Greenleaf's Seventh Annual Spring Fling Contest

So 12 hours have passed and I have accomplished alot with my fling. My amazement at how it is going with having enough time just continues to grow. I am loving the planning stage instead of rushing through it frantically. I have a small list of more costly purchases to spread out over the months and a long list of what I need to make myself. So this year is alot about making things. Also, about using what I have. I've got a couple of pieces that have been waiting to go in a build for over 20 years. Now's the time :) I have a plan. If I do as I say :) I will get to budget for a blank blank blank, which I have wanted for some time and a blank blank which I actually want long term for a different project.

Tonight, with my husband helping by listening and keeping me enthused with the first spark of an idea (thank you honey), I created something for my fling I have never seen and think is an incredible idea. This years fling was made to show off my little gimmick. Now, it in no way says I am creating a winning entry. It does however :) say I came up with something creative someone is going to like, no doubt, and I can't wait to see how many others projects feature some fun, possibly new ideas.

• Like 1

Watching people discover the creative process is always a joy!

After decades of teaching arts and crafts I feel the same. Learning the creative process is exciting. Living it has been a grand reward. I have been very fortunate in teaching and getting to be a part of bringing dormant talent to life in others. Teaching men to make miniature teddy bears, children to make things they would never have learned in school........there are alot of people out there who don't crave the journey as we do but once you point them in the right direction, WOW! The first time I saw my work featured in a magazine, crazy cool, the first time I saw one of my students work in a magazine, mind blowing! So yea, watching the process, being part of it, well, it's alot like being a parent and watching your child grow. Then, they get taller and smarter than you :)

• Like 1

Can someone please tell me the best tool to use to create a window or door where there is none (not that I am putting it in my fling or anything....)? Thanks!

• Like 1

Can someone please tell me the best tool to use to create a window or door where there is none (not that I am putting it in my fling or anything....)? Thanks!

Of course, it depends on the shape, but what I did for the skylight opening in the roof of my Rosedale was, first make a template of the opening and determine its position on the wall (or in my case roof). Trace the outline of the opening onto the piece you intend to cut. My opening was almost square so the next thing I did was drill a large diameter hole in two opposing corners of the square. I drilled the holes well within but close to the outline of the area I was removing. Then I used my BladeRunner (which is like an upside down fixed position jig saw) to cut from the holes out to the outline for the opening. I had to reposition the piece for each edge of the opening, but by making the holes I could then lift the blade guard and slide the piece over the blade. You could use this technique for hand cutting the opening as well. By doing it this way I have no cuts to fill or glue--just a nice smooth opening where I'm putting the skylight.

Be sure to determine any sill thickness for your opening before starting to cut. Hope this makes sense and helps. :)

• Like 2

A utility knife will do a nice job if you use a sharp blade and make multiple passes.

• Like 2

Another tip Kim, I find that the kit wood can be a bit tricky when it comes to splintering. When I run into a piece that is uncooperative, I put masking tape over the cut lines on both sides of the wood (front and back of wood piece, not both sides of the cut line) then re mark my cuts. When cutting with tape I usually keep some Goof Off? (I think that's what it's called) handy and keep my blade clean. A sharp blade is imperative but isn't always enough.

• Like 1

I used my Dremel Trio to cut double door openings into the blank end wall of the Pierce rehab, but I still went back and cleaned up the opening with my primary tool of choice, wich is the aforementioned utility knife with several new, SHARP! blades.

• Like 1

Another tip Kim, I find that the kit wood can be a bit tricky when it comes to splintering. When I run into a piece that is uncooperative, I put masking tape over the cut lines on both sides of the wood (front and back of wood piece, not both sides of the cut line) then re mark my cuts. When cutting with tape I usually keep some Goof Off? (I think that's what it's called) handy and keep my blade clean. A sharp blade is imperative but isn't always enough.

Could that be Goo Gone? Maybe both exist and it's a similar product? In a pinch baby oil works great to get rid of tape sticky mess too :D I think it's much cheaper too ;)

• Like 2

Next question...could someone please tell me how to measure the windows? I am looking into casings and not sure what to measure. Thanks again!

Kim

For each window,measure the height and width of the window opening and multiply x 2. Allow extra for mitering the corners. Need only one width if using a different trim for window sill.

• Like 1

I'm out of dry fit and decorating has begun! :D But, my rabbit pace is about to turn into the tortoise for all the detail work that's about to start. :artist:

• Like 2

Ack Brae, now that was a super quick start!!! I am still awaiting the _____ to arrive prior to actually decide where to put the first new cut so to speqk. More will follow...

Hugs

• Like 1

Mine is in the Frankenstein stage. I've cut out pieces that were there and cut out pieces to add where they weren't. There's spackle dust everywhere, just a big mess, but I'm having fun.

• Like 2

Mine is in the Frankenstein stage. I've cut out pieces that were there and cut out pieces to add where they weren't. There's spackle dust everywhere, just a big mess, but I'm having fun.

Referring to Frankenstein got me thinking.......hmmmm....... :)

• Like 1

Somebody mentioned ordering mini's from China or Japan or some place like that. It was a style I was interested in. Sh-h-h-h ...

Don't know if it was in this thread or not, but in any case, I can't find it.

Could whoever recently posted about getting orders from this area of the world or anyone who has successfully done this for that matter, please PM me where it is they do this ordering from and if there are things to be wary of in ordering from overseas.

I have only ordered from DHE when it comes to overseas.

Thank you very much.

The first dry fit is done and window openings have been added...but I'm stuck until I figure out what I'm going to do on my exterior walls. What I originally had planned won't work because the grain of the wood goes a different direction on the front wall than it does on the side walls.

Hey, I've got something left from another house that I didn't use, I bet that will work...but do I have enough? Hmmm....

Keli, I had a minute to look:Dalesq/Debora mentioned ordering from China in an old post,February, I think it was...I didn't look up Japan,but just searched Ordered from China and several answers came up.Debora's was most recent....Today is my day to play online as much as I want,soooo.Kat

Keli, I had a minute to look:Dalesq/Debora mentioned ordering from China in an old post,February, I think it was...I didn't look up Japan,but just searched Ordered from China and several answers came up.Debora's was most recent....Today is my day to play online as much as I want,soooo.Kat

Yes, I've ordered items that have shipped from China, and also from the UK. It has been through eBay, so there are certain protections for buyers that is part of eBay's policies. The things I got from China were small: mini ceramic vase, wire wicker chaise, 1/25 scale modern kitchen kit, that kind of thing. I don't think I spent more than $10 on any one item. All costs were built into the price so I didn't have to pay any other fees. I have not ordered directly from any of these suppliers, all were through eBay, so I have no information about that. Shipments always take extra time coming from over seas, usually 4 weeks.

i have ordered things from a shop called Hobbylinksjapan. they have a good selection of mini stuff in different scales. its mainly for railways and dioramas, but its worth having a look.

And oh yeah... my spring fling just arrived. :bounce:

• Like 1

Hello - waving from Northern Cyprus. I'm on holiday and missing being able to join in properly with this thread but I'mstill following all of your posts with interest. It certainly sounds as if this is going to be one really special fling this year. Good luck to all participants, I hope everything goes smoothly and you all end up with a perfect rendition of the vision in your heads right now.

• Like 3