Blocking people

I hate to have to ask this question...but is it possible to "hide" a person, so that I dont see their activity everytime I come to the forum? Because its always right there in my face and this persons activity has nothing to do with dollhouses, and since this is a dollhouse forum I find it highly annoying that I have to read these posts everyday and it really surprises me that nothing has been done about this by admin. Its a situation that I feel is ruining my GL experience. Thanks for leting me know.

• Like 1

Hi Karin,

I don't know if there is a way you can block a member's posts from appearing in the forum, but if they message you, you can definitely block them. Have you contacted any of the admins/moderators for a solution? They may want to see about having this member move their posts to the appropriate off-topic thread. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Johanna

I just tried doing all the blocking items suggested in the preference section and it does not work to block on the status updates.

So other than turning off the status updates for everyone, I think you are stuck with it unless the admin folks do something about it.

If you don't care about seeing any of the other people's status messages, it is probably the simplest solution.

I had mine turned off for a long time cuz I just couldn't get used to them. I'm not a facebook fan so I wasn't used to all the extra do-dads.

After a while I turned it back on and now I do sometimes find it useful or funny or uplifting or such to read them.

Matt, you can hide all status updates, if that's what you're wanting to do. Hover over to the right where it says Recent Status Updates. An X should come up. Then click the X, and the updates will be hidden.

Hover over what? I don't see anything that says "Recent Status Updates". Just curious - I haven't wanted to block anybody. When I log on I go straight to the View New Content link. That brings up everything that has been posted since I was last on - or any other time frame I choose.

:hmm: When I click on my name at upper right, I now get a block to update my status--and nothing else. No way to get to my account information for links to gallery, blog, etc. What did I do and how can I undo it?

BTW, Karin, I know where you're coming from. There is one member whose responses used to annoy me on a regular basis. I blocked her messages, and now when she posts I get a notice that says something like "You've blocked this person. Do you want to see this message anyway?" I never do, but I do appreciate the notice.

Hover over what? I don't see anything that says "Recent Status Updates". Just curious - I haven't wanted to block anybody. When I log on I go straight to the View New Content link. That brings up everything that has been posted since I was last on - or any other time frame I choose.

CJ, you probably already have status updates blocked if you don't see them. As for unhiding them - that was a bit trickier. And I'm not sure I'm awake enough yet to tey and explain. Move your mouse around under the new content button, and look for a faint little arrow thing. That will unhide them.

CJ, you probably already have status updates blocked if you don't see them. As for unhiding them - that was a bit trickier. And I'm not sure I'm awake enough yet to tey and explain. Move your mouse around under the new content button, and look for a faint little arrow thing. That will unhide them.

You have to be on the forum home page to do this. Tracy's right ... the double arrow thingy is very small, right under the new content button. When you click on it, it opens a panel with the most recent status updates.

I tried the ignore user several months ago, but it doesnt work on status updates.

As another member pointed out, these DAILY off topic posts, bump off the board, other, miniatures related updates.

I can hide the status updates, although I really wish I didnt have to because people are now posting there more than they do in general mini talk. So if you hide them, you miss out on a lot of questions, and other content related to dollhouses, which of course I love to see.

I think that someone should just report it to a moderator...I'm in agreement that I'm sick of seeing it...at least to the extent it is...and I don't want to block all just because of this...maybe a mod could address it tactfully so as not to offend but to see if a change could come?

• Like 1

:hmm: When I click on my name at upper right, I now get a block to update my status--and nothing else. No way to get to my account information for links to gallery, blog, etc. What did I do and how can I undo it?

I guess I didn't do anything. For a while the status block was half hidden behind the green bar. Then for a while all of the status block would show up, but nothing else. Now when I click my name, I get the status block and links for My Profile and My Settings. I know there are other links below them, but there is no way to scroll down to see them much less click on them. This is very very strange.

Ok, now I know what you're talking about. Yes, I have it blocked - off the screen and out of my mind, I guess, as I had forgotten it was even there! That was a new feature with the latest upgrade, on a panel on the right. It was sort of like the Facebook format and I didn't like it at all. As you say, it usually had nothing to do with minis. So I guess I figured out how to block it but I don't remember what I did. Hope you can figure out how to do it - I found it most annoying.

Now that everyone has gotten used to using the status updates, it's where a lot of the content is going. If you notice general mini talk can get pretty stale and the same topics will sit there for days if not weeks. For that reason I would miss a lot of why I come here. To talk about dollhouses, see dollhouse, and help others if I can and get help in return. I find this situation as annoying as if I were sitting in a dentist office and had to listen to someone's cell phone conversation.

• Like 1

Now that everyone has gotten used to using the status updates, it's where a lot of the content is going. If you notice general mini talk can get pretty stale and the same topics will sit there for days if not weeks. For that reason I would miss a lot of why I come here. To talk about dollhouses, see dollhouse, and help others if I can and get help in return. I find this situation as annoying as if I were sitting in a dentist office and had to listen to someone's cell phone conversation.

I agree. Like CJ, I go to the View New Content link on arrival. I haven't been checking the Status Updates and really don't want to have to spend the time on them. I don't like the way the Status Updates are being used.

I hate to have to ask this question...but is it possible to "hide" a person, so that I dont see their activity everytime I come to the forum? Because its always right there in my face and this persons activity has nothing to do with dollhouses, and since this is a dollhouse forum I find it highly annoying that I have to read these posts everyday and it really surprises me that nothing has been done about this by admin. Its a situation that I feel is ruining my GL experience. Thanks for leting me know.

This topic has bounced all over the map, so I've gone back to the original question.

Are you talking about the posts in the Status Updates or are you talking about individual member posts in a topic thread? I see several posts in the Status Updates that don't have anything to do with dollhouses. I don't see a way to block individuals short of closing that panel and blocking everyone's status update.

I didn't realize the Status Update panel existed until today. I don't plan to turn it on. I wish members would realize that an exchange of good information there is something of a waste, as in the older forum, where PMing with good information kept it from the general membership. The idea of the forum is sharing information about miniatures, eh?

I really don't see any problem with them, except for the situation I posted about originally and everyone who sees the updates daily knows exactly who I'm referring to, which should b pretty telling.

Im talking only about Status Updates. I'm not suggesting that they should always be about miniatures, but there is one "member" who uses it as if it were his personal daily diary, I keep expecting the situation to resolve itself but it seems it will go on forever and I can't take it anymore.