Blocking people

Aha! I have been straight to "New Content" when I open the GL forum, so I don't get to the homepage at all, since before this last update, so I haven't been reading the status updates, either. I just bopped over to the home page and opened up the status updates and there's no way I'm reading 319 pages of stuff! I'm perfectly happy with the forum divisions we have had; I don't want to spend all day online reading when I can spend the time building & making things. I did see what Karin was referring to, though. I would just skip that person's posts, but since I haven't seen anything from them on the regular forum, including an intro in the Newcomers' Forum, I wasn't aware of their existence.

The more I tell myself I just wont look, the more Im focused on it and I end up looking. Which is why I asked if I could just block.

Ive loved and been an active member here since 2005, and now I feel this sense if dread whenever I open up the home page. Sorry to be so dramatic about it, but I thought the situation would resolve itself and it hasnt.

Holly, and anyone else who doesnt see the Status Updates regularly, this behaviour has been going on daily since the new format change. So, how long has it been? A year?

I find myself wanting to say that this forum is not your Facebook page or your Twitter page...some stuff is COMPLETELY irrelevant and unnecessary and annoying, I do try to just ignore it, but I'm also not going to void all my content based on this one thing.

My problem relating to this is lately I find with some newer members who own miniature businesses are not following the forum guidelines that some of the rest of us do.

I think that there should be a limit to how and when this area is used for promoting their business. There is one member that is an established business that puts up "status updates" and "posts" and when you go to read the post, thinking it's about one thing, i.e. a miniature discussion that I'd like to post in, and it's not! It is deceiving because it's really just a plug for what this "store" can do/has whatever. I understand that they are a miniature dealer, but enough is enough.

I am NOT trying to call out other members who have businesses who post in the Ebay links and the Trading Posts, that's one thing entirely different...they don't make the post out to be something it's not, it's titled with "suchandsuch is now available at my store"... they also don't typically post 10 things a week either...that's great, because you read that and then link to the store and it's in the right spot, and typically they are offering much more to other posts and replys and being an active member.

I'd like to see something where I could literally "block" who I want to and just not see their particular content.

• Like 2

Agreed. And I've noticed that too. I always think to myself, this post brought to you by such and suchs miniature store. Im sorry to hear that there is no block feature.

• Like 1

The impression I got from my admittedly brief glance at the status update section is that this was put in to try to bring back formerly active members who have become far more active on the social networking sites and no longer post to the regular forum. As someone who has no interest in nor intention of ever joining any social network I doubt that I'll ever open the status updates again. It's an awful lot to put on the moderators and administrators to keep up with all that content in addition to the regular forum content, especially as I don't see anything about keeping status updates strictly mini-relevant. Maybe with a few more abuses it'll go the way of our former chatroom...

Just a thought, but since this is a somewhat new feature(status updates) we should have some established guidelines for what is appropriate in that area. Personally with the new format and many new members and absence of old members who knew the ropes...I think a general Forum Etiquette topic is called for.

The status updates section reads a lot like the popular thread "what's everyone working on today?" but it's more organized and easier to follow and respond to, so I prefer it over the similar thread in general mini talk.

I just PM'd the poster in question, who had no idea the topics were not fully appreciated. I received a huge apology and a vow not to post off-topic any longer.

See what can happen when a situation is addressed instead of whining about it? :thumb:

My problem relating to this is lately I find with some newer members who own miniature businesses are not following the forum guidelines that some of the rest of us do.

Please report this when it happens. I am on this board almost every day but don't have time to read all of the threads or updates, so the only way I would know to deal with something like this is if it's brought to my attention. I imagine Tracy's in the same boat. (And I think we're the only two mods at the moment...? Could be wrong!)

I just PM'd the poster in question' date=' who had no idea the topics were not fully appreciated. I received a huge apology and a vow not to post off-topic any longer.[/quote']

Thank you.

In general, I agree with some of the comments here that things are posted in status updates that would be better in the General Mini Talk forum. Personally I'd like it if we could post status updates but they didn't get replies, so people wouldn't be tempted to post a question there. But on the other hand, I'm sure there are people who post things they think aren't "important enough" for its own thread, in the status updates. And I wouldn't want those people to feel like they shouldn't post at all.

Anyway - thanks everyone for the feedback. Maybe it would help to come up with some guidelines.

I don't think it's our place to openly confront another member. I remember another very odd situation we had several years ago and when it was addressed it turned into a nightmare for those who had to be involved. That is potentially a dangerous situation.

I didn't like that feature from the get-go when this was all updated. I prefer the original format, with a subject, and ad-infinitum comments; and they can always be brought back into discussion. There is a little arrow at the top (I finally loacated it) that will open/close that section. I closed it long ago and had forgotten all about the Status Updates - therefore they have never bothered me :)

Why don't you just click the arrow, Karin, and it will all go away. Like Holly, I come onto the forum and hit the View New Content button, which I have set to show what's been posted since I was last on. Works great! I also keep the screen set so the main forum page fills my monitor - so anything off to the side is lost anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Boy, glad those postings are gone. Can't believe they went on for as long as they did. Thought I must be the only one annoyed by them.

Thank you Karin for bringing up the problem and thank you Kathie for dealing with it directly.

Valerie

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I hate to have to ask this question...but is it possible to "hide" a person, so that I dont see their activity everytime I come to the forum? Because its always right there in my face and this persons activity has nothing to do with dollhouses, and since this is a dollhouse forum I find it highly annoying that I have to read these posts everyday and it really surprises me that nothing has been done about this by admin. Its a situation that I feel is ruining my GL experience. Thanks for leting me know.

HI Karin, it's funny that I just found this post today because I was wondering the same thing lately about blocking people. I for one am glad you asked!!

HI Karin, it's funny that I just found this post today because I was wondering the same thing lately about blocking people. I for one am glad you asked!!

To block someone, click on the little arrow to the right of your name at the very top of the frame for a drop-down menu. Click on Manage Ignore Prefs. There you can add the name of the person you want to block.

To block someone, click on the little arrow to the right of your name at the very top of the frame for a drop-down menu. Click on Manage Ignore Prefs. There you can add the name of the person you want to block.

Thank you, Kathie, your answer made it nice and clear for me to understand...sometimes I have such a hard time with this computer stuff. :dunno:

• 1 month later...

Glad you told us how to do that - I didn't know it was there. But then, I've never wanted to block anyone in particular. But I did find that sidebar annoying so I've blocked the whole thing. I find it hard to realize there might be someone on this beloved forum I would want to block! :hug: