Dolls or no dolls?

Robin

This may seem kinda weird, but do any of you NOT put dolls in your houses? I know it's a DOLL house but I just don't care much for them. I was thinking of maybe doing my house like it was a weekday morning. The family woke up late and just left in a rush to get off to school, work, etc. Something like that. Or maybe the family is on vacation. What do you think?

That's a great idea. I don't think you need dolls in every house but it's a personal preference. You may find once you've finished your house, it would look better with one or more.

Unless they are made of resin, I don't care much for dolls either.

This may seem kinda weird, but do any of you NOT put dolls in your houses? I know it's a DOLL hose but I just don't care much for them. I was thinking of maybe doing my house like it was a weekday morning. The family woke up late and just left in a rush to get off to school, work, etc. Something like that. Or maybe the family is on vacation. What do you think?

I don't have dolls in my dollhouse either. I don't know that I'll ever get any dolls for it. For one thing I haven't ever seen any that fit into my dollhouse era. I suppose if I had picked Victorian I might find dolls that fit, but I didn't. And for another thing I think most dolls just look weird.

Kathy

NO! to Dolls tehehe

i don't do doll either, i can never make them as 'real' as i like things to look, they would just spoil my houses

the dolls i like and would look good cost waaaayyy tooo much for me. so i don;t bother, the dolls i have tried to make and dress just look like chunky dolls.

what we need are some little tiny real life people, wouldn't they appriciate the things we make for them.

if you have ever read the indian in the cupboard, thats cool,

I have put some in certain houses to create a 'scene' (like the sportsbar I'm doing will have a couple patrons and a bartender), but don't think they're necessary to each and every house. Think it depends on your personal vision of what your art should be :blink:

I need the dolls. I love posing them for different scenes:

sitting around a card table playing a game

dad reading to a child

picnic in the garden

kids playing with their toys

ladies sitting around doing crafts or having tea

men at a chess/checker board

sleeping child being tucked into bed

trick or treating

But that's me. I collect a wide assortment of dolls. I've got a large collection of Heidi Ott dolls - they're very poseable (and pretty). More recently I've added character dolls ... porcelain dolls that are moulded into a set pose and/or with a more expressive face.

If I didn't place the dolls in the scenes, I would definitely set up "lived in" scenes.

-Susanne

Hi Robin, I don't put dolls in my houses. I have always loved the effect of details in the house giving one the sense that the occupants had just left, like you said, on a week day morning. The open newspaper on the kitchen table, the towel drying on the bathtub rim, the clothes on the teenage bedroom floor, all give the sense that people really live there but are just out at the moment.

I wasn't going to put dolls in the Orchid until I saw a resin doll (Betsy) in the HBS catalog. She reminded me of my Aunt Mayme, and it came to me in a flash that it's Aunt Mayme, long passed, who is guiding the decoration of this little cottage.

although i don't do dolls in my own houses, I love to see them them in other peoples. love looking at them on the web etc.

but when i went to my friends house and saw her houses for the first time, she was talking about her dolls in her houses, and i didn't expect to like how it looked, but i was very surprised that i liked them in her hosues, they looked like they belonged, she had done a very good job with them had lovley furniture and accessories to compliment them.

but still don't do them for me !!

Hi Robin,

Lots of people don't put dolls in their houses. The lady who runs the local dollshop has lots of her own room boxes around and only one of them has a doll in it - and that one is a portrait doll of her husband. When I first started thinking about getting into miniatures I said NO WAY! No Dolls for Me!...but then I saw Jamie Carringtons dolls and that was it I was hooked completely into miniatures and into dolls :blink: Now I would love to have dolls for my settings but they have to be just the right ones. Here's a link to his site - I am so enamoured of his dolls - what tallent!

James Carrington Dolls

Anyway it's a matter of personal prefference. Some people love dolls and some don't like them at all B) So which ever you want to do you're in good company either way :D

-David :(

Thank you all for your input. I didn't think a lot of people would understand a dollhouse with no dolls!

Hydroped - that website was cool. Still no dolls for me but his creations are absolutely amazing!!

I'm like Susanne, I have to have dolls in my dollhouses. Where would the Beacon Hill be without Miss Pennethorne? And I have to have Hyacinth Bucket for 'Hyacinth's Periwinkle Tea Cottage' (which I'm going to start working on in the next week or so . . . yay!)

I wasn't going to put a doll into the Orchid (Mother Goose's house), but when I saw Gracie in the HBS catalogue, she just reminded me so much of MG, so in she went.

I believe it's very much a personal preference, so dolls or no dolls the houses themselves are still fantastic!!

no dolls for me YET

there are some I really like but will never be able to afford

the affordable ones have been done and I dont care for the faces.

I think dolls can add to the realism of a house but I think I am with those who like the house as the family has just steped out for the day.

its all a matter of personal opinion!

nutti :blink:

• Like 1

I'm not a doll kind of person either. I had dolls when I was a kid, but I never really played with them. (I decapitated a few, but technically that's not playing with them) :blink: I don't really feel much of a need to put dolls in my houses unless they become a part of the decor. There are residents in the Pierce just because I stumbled across four victorian dolls that accessorized the house really well. :D The witches house has a resident because one of David's dolls was just *perfect* for it. But some houses just don't need anyone in them.

Deb

I'm not a doll kind of person either. I had dolls when I was a kid, but I never really played with them. (I decapitated a few, but technically that's not playing with them) :

Deb

The dolls that you perform "procedures" on would be perfect in a Haunted House, Graveyard, or other Halloween type of setting.

-Susanne

I used to NOT like dolls in my settings because I pictured MYSELF in my houses and could not do that with a doll in the room. 2 Years ago, I started buying dolls from a lady on ebay cause my friend had 2 of her soft sculptured dolls and now I am addicted to buying dolls in miniature!

My problem is that most of the doll house dolls are too doll like, I am going to build a Miss Marples cottage, actually the Glencroft but haven's een any dolls that would suit at the price I can afford. I just ordered James Carrington's book about making polymar clay models and hope I will be able then to make my own. Weii, I can dream!

Joan