Hurray! Started working on my "Gull Cottage" again..FINALLY!

what2craftnow

After months of doing absolutely no mini-ing at all, I FINALLY got out my languishing 1/2 scale Chantilly (aka Gull Cottage from The Ghost and Mrs. Muir/1947 version) and began working on her again. YEA!

I admit, I was totally fed up with trying to figure out the stonework that was necessary, and I absolutely bawked at doing paperclay. Yes, I have done paperclay before, in 1:12 and in 1:48 (although the 1:48 was REALLY rough looking..sigh), and I love the effects of paperclay, but quite honestly, I just wasn't up to the challenge, and so, I put the whole project off because I just didn't like ANYTHING that was out there. Then, HBS offered a new basalt paper with slightly raised brick design recently (which I actually purchased for a totally different 1:12 project), and lo and behold, it occurred to me...why not this? I decided that I could embellish and "emphasize" isolated bricks with thin cork drawer liner painted and cut in the shape of existing bricks, thereby giving a touch of added dimension to the whole look. It's not perfect, and certainly doesn't offer the realism that paperclay would, but it sure was a whole lot easier on this old gal, and still gives the look that I was craving...so overall, I am a happy camper. No..it isn't advertised as suitable for 1:24 scale, but I think it still is small enough that it is believable, and quite frankly..it's ON there now...so I'm callin' it a DONE DEAL..LOL Here's a couple pics of my progress at any rate..so ya'll can see what I'm ranting about. post-2296-0-80526400-1327617509_thumb.jppost-2296-0-17594000-1327617540_thumb.jp

Oh, and those wayward vines were just hangin' out...I fully intend to 'nail' their little tentacles down once I get that far. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks ya'll. Hoping I get my HBS order today (more paper bricks) so I can finish that portion and start tackling that 2nd floor balcony (not sure how on earth I'm gonna pull THAT one off, but it'll get done somehow).

Any ideas for something like chain-link fencing in 1/2 scale size that would be easily bent for that odd bow of the1st floor bay would be entirely welcome here. I have 6 posts that it will have to attach to..ugh! Here's a photo of the movie-set house to give an idea what I'm babbling about.

post-2296-0-57432600-1327656365_thumb.jp

As you can tell, my little place won't be an exact replica, but it will be close enough to suit me. Bashing isn't my strongest suit..lol

Thanks in advance for any balcony fencing ideas.

Chris, the stonework turned out wonderfully well! As for the balcony railing ... It appears to be vertical posts with thin horizontal bits. Could you not replicate it with square dowels or posts from HBS with 1/8" dowels for the horizontals (which I know have a proper name that is currently eluding me)? You don't really mean to put something resembling chain link fencing up there, do you?

For "chain link" what about stretching plastic mesh bag pieces such as onions or Bon Bell cheeses come in, and gluing them to the dowels as Kathie suggests? The basalt paper worked beautifully. There is no one single size of brick, and yours look just fine for 1:24.

I'm not quite sure what I mean to put up there Kathie..LOL

Here's a better photo of the production shot of balcony.post-2296-0-85116700-1327672062_thumb.jp

It does have chain link, although I suppose I could make whatever the heck I want..who's gonna fight me on it anyway? :spar: (I mean, other than myself..lol)

Holly, I tried the mesh stuff, and it works too, but is a little flimsier than I was comfortable with. I may revisit that idea again though. I really did like that it was less distracting looking.

While rummaging around in my "stuff", I found some diamond patterned metal/mesh from a window screen insert. It might work, but I'm a-thinkin' it is just too 'busy' and detracts from the window patterns straight lines. (please forgive the photo's 'crooked' panes..I really must find a way to secure them without gumming up the acetate window..ugh) post-2296-0-43988400-1327674064_thumb.jp

I don't know. After all these years, you'd think I could just make a decision without 'what if-ing" myself to death. (sigh) Thanks for all the support dear Greenleafer's. It is much appreciated.

I like the metal mesh you found. It's a good scale. I don't think it detracts, but if it bothers you, could you paint it (and the balcony rail and uprights) a pale gray instead of white? I think it won't detract from the white window/door trim quite so much and would blend nicely with the stone walls.

Thank you Kathie! The gray did the trick. It was originally bright silver, so I sprayed it white, but you were spot on...the gray is perfect. And it is supposed to be a house on a cliff by the sea... how much luck would they have had with paint there around the turn of the century anyway...lol

Again, thank you. Sometimes the obvious escapes me. Well, actually, it escapes ME a whole lot...but thats another tale in itself.

I'm glad it worked for you! I know how it gets when you're close to a project and not able to see the forest for the trees. An outside eye can be helpful or at least get you thinking in a different direction.

• 3 weeks later...

post-2296-0-00752400-1329519011_thumb.jppost-2296-0-11150500-1329519038_thumb.jp

Thought I'd resurrect the old post rather than start new to ask opinions on roofing.

I'm using Dresden paper lace (one of my absolute FAV things for SO many mini projects) for Gull Cottage's roof, however, have never tried it on scale houses.. up to now.

Need honest opinions at this point from fellow miniaturists:

Too ornate? Too unrealistic? Too 'chateau-like'? Too 'something' for a cottage by the sea???? Have I gone totally off my rocker? (highly likely..sigh)

Ok, I know I'm WAY too far into the choice at this point to reverse course, but needed that outside opinion from those who actually do this too, not just family members wandering by and saying.."Yeah sure, looks great..whatever!" LOL Also, any color ideas welcome as well. I was thinking when all was said and done, I would use chalk to shade and highlight. So, with that all said...fire away!

• Like 1

I would grate a bit of white chalk and take a cotton ball, touch it to some of the chalk and lightly tap it onto a SAMPLE of your lace roofing material and then EXPERIMENT with another cotton ball, your finger, a soft paintbrush, etc, to see which effects you like.

Wow! This looks great. Congrats on your progress! Sometimes when I feel like I am running out of steam I look at more gallery pictures for ideas. That way I feel like I accomplished something..even if it's just learning or appreciating something!