Does anyone know why these are going for so much?

madhatter

Im just a little confused about why all the items from this seller are going for crazy prices. Iv'e seen them on ebay before and they never shot through the roof like this. It seems only recently that the prices for this artists work have become sky high.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this or has any ideas why. I know that its beautiful work, ive just never seen food get this high before.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Piece-Montee-Traditiona...1QQcmdZViewItem

Jenn

Holy smokes!! That's a hefty price for a miniature wedding cake . . . I didn't even pay close to that much for my REAL wedding cake!

I haven't heard of this artisan before, so I can't say why the prices are so high. Maybe someone out there can enlighten us! ;)

Wow!! I agree with Teresa. I'm not sure I'd pay that much even for a cake I could eat!

Then I noticed that one of the artisans is Miniman. I didn't know that Dean was working out of France these days! ;)

Deb

That might explain why we're seeing 'doubles'!! ;)

I think you're on to something!! Dean is like Patty Duke........there are really two of him. He has a twin in France that he doesn't know about, but because of genetics, they're both drawn to seeking their fortunes in minis. Someday, they'll have a chance meeting at an international mini show and discover the truth. Then they'll secretly change places and Dean will live in France for a year making mini food while the other Miniman takes over the forum and we'll all end up wishing we'd learned to read French on our cereal boxes.

Deb

Im just a little confused about why all the items from this seller are going for crazy prices. Iv'e seen them on ebay before and they never shot through the roof like this. It seems only recently that the prices for this artists work have become sky high.

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this or has any ideas why. I know that its beautiful work, ive just never seen food get this high before.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Piece-Montee-Traditiona...1QQcmdZViewItem

Jenn

Anorexics delight? It's probably a great way to diet too.'You can look but you can't munch'! I have no idea but that is waaaaaaaaaay too much.

That cake does look nice though. Psst, I wonder how much he charges for the crossaint? ( I hope I spelt that right).

WHOA!!!! Don't know about anyone else, but I wasn't terribly impressed...the cake looks like it would be easy enough for anyone to copy...of course, what do I know???? I'm just an amateur and I didn't study technical design for 4 years...maybe that is why the prices are so high? Call me cheap...but for that kind of money, I would expect a whole lot more cake!!

This has been a topic on a lot of forums I belong too and I think there items are really nice but I am not sure what makes them so special to go at the prices it does. This is a question ALL miniaturists want to know ;)

They look Yummy though :lol: ;)

Well the cake looks good, but wowsers, what a price ;) and there were 10 bidders already???

Not into mini food (maybe I should be at these prices) so I have to admit I have no idea who this French guy is so, please, is he famous or something?

I think you're on to something!! Dean is like Patty Duke........there are really two of him. He has a twin in France that he doesn't know about, but because of genetics, they're both drawn to seeking their fortunes in minis. Someday, they'll have a chance meeting at an international mini show and discover the truth. Then they'll secretly change places and Dean will live in France for a year making mini food while the other Miniman takes over the forum and we'll all end up wishing we'd learned to read French on our cereal boxes.

ROTFLMHO!!!!!!! ;) My stomach hurts I laughed so hard!!

lol!

all that money for the ONE item?

I dun thin sooooo!

not from E-bay

now if I were to go to a shop or show I would expect to find such prices

not that I would have any interest in purchasing at such a price but

NOT from e-bay

that is just nutty and I should know!

nutti ;)

Is it cover in 24 karat gold? :lol: It doesn't look very inviting. ;)

We had an exchange student from france. She got married several years back. I am going to go through her wedding pictures and see if her cake looks like that.

I don't really understand why these are selling for so much either but sometimes when I see something like this that I don't understand I think perhaps it's a sentimental thing. I mean.. I'm not normally turned on by mini foods anyway. This guys work is really awesome but I like furniture or dolls a lot more than mini food.. but I could see it if perhaps someone had a cake like this at their own wedding perhaps it was a real sentimental thing and just meant a lot to them to have in miniature - especially because this looks like a very cultural wedding cake and not what I would normally think of.. so maybe there is some emotional ties for some folks out there <?> I dunno. I do know when I tell people how much I paid for a paperclay horney toad I get a lot of people thinking I'm a lunatic.. but to me it was worth it - and for the record it was a LOT less expensive than this cake ;)

-David :lol:

I know when I get around to finishing up 'Hyacinth's Periwinkle Tea Cottage' I'm going to want some pastries and whatnot, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money! Does anyone know of a good book for such things? I might try making my own since I'm going to need so many! ;)

Apperantly he's the smart one... there are 11 bids on that thing.

I just did a quick check of the people who are bidding. None has anything for sale and all of them have great recommendations from previous sellers. Apparently they are very serious collectors.

I'm flabbergasted! Yes, the food looks wonderful - but - are they kidding!!! :) Who pays that sort of money for mini cakes? Or any cakes?? Sue Heaser shows you how to make the choux pastry (otherwise known as cream puffs, or profiteroles) in one of her books. They're really easy to do - I did them, and they look very realistic. I'm thinking of moving to France .... mustn't forget to pack Sue's book ... :)

I'm flabbergasted! Yes, the food looks wonderful - but - are they kidding!!! :) Who pays that sort of money for mini cakes? Or any cakes?? Sue Heaser shows you how to make the choux pastry (otherwise known as cream puffs, or profiteroles) in one of her books. They're really easy to do - I did them, and they look very realistic. I'm thinking of moving to France .... mustn't forget to pack Sue's book ... :)

Yep looks like France is the place to be if you want to make money on cakes. Not real ones though.

What a bizarre world we live in. Real wedding cakes cost the same as that mini one.

Well we all know that the French are CRAZY anyway. Just kidding. Don't want to offend anyone. There was another topice renently about paying such high prices for mini things and I know I wrote that I would never pay that much for something mini. I think it was a topic about artist dolls. Wonderful dolls and all, but not paying 4 times what I paid for my DH for a tiny show piece of food!!

I think I have Sue's book. Can't wait to start some of the projects! I'm sure with a little practice I can make something similar. Well, maybe a lot of practice!