What do you put in the drawers?

CatColorado

What sort of things do you put in furniture drawers? I have a small endtable with three drawers and I want to fill the drawers. In my real house, I might have a sewing project, a remote control, or a magazine/magazine clippings. I was wondering what other people did, other than leave them empty.

If you ask my husband, he will tell you I put in whatever will fit :o :D

Wow.. those sound like my drawers :lol: In the living room I have an old dresser (full sized) that the top had been ruined on by water damage - I laid white tiles all over the top, put a smal free standing shelf there and it's covered with my african violets and some small orchids.. in side the drawers I try to keep most of my mini furniture inside it. - at least I keep all in that will fit.. the stuff that doesn't fit .. well I could probably use another of those dressers if I had a place to put it.

As for my mini furniture drawers - I haven't put anything inside my mini drawers yet. Occasionally I think about what will go inside furniture when I get them in the mini houses... but they may just remain empty.

-David

In my mini houses I put keys, candles, books, office supplies, clothes, brushes and of course kitchen stuff. Really all the things you would have in you real house would be great for a mini one. Sometimes I use them to hold small pieces that I want to change out every once in a while.

I don't have many drawers besides dressers and kitchen drawers in the real house.

The drawers in my real-life end tables have stamps, stationery, pens, paper, drink coasters (also used to keep ashtrays handy, but have kicked that bad habit :lol: ) and miscellaneous bits and pieces. If I had a television in the living room, I would put the remote, and TV Guide in. If I had a telephone in the living room, my personal telephone/address book would also go in - but the phone is in the kitchen, so that's where I keep my little directory. Funny though, I do keep the big "official" telephone book on the shelf under the drawer of one of the end tables in the living room! I haven't got to the point where I'm ready to fill my mini end table drawers - but I shall put in as many mini bits and pieces as will fit when the time comes. :D

I actually did away with the tables in my (real) living room that had storage -- but, in addition to the usual stuff that everyone keeps in theirs, I kept my horde of Godiva. Now that I don't have drawers in there, I've lost 5 pounds! :D

My mini drawers actually do have stuff in them. I have a silver cabinet with drawers that hold my 'silver' service in the Colonial and tiny lacy placemats and loose candles in the buffet and the kitchen drawers have all kinds of necessities. Now Ms Putahexonya has very interesting drawers in her haunted house -- they hold mice and severed hands along with her witchly unmentionables. I think dollhouses should have a surprise or two in them. :lol: Of course, a severed hand is probably a bit extreme for your purpose, so perhaps a key or two, a candle, a box of mini candy?

Oh yeah, candles and matches would be good! You never know when there will be a black out :D . Or maybe a flashlight... might be easier to make than the itty bitty matches. I was thinking playing cards might be a nice touch.

Well lets see.....In my real house I have some wrapping paper, ribbon, a bunch of junk! I realize that in my dh it will be much neater and organized than my real house. Then again there are no moving people to mess anything up! The bathrooms stay clean, kitchen etc.!!! DH people are much more cooperative :D

My Mini Mundus sewing table has a tomato pincushion, dressmaker's measuring tape, scissors, spools of thread I made from cutting down & turning spools from bamboo skewers, and a pattern, some of it laid out on fabric.

The kitchen table drawer so far has a rolling pin because I haven't yet made the wooden spoons, grater & whisk I keep thinking about.

When I get the china cupboard into the house I made it for I have linens & dishes to put in it. The Chrysnbon curio cabinet has knick-knacks in it.

In our charity dollhouse, we put excess silverware, dishes and napkins in the drawers and the cupboard at the bottom of the dry sink. And left them ajar, so they could be seen. :D

In our charity dollhouse, we put excess silverware, dishes and napkins in the drawers and the cupboard at the bottom of the dry sink. And left them ajar, so they could be seen. :D

That looks awesome! So real

I like to put in little things that the wee folk would need in that particular room, and I also like to leave doors ajar so that you can see in just enough to wonder what all is in there - like something baking in the oven. I put in pens, paper, cards, stationary, pipe and supplies in the man's office or by his favorite chair, scissors, clothes in dresser drawers, serving pieces in the dining room, anything that seems like it should be there.

Carol

In my Lily's kitchen, I put pots and pans in the island cabinet and put a pot holder (made from a small square of a handiwipe) hanging from the knob. I also put some china in the dining room cabinet thingy (darn old age is showing up and cant remember what you call it.) It's not a china cabinet but a serving cabinet type thingy. I also have some eyeglasses on a table by the sofa.

Oh yeah forgot to mention in my real house every drawer I have is stuffed with something. :lol:

I also put some china in the dining room cabinet thingy (darn old age is showing up and cant remember what you call it.) It's not a china cabinet but a serving cabinet type thingy.

A sideboard?

Oh, you had to go ask that question didn't you! :lol: I have this weird psychological theory about me and drawers. (it applies to closets too, but I'll stick with the drawer topic) See, everything visible in my house is in perfect order. My living room usually looks like a magazine picture. Everything is neat and tidy and in it's place. I've been known to use a ruler to trim the fringe on throw rugs so its perfectly even. And I've measured the distance from coasters to the edge of the coffee table to make sure they're exactly the same.

However!! In the places where you can't see, things get shoved, piled and dumped with no real order to them. My drawers are a jumbled mess with things just tossed in them so they're out of the way.

I think it defines my psyche as well. On the outside, everything looks all normal, but if you get a look inside of me, you'll find the weirdest collection of stuff just tossed around and it's very messy. :D

I also have a fixation with anything with lots of drawers. My favorite piece of real life furniture is a chinese apothocary cabinet Bruce got for my birthday a few years ago. I love antique roll top desks and secretaries because of all the little nooks and crannies and drawers. But I never put anything in those. <shaking head side to side> Nope. If the drawers are really special and cool, I don't put anything in them at all. All of the drawers in my mini furniture are empty too.

<giggling> Now that was just more information than you really wanted to know wasn't it!

Deb

Deb, I hate you!!

I have ALWAYS wanted a apothecary cabinet. Always. In fact, several yrs ago this antique store had a huge chinese one in red with lots of drawers. But we were new parents and it wasnt a wise purchase at the time. I could kick myself now.

If I see a cabinet that kinda sorta looks like it has lots of lil drawers, i have to run over and open them. If it isnt a illusion, i start to drool! :lol:

I leave the drawers empty.

I see no point of filling them when they are closed...althogh in a kitchen I might put things in drawers and leave them open for you to peep inside but in my real house and in my mini houses drawers and cabnits open make me a lil...welll...errmmm....NUTTI

drawers and cabnits open can make the rooms seem messy to me. but I do find it charming to view other folks houses and be able to see inside the drawers and things...just not at my house.

I think its another of those personal choices we have to make as we decorate.

nutti :lol: