So absentminded!

chattycathy66

Can't believe this...building a 1/144 scale farmhouse...yesterday, sat the tiny bag with all the window/door parts on my bedside table...and today it's gone! Now question is...did I put it somewhere so I wouldn't "lose it" and don't remember where...or some "little fingers" knocked it off table and dog carried it away...grrrr...oh well, guess it will just be another unfinished project for now...Anyone else do that??

Cathy, I have been there many, many time...hehehe! It is so strange. It is like the objects grow legs and take off. I have layed things down and thought this is a good place to put it. Then, I can't remember where I put it. There are a few things I still can't find. Remotes, car keys, money, important papers....just gone..."poof"!

:) Don't feel bad. You'll find it about 50 years from now. I know from personal experience. I can remember everything I did 50 years ago but yesterday?? It's true. And if I put something away so it won't get lost? If I wait long enough I'll remember where I put it for safe keeping. Linda

Oh I'm so with you ladies. I mixed up a batch of papier maché powder to make a chimney after having searched the house for a batch I had in a sealed carton - the original one turned up today - I rediscoved the "safe place". I do this all the time, its becoming normal.

Dread searching in the attic for something that I know I have - takes all day - if I'm lucky.

I spent an entire day in my Lair, sorting and rearranging *AND* making a list of what was where as I went along. Then I went to my computer and typed up pretty little labels for everything.

Then I got distracted.

You know where this is going, right?

I now have to go back through all the stuff I so carefully sorted because I can't remember what label goes where.

sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

...this reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode: 'A Matter of Minutes'.

...where everything is being torn down & rebuild minute by minute...

Mr. Wright asked, "Do you ever make mistakes?"

The man in yellow answers, "...have you ever gone to where you swear you left your car keys...& they weren't there & you look everywhere & look again & they're right back where you thought they were in the first place..."

The episode is on YouTube if anyone's interested. :)

Yep Mike it happens all the time, its part of the warp time continuum, things disappear into another dimension for short periods and then warp back again. Regular occurrance for miniaturists - especially ones of a certain age.

sorry you can't find your part and I agree with Sherry, buy a new one and you'll find it plus some other things LOL. This scale is kinda fun!! I can't wait to see your house. I have seen so many beautiful projects in that scale

What I hate, is when the object seems to disappear right outta your hands!! :hug:

Yesterday while working on my Lady Ashley, I cut a small photo of the interior from the box to use as a reference. I had it in my hand - carried it into my storage area and began selecting wallpaper. An hour later I realized that it was gone! :D I had absolutely NO recollection of putting it down, yet I cannot find it anywhere!! :):)

*sigh* :)

I once heard of something called "The 18 inch rule." It's that what's been lost is usually within about 18 inches of where it should be. The tiny bag probably fell behind the nightstand or in one of the drawers. It might be right alongside the bed between the nightstand - or if you put papers there, it's mixed in with the papers. On the other hand, think about whether when you put the bag there, was that the last time you touched it, or did you go back to get it and then left it somewhere else? Good luck . . . I hate thinking about all the time I've spent looking for things I absentmindedly set down and can't remember where. :)

I'm not crazy!!! Thank you for making me feel so much better!

I lose things all the time. Sometimes the teeeny piece is still on my thumb for crying out loud. Sometimes it's on my shirt. Sometimes I have to make another one. Ugh!

Maybe the lost pieces go where the lost socks go....wherever that is. :thumb:

The fastest way to find something that is missing, is to go buy another one. The old one will practically jump into your arms as soon as you walk in the door with the new one!

After hunting everywhere for a stove I got from HBS, a nice metal one with the pipe vent, I finally gave up and ordered another one. I thought it would probably show up the same time the new one was delivered. The new one came two days ago and I spent most of this morning looking for the other one. It's just gone forever I guess. It's not some small light weight mini. It's good sized and heavy so wouldn't have been accidently tossed or carried off by the kitties. It really bothers me that I can't find it. Of course with all the searching, I've found all sorts of other stuff. :thumb: