Curiosity about 1/2" scale

CatColorado

I have a half scale lighthouse that is stashed away for when I really think I will be in the mood for it, I have a some quarter scale village houses, AND I am getting a half scale Rosedale this month! I want to get the majority of the Arthur done before the Rose comes.

I have been in a creative slump for a very long time so this is so exciting that it is flowing again.

I want one of those lighthouses, but only to use as a component for a bash I would like to do someday. I'm holding off for now; I have plenty to keep me busy.

I just can't get into 1/4" scale. I have the town and the village still in the boxes, and I even have some of that plastic furniture packed away. I have a couple of quarter scale vignettes waiting for attention. Maybe the quarter bug will bite one of these days, it just hasn't yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the latest on my half scale porch. It'll be a nice little piece when it's done, but I can't say I've been enjoying the building process very much. The clunkiness of MDF plus my indecision about trim colors has just made it frustrating. The whole point of building this was to end up with a small landscaping project, so hopefully once I get to that point it'll all be worth it!

I had planned to blog about the kit's idiosyncrasies to provide info to others thinking of building it, but ended up not really going into that. If anyone has questions about it, feel free to ask here or send me a PM and I'd be happy to tell you about what I learned and what I would have done differently. :thumb:

post-7-1295126835_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Have recently obtained the 1/2" Scale New England Lighthouse from RGT, and am currently waiting on two replacement pieces from RGT that were missing from the kit. Have to say Jennifer was INCREDIBLY helpful over there. Anyways, got the lighthouse from a gentleman that was going to use it with his railroads -- but unfortunately(for him) he can no longer do this. So got the lighthouse at a great bargain deal, and he was kind enough to include an old Shackman wall phone, and some other little doodads. Question for any and all that have done this kit, how in heck's name do you paint all those little railing pieces without fear of breaking them?!? They're so itty bitty! Love the look of this and am hoping to get it all done and decorated by July, it's to be a night light as needed for my youngest niece. Going to attempt my first doll making with this as well... Should prove to be interesting. lol :blink:

Hmmm, liner brush you say? Oddly enough, I have lots of those around. lol Was contemplating the base color with two sponges, you know dab a sponge in paint put railing pieces on top, and then take another sponge also dipped in paint and putting on top to get em all at once... But really afraid I'd break 'em.

• 2 months later...

Don't give up, Jhon. Sometimes our patience is sorely tried when we run into problems - but if we persevere, the answer presents itself! I'm not familiar with that porch. Did you prime first? Maybe you will need to seal the paint?

Heh, the post you're replying to was spam and has been deleted. It was a creative rehash of my own post about the porch (run through Google Translate and back, maybe?) But I suppose I should update y'all that I got as far as buying bought new windows and a new door and buying new paint trim colors. Haven't been inspired to paint them yet -- too caught up with the Rosedale -- but one of these days! I'll post a picture when I have something more to show. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have pictures of a half scale Chantilly or other finished house with the Greenleaf half scale furniture in it? I just received my Chantilly today and the couple of pieces of HS furniture I have made from SDK kits just look way too big...

Edited by DandelionFair

I suspect the prices may have dropped since this thread opened, but I have had pretty good luck finding half scale furniture on etsy.com and the prices range from completely awesome to completely ridiculous. The Little Dollhouse company in Toronto has some really nice quality furnishings as well, and when the yankee-buck turns around it'll be a steal of a deal for our American friends. The only downside to TLDHC is that they don't accept paypal, but maybe if we all inquired about it they would change their policy. Their kits are actually really reasonably priced, I got my glencroft from them for 80.00.

Does anyone have pictures of a half scale Chantilly or other finished house with the Greenleaf half scale furniture in it? I just received my Chantilly today and the couple of pieces of HS furniture I have made from SDK kits just look way too big...

This isn't what you asked for, but a while back I posted some pictures comparing different types of half scale furniture in the Fairfield. You can see them here.

At one point I thought someone (Audra?) posted pics of the half scale furniture in the Chantilly, but I can't find it in the gallery...

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Half-Scalers!

I did a little search of this thread and didn't find anything about magazines. Can anyone recommend a subscription magazine that would be helpful for half-scale? There may not be one completely devoted to 1:24, but perhaps there is one that often features 1:24 goodies? I also seem to remember some discussion (a year or so ago) of an issue of some magazine or journal that was devoted to half scale but can't find reference anywhere! Any info from those with better memories than mine???

Thanks,

Janet from MA.

Nutshell News used to have an issue each year devoted to smaller scales, it was April or May. You might look on eBay for back issues. This was during the 1990s. Otherwise I'm not sure if one magazine does more half scale than another (I'd love to hear others' opinions on this!) Of course you can always resize 1:12 projects for half scale by cutting the dimensions in half...

Petite Properties has three soft cover 'books' on 1/24th scale, they are about the size of an American Miniaturist magazine. They are geared towards country interiors, but the basic construction and techniques could be applied to any look. Most of the 'country' aspect is just aging the hoohaa out of the pieces. They have anywhere between 12 to 16 projects in each book. I don't know of any magazines dedicated to 1/24th, although I noticed that AIM has some projects from time to time. There was an issue of Dollhouse Miniatures that was devoted to 1/2", I think I have it. I can look it up if you want.

This was probably posted somewhere before, but it's new to me:

http://www.the-art-of-dollhouse-miniatures.com/half-inch-miniature-scale.html

I pulled out that issue recently since you mentioned it in another thread. I think the articles were written by the same person who wrote the books Cat's talking about!

What about American Miniaturist vs. Dollhouse Miniatures? Is one better than the other? Both come up in other threads but I didn't see a comparision. AM seems to have 12 issues vs. 6 for DM...but I can't really tell how else they are different. I'm not only interested in projects but also eye-candy, vendors and shows.

Thanks! -Janet

P.S. I have put most of the finishing touches on my half-scale Diana that has been transformed into Madame Puddifoot's Tea Salon from the Harry Potter books...in case anyone wants to check it out in my Gallery! I'm excited to be done! Next is a big bash of a Rosedale to make it into a Parisian townhouse!