Curiosity about 1/2" scale

CatColorado

• 2 weeks later...

Today I went to the CHAMPS show (a smallish annual show put on by a local miniature club). I bought the Scale Cabinetmakers Guide #8 -- the half scale furniture one -- for $5. Almost bought a set of 1/2" plans for a Victorian house named The Golden Gate but talked myself out of it... if I ever run out of kits to build, I have old Nutshell News issues with plans for four or five Sears houses I want to make! But it was bugging me all afternoon, maybe I should have bought those plans after all...

I also bought a nicely built half scale dresser / bedside table thingie that, as it turns out, was built from plans in the the Scale Cabinetmaker book! At least, it looks very similar. I don't have a place for it right now... it's dark wood and doesn't look right in the (otherwise light) puzzle house, and my Fairfield bedrooms are pretty full. I might save it for the Rosedale, to go with the Daisy House bed (which I'm planning to stain dark).

This show didn't have a ton of half scale. I'm going to Good Sam in October and hope there will be a bigger half scale selection there... but every year I hope that, and every year it's the same. :)

I'll take a picture of the dresser thingie in a bit... dinner's on the stove right now...

EDIT: Here are the pictures. I put it next to the bed in the puzzle house to check the scale and I think it looks good. (That's not the final mattress!) It's a really nicely made piece -- the doors and drawers fit perfectly and it has a nice finish. I think it was $10 well spent!

post-7-1284328052_thumb.jpg post-7-1284328059_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE half scale... am using mainly Cassidy Creations kits... and a few things I've created myself...

Jim's printable minis has half scale for most items and is a wonderful source for free printables...

I've found heavily embroidered bookmarks and ribbon that work well for rugs...

Mainly, I think it's a case of always shopping... :wave:

That is for sure Connie, when I walk my dogs i am even shopping for twigs and rocks and nuts and driable flowers. I always look at a thing and say, "Now what would the members of the GL Forum do with this" LOL

By the way the SDKminiature kits are very nice.

And Bits and Kits--but more expensive, and don't forget GL's own line of half scale kits, very cute.(you probably already knew this)

:D Looks fabulous! I am anxious to try the new GL kits, most definitely. :p

I'm still waiting on my Bits 'n Kits order for Gull Cottage (Chantilly). I sure do hope they are true to scale or I am in big trouble...I only ordered 11 kits :o :lol:

Here's what I have been up to lately: 1/2" fireplaces for Gull Cottage. Not done yet - have some adjusting to do as they are not quite level (yet :wub: ), some paint touch ups and trimwork needed here and there, but they're gettin' there. Some trims will have to be added after the house is all together anyway. Leave it to me to be working on decorating when I haven't even completed the build yet..LOL I am so in love with the metal fireplace fronts from Grazhina's store though. They are so detailed (and so tiny to work with :p ..lol).

I am moving painfully slow on this project...could be because I am trying desperately to copy something from a movie and want it to be as accurate as possible, which is difficult. I guess I should just relax and enjoy the process, rather than agonize over every detail. Easier said than done for me ;)

Do you think they will release a half scale Pierce? Wouldn't that be pretty?

There's another house I really like... it has a Spanish name I think? I'd like to see that one in half scale too, though I never see it in 1/12 anymore either.

Here's what I have been up to lately: 1/2" fireplaces for Gull Cottage. I am so in love with the metal fireplace fronts from Grazhina's store though. They are so detailed (and so tiny to work with ;) ..lol).

ooooooo nice to see those 'in action' i had been looking at them :p

My half scale is up on the shelf...its not talking...or rather it has the poo's over a miniature order that took over 7 weeks to get here.... cost far too much in shipping...arrived in a huge box with a few tiddly half scale bits floating around in the bottom...and to top it all nothing fit!!! all the measurements on the website were wrong....sooooooooooo dissappointing and so she sits on the shelf waiting until i get over myself :p :wub:

I got the new 1:24 dining table & chair parts cut out & stained before we left & we've had to do so much running around I haven't really had time to do anything else with them yet. I also want to get the buffet parts cut out & stained.

My husband has said we need a camera so i can show you folks my half scale house. If anyone has suggestions on cameras, i'm all ears!

I have a dozen more flowers to add to my clematis trellis, then it will be done and i can add it to the house. The kits were from SDK minis. Susan really does a fabulous job. Her stuff is terrific. Anyhow i put two kits together and built a new trellis(am saving the trellises from the kits for maybe the Fairfield) This trellis has 600 leaves and 72 flowers---i am so happy with it!

I've done a few of the SDK Miniatures flower kits and have been pretty happy with them. I have several more waiting to be built, probably for a half scale conservatory I'll get to "one of these days." My only gripe is that the hanging baskets are very delicate -- between me and my mom, three out of four hanging baskets have broken when we tried to put the kits together. (I can't really blame Susan for that and I love her kits otherwise, but it's a little annoying since the hanging basket kits tend to cost more than the others.)

I've also built a lot of SDK furniture for my Fairfield and have been pleased with it.

Hmm, i thank you Emily for the info on the SDK floral baskets. I love her mixed basket and need two of them, i mean want two of them---but i will be forewarned about the delicacy of them.

Have you used any Bits-Kits, kits yet? I opened the bed tray kit and immediately broke one of the legs, grrrr.

As I am packing for yet another two day out of town conference tomorrow I have the book where I plot and plan the items to go into the sweet half scale Buttecup. So far I have the flooring and materials for that down, now I need to scale down the furniture from pics, which will be fun, and then there is the wallpaper thing, need to get that sorted as well...

I think MIL has a few pics depicting the house from way back then, I also found an Ariel motorcycle in half scale that will fit purr-fectly so all in all we are on a slow roll LOL

Hugs

Anna, 1:24 is addictive...

Uhum, tell me about it :wave: .... And with the new houses avaliable, how can I allow the lil' Buttercup to sit here all alone huh????

:D Hugs

• 1 month later...

OMG I'm so excited - my shipment from Homes in Miniature in England just arrived and it's a bunch of wonderfful 1:24 items... dishes, bottles, a top hat, reading glasses, dressing table set of brushes etc, a study chair that doesn't really swivel but looks like it would and a perfect little radiatior for my Fairfield's bathroom. What with the brass rods & screw eyes I've gotten on Ebay etc. it looks like there won't be time to sleep for a while! :giggle: