Curiosity about 1/2" scale

CatColorado

Anyone who likes the Lydia Pickett Line--Attention!!

www.insomesmallway.co.uk has a deal on the dining room table and 4 chairs --they are completely built and finished for 24 lbs or about $38 + shipping, the 5 unfinished kits costs $82 + SHIPping from betterleys site.

Of course, they only have one

They have a nice kitchen set. 42.50 BP, that's about $66 in dollars. It's not Betterley, but it is Betterley inspired so it's in the same style.

I'm thinking about the kitchen in the Vic... I'm thinking about changing the colors and going modern with it rather than retro. After the MM fiasco, I can't afford to buy anything but that doesn't stop me from making my own!

I have run into a problem with all the Concord/ Town Square 1:24 furniture I put into the Fairfields. Miss Florence looks fine & dandy in the nursery with the crib & dresser I made from kits, and Mrs Humphries is perfectly fine in the kitchen with every stick of furniture I made; but when I finished dressing George, the valet, I set him in the diningroom to await the order to start setting the tabel, and he's HUGE!

I drew my 1:24 people outline templates onto 1/4" grid paper, and George is just 3" tall, Miss Florence and Mrs Humphries are 5.5" or a hair taller. I'm not ready to stop everything and make all new dinigroom and parlor furniture! I guess I'll hurry up & furnish the family's porch and let George work out there for a while!

yeah i've noticed the sometimes huge difference in the sizes of 1/24th ...how annoying!!! i suppose you see a brand you like and stick with it through the whole house...arrrrgggghhhh half scale!!! i'm still unsure if i like it enough to do another house :)

I do like it enough to stick with it but am seriously annoyed with those scale problems. I had posted a topic quite a long time ago titled something like "Proper 1/2 Scale is Driving Me Crazy." There were lots of comments about this problem.

Sizes vary in 1/12th too. Sizes vary in real life as well... antique furniture is a good example.

But from what I see, you all should just send all your miniatures to me and I will make sure that nasty 1/24th scale furniture never bothers you again. I'm willing to make that sacrifice for your happiness.

But from what I see, you all should just send all your miniatures to me and I will make sure that nasty 1/24th scale furniture never bothers you again. I'm willing to make that sacrifice for your happiness.
:) What a gal!

Sizes vary in 1/12th too. Sizes vary in real life as well... antique furniture is a good example.

Gee, Kathryn, you are all heart! :p:)

I'm sooooo onto you!!!! your making an orphanage from morningside mansion!!!!!...scouting for inhabitants on here... i'm not biting!!! my poor furniture needs my care mismatched or not :angry: :p:)

I am thinking of buying one of the tinier homes, and had just posted such a question regarding the 1/2 scale homes..then immediately found a site who offered 1/2 scale items..but yup, they're VERY expensive.

I think if I do choose an eenie weenie build, I'll make most of the furnishings myself. It'll be a challange, but half the fun of doing anything, is the journey itself.

Merri

All I can say ladies is that after making a 1:48 and several 1:144 scale builds the options for 1:24 are infinite! I ended up making all of the 1:48 myself. Fortunately it was made to be a Goldielocks and 3 bears build, so I made tables and chairs out of things like off cups of dowels with flower petals glued and stiffined for the backs. It's really quite amazing what you are able to build. Part of the trick I've found working in smaller scales is to use good quality wood. Balsa just won't cut it because you can't get a fine enough finish. Hardwood works much better becauses you can get good square corners. The one place balsa works in smaller scales is for soft furnishings like sofas and chairs that will be covered. It's easy to cut in rounded shapes. Also, for those who are interested in trying 1/2 scale, but aren't sure about the price, I've just discovered those wonderful little houses from Michaels Craft stores. They're about the right scale and with paperclay stone work you can totally transform them!!! I'm making a fairy home for my daughter's friend and my daughter is making one herself. At $8 on sale you can't lose! Pictures will be posted soon!

:) Thanks to someone with a golden heart >whispering a huuuuuuuge thank you< :p I actually have a laser cut 1/2 scale house HERE just next to me to pet and talk to and hug and.... Oh joy!

HUGS

It does have that "Scandinavian building" feel to it, doesn't it?

Living in this (well it did look like that when we bought it and it will get its porch back sometime not too long in the future)

post-90-1281162315_thumb.jpg

Hugs