My dad in Hospital - Severe Concussion

Missymew

I haven't been around for the last few days, and looks like I'm going to be up at the hospital for some days yet. My father (80 years old) decided to "fix" a fence board last Friday. He went to pull a nail and went back and hit his head on the concrete sidewalk. My mother was in the house and a neighbour came to alert her. We don't know if he was unconscious .... but the neighbour estimated that she had seen my dad at the back and then heard a noise. By the time she got there he was conscious but very dazed.

He went to the hospital but the cat scan showed nothing and he went home. He spend the night vomiting and through the next day (no, my mother didn't phone me). The neighbour went over later in the afternoon and insisted on called the paramedics. They put my dad on IV fluids and took another cat scan. He was admitted late Saturday night.

My mother finally called me Sunday morning. Today my dad had an MRI and we should know the results tomorrow. My dad is experiencing double vision and sometimes gets confused. He can't get out of bed as he is very weak.

Prayers would be appreciated.

-Susanne

Oh Susanne, my hearts with you and your family right now. I know how hard it is to watch and wait. We're right there with you sweetie, holding your hand and lending lots of support. Keep us posted on how he's doing.

Hugs,

Deb

Susanne,

Sorry to hear about your dad's injury. My folks are the same way, getting up there in years and insisting to do things they shouldn't do around the yard. Dad's fallen out there more than once so I can definitely empathize with you! Hang in there sweetie. You've got lots of prayers and healing wishes headed his way.

<hugs>

David

So sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope he recovers quickly. Will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. You and Mom try to get some rest to, sometimes it's harder on the caregivers than the patient.

I am so sorry to hear about your father. He will of course be in my prayers and you and your family as well. It is a terrible thing to see our parents aging.

Huggles!

Just got back from the hospital a few minutes ago. I'm there each day from 7:00 A.M. until 9:00 P.M. My mother won't leave my dad's side. She's there 24 hours a day ... NEVER leaves his room...NEVER. I get her cups of coffee and sit by her side and go and ask the nurses questions and phone my 2 brothers and sister that don't live in Edmonton.

Dad is improving but so very little at this point. Unfortunately, the cat scan that they took when he was admitted to the hospital showed that he had an undiagnosed tumor on his pituatary (spelling ... sorry I'm very tired) gland that's pressing on his optic nerve. Without surgical removal it will more than likely grow and cause blindness.

Nothing can be done about this tumor until the dangers from the concussion are past and his double vision (hopefully) returns to normal. He is very weak and cannot get out of bed on his own. Of course my mother doesn't help matters much by waiting on him hand and foot.

My sister is coming up from Calgary tomorrow evening (thank heavens) and she can give me some respite from the long days at the hospital.

Thank you so much everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers.

-Susanne

Susanne, I'm sorry the news isn't better. I'll keep the positive energy going for your whole family. Don't forget to take care of yourself sweetie.

Huge hugs,

Deb