Quetion about collecting

Hallowell

As I get older and my eyes aren't what they were and less time to work on minis, I've tended to lean more towards collecting than building miniatures. I was an avid builder all of my life but now collecting has found a place in my heart. I love to collect original pieces from local artists and I also love much of what was produced in the 70's and 80's such as Leonetta, Sonia Messer and many others. I'm also doing more by way of roomboxes to display these collections. But an occasional remodel or build still warms my sole.

I'm wondering how many of you consider yourselves more collectors than builders. And what in dollhouse minis do you enjoy collecting the most?

Gee, it's hard to say! I still am really into building the houses and experimenting with different techniques. And I'm really enjoying making things for this new one, since there is not much available in contemporary furnishings.

I love things that are unique. I'm already tired of seeing the same furniture in every house, and have just about quit going to retail sites. Like you, I like the handmade and unique things, even though I can't afford most of them.

But i do have a collection of old 30's and 40's pieces that I love because they remind me of my mom's stuff that I played with as a child. The German and Japanese stuff in particular. The little bisque dolls and animals, and the American style furniture with the painted Japanese designs really tickle me. One day, maybe I can make a house for them but right now they are all on a wall shelf where the cat can't get to them!

Since I was a child I have always enjoyed collecting tiny objects of all sorts from miniature cars, trains, dolls, bears and other animals dishes, pictures, what have you. I never have the money for anything truely considered "collectible" but enjoy finding things that please me. I just started building so its still fresh and fun in that respect.

I think I am more of a collector than a builder. Don't get me wrong, I love building! But because of the time I have to waste at a job I hate (a sad but necessary state of affairs), I just don't have nearly as much building time as I need. So, I do a lot of "finishing work", rehabbing, and collecting. I have a serious penchant for one-of-a-kind artisan pieces. I find them fascinating, and I love the fact that you'll never see that exact item anywhere else ever again. Very fortunately for me, I have a brother that has built me 2 original log cabin dollhouses, and is almost finished with an extraordinary haunted mansion dollhouse . . . as well as a very talented Dad who has made me 2 original dollhouses and a gypsy caravan. Also, my elder sister is a very talented professional artist and she has contributed several original works of art to my houses. What really makes the collaborative houses that I do with both my brother or my Dad awesome is that I get to be involved in the original design/blue-print process and then I get to finish them out and do the interior design and landscaping. This process works great for us!

I've always loved tiny people...so it goes without saying that they need to live somewhere.Tudor/

Medieval are my fave structures-I must have lived back then-Ha! I'd love to do something Beautiful...haven't hit that goal yet,but keep on going!

I have a lot of building to do and wish I could find more time to do it or least organize my time better. But I am a collector at heart having previous hobbies that consisted of collecting specific items also. Minis I am obsessed about collecting are: Bespaq, chandeliers, and Pete Acquisto silver. Can't seem to get enough of any of these beautiful minis.

Valerie

I still enjoy building and get a real kick out of bashing Michael's hutches. Ever since figuring out the microwave method, I am at those again! The things I enjoy collecting are things that would be difficult for me to make. Love tiny teapots!

I do love certain older makers: S. Messer, Williamsburg collectibles, Shackman.

HOM kits are still a favorite for infrequent builds. I love to renovate old dollhouses, but I still enjoy building GL's.

I think I'm still half-sie on building/collecting. When I look through e-bay, I usually click on "used" items because they appeal more than even the high end modern stuff (which I can't afford). My Glencroft probably houses my favorite furniture: mostly bicentennial era colonial pieces.

I have to make things. Even when I had the income to support collecting, I had to make things. The biggest thing I'm looking forward to with my cataract surgery (when the opthamologist decides it's time) is improved vision to make my minis.

I LOVE to make things!!! Even though I have great bifocals I am finding I am doing nearly everything under a lighted magnifying glass these days, even my handsewing! Kind of worries me a little because I plan on doing minis for a Looooooooong time yet!!! LOL I would like to be able to collect things I can't make but would like to TRY to make everything at least once. :lol: I spend all my spare money on supplies so there isn't any available for collecting. Maybe someday!!!

If you ask my husband, I'm definitely more of a collector than a builder. A collector of dollhouses :lol: Kits, rehabs, shells, makes no difference to me... I've never met a dollhouse I didn't like! I started off with a kit & a shell, planning to use those as practice houses before acquiring a grand "forever" dollhouse. Next thing I knew I had several kits, a few shells, a custom built shell and more rehabs off of Craigslist than I had space to put them. Initially DH was supportive whenever I found a new rehab on Craigslist that I just *had* to have, but these days he just kinda rolls his eyes and puts his fingers in his ears when I tell him I found another one! lol!

Someday I'll have them all built, but I guess for now I'd have to put myself in the "collector" category.

I buy things I like, especially unusual things. I have a huge DH barn that I put all of my collected animals and farm stuff in and around, so I guess I collect in that area. I have soooo many dhs - built, and unbuilt but am now into roomboxes, since I am running out of space and in their own way, they are very challeging (since I make the boxes, too). I was collecting Caco dolls and others dolls I like, but now am trying to sculpt my own and make costumes for them with my little old (1946) Singer Featherweight sewing machine (from ebay). I am also trying to make more things just to see if I can and since I have a big investment in special tools and materials. I think I am evolving!

I'm a crafter rather than a collector, and I dread the day that my eyesight or hands would fail me. I'll deal with it when the time comes, I hope. Watching my mother grow old and helpless, I realized that I have to make the most of it and appreciate it while I still can do everything.

But I can definitely see how exciting collecting can be. I experienced it for the first time when I was looking for a specific brand of furniture for my Mom's vintage dollhouse.