How many scales and/or projects do you have?

Made by Barbara

Hi everyone,

I have projects started in 1", 1/2" and 1/4" already. The 1/4" is an English cottage that I am kitbashing. Even though I really love the one I am working on, I have seen a 1" English cottage kit that I am itching to buy! Do any of you do things like that? I am really envious of those who can keep theirselves on track with one project until it is finished, I am always bouncing here, there and everywhere! Thing is no matter how much I am trying to talk myself out of getting the 1" cottage I am really wanting it! LOL What would you do? Would love to hear how you decide what you will work on and when! Do you have to have one project finished before starting another or have several going at once? Thank you!!! Hugs, Barbara

All of my current projects are in 1/12 scale but I do have two of the 1/2 inch scale puzzle houses stashed away for "someday".

I'm working on a teddy bear shop, a rehab Newport, a scratch built cottage (from kelly/rodentraiser), a front-opening Montgomery, a sugarplum and the gazebo for the hbs contest. I don't work on them all consistently, I'll work on one till I get frustrated or bored and then switch to another for a bit. I have several other projects waiting in the wings, but these are the ones I am currently going back & forth to work on.

Thing is no matter how much I am trying to talk myself out of getting the 1" cottage I am really wanting it! LOL What would you do?

I would go for the cottage you want! I think (for me anyways) that part of the fun is being able to switch projects whenever I want!

Right now I have the Bellingham and the HBS contest that I am working on. Also a half scale Micheals house that is on my dresser in a box as I don't have anywhere to work on it right now. When the Bellingham is done I will probably be working on the Victoria's Farmhouse as that is one that my husband picked out and I like also. Plus the Greenleaf contest will come around about that time again. I do work on the kitchen table sometimes, but I have to clear it off when I am finished for the day. I have a neighborhood street started in the basement with my Victorian Cottage Jr and the Newburg. There is room for the Bellingham and Victoria's Farmhouse on the tables we have set up so far. All in a row with green material covering it all. I also landscape around the houses. Storage underneath. Also have past contest builds down there on bookcases, etc. 1 house on a dresser up stairs and 1- 1/144 done. Probably be doing smaller houses after the ictoria's as I am running out of room, like the Westville that I really, really want.

There's the HBS contest, A fairy house(2009 spring fling), a fishing shack(2008 spring fling), a Haunted School house(The Adams), and RGT Rhaspberry parfait, and I have the Ashley (still in box) and a DuraCarft village still in box as well. I can't remember what the scale is for the village. I have way too many going on at the same time. As mentioned in another thread, I'm getting things mixed up, doing stained glass window for one project, but painting them the colors for a different project altogether. :) I'll figure everything out.....I hope...lol

In every corner, nook and cranny of my workroom there are projects in progress in all of the three mentioned scales. I could no more finish one project at a time that I could read a 700 page book in one setting without food or water! That's the fun of miniatures, you can go from one project to another, depending on the mood you are in. I have an attention span of less than 20 minutes. It works for me. I eventually finish everything.

I have three houses on the go - with more waiting in the wings. If DH would let me, I'd be one of those who has a stash of kits just waiting their turn to be built. My stash right now consists of only 4 kits, 1 semi-custom and 1 custom waiting to be built.

I say get the other kit if you want it - just because you have it doesn't mean you have to start it right away! :)

I'm not even going to try to list all of the "in-works" projects I have going on! I have projects in 1:288 scale, quarter scale, half scale, and several in 1:12 scale. And, of COURSE you should get the kit you want. You might have trouble finding it again, or the cost could go up. Anyway, it's great to know what projects you will have in front of you. Another reason I like to go between projects is because a lot of mine seem to require a good bit of drying or curing time. By having something else in works, I can let the drying or curing take place without getting impatient & perhaps rushing things.

I work on 1 project at the time. Otherwise I'd start new projects all the time, and none of them would ever be finished. :)

So my Laurel, 1/12th scale obviously, comes first. Not much work left to do, though. The Laurel is nearly done. Well, the furnishing can be done gradually.

However since I'm dying to start my darling half scale cottage, I'll allow myself to start it as soon as the Laurel's roof is the only thing left to do. The cottage is going to be bricked, and I look forward to doing that.

At this point I don't see myself working in scales smaller than 1/24th. Mainly because I look forward to making my own furniture. It's going to be fiddly enough as it is in half scale. Can't see myself going smaller than that.

I hope to do a lot of half scale projects, because it's easier to display them. Every time I think I've found the perfect spot for the Laurel, the cats make it clear that that particular spot should remain reserved for their convenience. :)

Thank you Debra, Lisa, Teresa, Amy, Casey, Roxy, Liza, Rhonda, and Marianne for taking the time to reply!!! Glad to know I am not the only one who does this!!! Roxy and Marianne, don't know how you can be so disciplined! And Marianne, 1/4" isn't that much different than the 1/2" scale as far as working on it. I do like the idea of being able to do up a whole yard and it still being small enough to go in a case for protection! I have been enjoying all your galleries!!! Casey, your blog is wonderful!!! So creative!!! I need a little Tessie to push me along!!! Guess I could finish the doll I started a while back and hope she is loaded with personality like Tessie! Thanks again for all the replies and the encouragement to go for it!!! Oh, by the way, I just bought the cottage kit! :) I will try to get at least one project done before I start it! Maybe that will get me going here! LOL Hugs, Barbara

I also seem to have too many projects going at once! LOL! Have two long tables in my craft room and the usual 6 square inches of work space!

LOL...Debra, and here I thought I was the only one like that. I have an 8 ft table and my work area is about 12 inches. Glad to know I'm not alone. =D

Deborah

I'm guilty of having plural projects on the go ... and many times, the only available space to work on turns out to be my knees! :) (I have a lot of trays, and find that it's actually a good way to stay organised - to a degree - by putting smaller projects on them.)

I am a real newbie to miniatures...barely 6 monthes actually. I working in 1:12th scale, although I have done a bit in the large American Girl scale too. I have yet to actually start a Doll House, but am looking forward to starting my little Orchid. After this project I would like to make a little bakery, and a chocolate shop. I am also planning some kind of Christmas shop.

Deborah

Rosalind, I have a bunch of trays too! I have what was supposed to be a music cabinet with shelves that holds them perfectly providing their not piled too high. LOL I used to sit in my bed and worked on a lap tray that my other trays fit in.

Deborah, if you are interested in a bakery you have got to see this!!! http://kimsminiatures.blogspot.com/ I found her blog as a link on another blog today!!!! Don't know if she is a member here but her work is wonderful!!! Made my mouth water looking at them!!! Seems like I have seen the Orchid as a sweet shoppe before too but I could be mistaken.

Hugs, Barbara

Thanks for the link Barbara...I am an avid subscriber of Kim's blog...her work if truly amazing...the amount of detail she achieves is something I aspire too! My Orchid will become a Quilt Shop/Sewing Class for my mom. I honestly am not sure if I will do any more houses as my space is at a very tight minimum...but then again the allure of the dollhouse might run too strong to resist! LOL

Deborah

I now have 1:12, and 1/2 inch. I have done 1/4 inch inside a Barbie sized cupboard. (sold that at a charity yardsale) I try to stick to finishing 1 house at a time, but do get sidetracked with projects within the project house, when waiting for the glue to dry-For example, made a framed picture for the Cranberry, 'cause I had a bare spot on a wall I didn't like, and bashed a floor model towel display into a wall hanging unit for her bathroom.

I also seem to have too many projects going at once! LOL! Have two long tables in my craft room and the usual 6 square inches of work space!

My work space is getting smaller and smaller all the time. Every time my space is almost gone I buy one of those really big rubbermaid totes and start putting some stuff in one of those. Problem is I'm running out of space for the totes, and I'm always "losing" things in the totes...lol Than I have to spend an hour looking for something.

Rosalind, I have a bunch of trays too! I have what was supposed to be a music cabinet with shelves that holds them perfectly providing their not piled too high. LOL I used to sit in my bed and worked on a lap tray that my other trays fit in.

Deborah, if you are interested in a bakery you have got to see this!!! http://kimsminiatures.blogspot.com/ I found her blog as a link on another blog today!!!! Don't know if she is a member here but her work is wonderful!!! Made my mouth water looking at them!!! Seems like I have seen the Orchid as a sweet shoppe before too but I could be mistaken.

Hugs, Barbara

Oh my! Her food is amazing! Now I'm really hungry! LOL! Thanks for the link!