No Spend Challenge

heidiiiii

There is a completed but undecorated (minus front steps, porch rail and balcony trim) San Francisco on the local classifieds for $40.

$40 (which I don't have at the moment) looks awful tempting, when you look at the cost of replacement windows. Then I also start feeling guilty for giving up on the one I have.

I'm not gonna be much help with this one :( I say go get the $40 complete one and either take the incomplete one to the thrift store for some one else to grab up or offer it up on Craigslist or in the trading section here. There might be someone on the forum close enough to come get it. I wouldn't look at it as *giving up* on the one you have - I'd look at it as *passing it on* to someone else. :)

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not NEED popcorn but I WANT popcorn. I guess I will figure it out when I get there. I have a feeling I will have to deduct $5 off the bottom line next week.. hahaha

Um, Heidi, movie theater popcorn while watching a movie on the big screen actually is a need. If I were going to a movie today (or any other day for that matter), I would have to have my popcorn in order to really enjoy the movie-going experience! :(

Still considering that $40 SF.

Had to go out and buy some stuff to get ready for Tiara moving in. A few things for the bathroom, some cleaning supplied. Oh, and milk, and Crystal Light generic, cheaper than soda pop, and we need to drink more liquid in the summer heat! Caffeine defeats hydration too.

My stumbling block was fairly minor - at the dollar store, some gloves for when I'm working with stain or other super messy stuff, super glue, clothes pins, and some silk plants to landscape the mining shack before the county fair coming up in August. The plants would have to have been bought in August anyway, so it's really only a case of allowing myself more time, rather than spending money that would never have been spent.

We did not go...teenager issues.

So I will save my popcorn money for another day. I think I will wait and go in the middle of the week. We tried to go to the last showing but it was sold out..and we had gotten there 20 minutes before the showing.

I did spend again, Amazon had a sale, musta bin a short one. Harry Potter the first 5 years was only 56 bucks. I bought it as soon as I saw it, and I got an email from Amazon telling me about the sale that day. It arrived yesterday, I have Amazon prime and get 2 day shipping on everything. It's back to 82 bucks already.

Wow, Andrew! Talk about being in the right place at the right time. Nice buy. :)

I appreciate and applaud the efforts of all of you. Lately we have been less than frugal, but I figure somebody has to spend money in order to keep the economy improving, and most of what we spend is local (except for Walmart, which at least puts tax money into the local economy).

I'll admit they still had some great deals on BD's, so I ordered: Gothika, 2001, 2010, House of Wax, Master and Commander and Hellboy. For some reason I thought I got 7 films, just checked the order, I ordered one I didn't have on the list, it is Silent Hill.

Had a setback today. Caraboo knocked my cd boombox off the nightstand and broke it. I have a hard time getting my mind to turn off when I want to sleep, so I listen to books or music on low to distract my mind. After two hours of trying to fall back asleep I was going nuts! I just got some babysitting money, so I went and bought one at Big Lots. Got to sleep in short order after plugging in the new boombox.

I think my sanity is worth $21. Still, I could have used the money elsewhere, and I'm going to try to make sure that the new one is not vulnerable to feline experiments with gravity.

I did not save any money this past week. Our main phone (with the answering machine) was dying so I had to buy a new one. I could have went cheapy cheapy but I did not. I bought the kind that has the base phone and two wifi phones. Then I saw that Grey Gardens was on DVD and thought I deserved it after all I went thru this week.

Then Nat spent her money on Coraline dvd..but then I gave her the money back because i wanted the movie anyway!

Bad Bad Heidi..oh well. It felt good actually. I have been pretty good this month and I just kind went mental in the store. I said a bad word that is followed by the word IT.

One more week to go.

I did well all month with not spending on anything that wasn't a neccessity. Until Friday night. I went into shopping withdrawals I think. :laughbounce: I ended up ordering from 3 different places: gnomes for my soon to be miniature gnome setting outside at our pond; shingles & trim from another site for a cottage I'm working on and then stuff from another site for the teddy bear shop I'm working on.

I'll go back into no-spend mode now that I've gotten that out of my system! lol!

LOL, just been catching up on this thread, and I must say in general that you haven't been following the no spend challenge particularly well (movies, dvds, bbq, camera... definitely things that aren't needed for survival! :welcome: ) You have done excellent saving though, which is fantastic. Well done all of you taking part for saving.

We have sort of not gone with the saving idea as of such as we were away on a holiday starting the month, came back and bought a house that is in dire neeeeeeed of renovation/rehab and the whole nine yards, BUT in the end after the whole thing is done we will cut our living costs by more than half owning our house and all involved so I think we are sort of in the saving category even if we did indeed spend big time and comitted ourselves for some more spending as well (as in a whole new interior more or less LOL) so we are happy, AND sore, but mostly happy....

Hugs

Muriel, It is harder then it looks.

I did not buy one newspaper the whole month and I probably bought 3 coffees at DD the whole time. I put water in a reusable bottle instead of buying water at the store. I did take lots of thought when I was going to spend money also. More then usual. I saved some money and showed that I could live without if I had to.

I think if the money was not there to spend, I would do better. There were a couple cases where it was stupid not to spend..like the amazing sale on jeans for school. Could not pass up on buy one pair get one pair for $1..LOL

I am going to continue next month on no newspapers, coffees, and any frivolous spending. I want to see how much I can save from now until the end of the year.

So it was not exactly what we had hoped but some of us really did get an eye opener..I know I did.

Yeah, I know it is much harder than it sounds. I already have next to no money to spend on extra stuff, so what little I do have, I've worked very hard for and want to spend on fun stuff, which is why I'm not taking part.

I did want to comment on not quite sticking to it, but more so, you should all take the well done from that post :) :welcome:

I think I've passed over six bargain dollhouses so far this month. The fact that two were duplicates of ones I have in kit form and paid only $10 made some of them easier to let go. The San Francisco was the tough one. But I've concluded that I don't have the space for every house, even if I did have the funds. And after the Spring Fling, I think I want to do a kit out of the box - the SF was my first non-gluegun build, so I'm thinking of tackling the Orchid which followed me home last spring.

LOL.. :lol: .followed me home....now do you really expect us to believe that..... :wave:

Oh, but it's true! If you put a dollhouse (or dog, cat, etc.) in the back of your car or van, then technically it DID "follow" you home. I've used that one a few times with DH. :angry:

Okay, I blew it!

$40 for 22 HOM kits, 2 Handley House sets, some wallpaper, area rugs, and 3 sets of play furniture. I've bid on the James River fireplace several times in the last year without success. I've also had my eye on a chef's rack in the HBS catalogue and got the exact same one!

The nearest freeway entrance was where I picked up the SF back in January or February, which freaked me out, because I was trying to remember what I had acquired on that trip. Turns out I thought it was a different but similar spot closer to home, and since I wasn't the one driving I hadn't paid close attention. It was a twilight zone moment, because I had SO much trouble finding the right exit on the freeway on the earlier foray, cruising between two different exits over 4 times.

Oh, and Heidi, London broil is on sale this week for $1.79 a pound! I can smell the barbecue already!

Fred spent money yesterday. It is so humid and I was NOT wanting to cook because my back and leg has been hurting more. He brought us a goody for dinner!

Jerk chicken, oxtails, Jamaican rice, this sauerkrauty thingy I never had before, and coco bread. It was soooo gooooood! There is a small whole in the wall near our house that makes the food.

He could not decide between that or the Peruvian Chicken place near our house.

I did not spend the money..hehehe Plus he knew I was probably not going to cook. Even though it is humid today, I am in the mood to make something.

I have some London Broil and I also have pork butt steaks. I could grill either one of those today. I am also in the mood for some german potato salad.

I'm worthless at this. I give up.

I know what you mean.

I can be good with the majority of things. But if there is like a major deal on something..My willpower is not strong enough to walk away.