No Spend Challenge

heidiiiii

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Llyn, a camera in my house is necessary!

Don't feel guilty :p

Agree 100%. I have 4 digital and 2 film cameras. Though the film cameras get little to no use. Actually 1 (a Yashika) is a museum piece, you can't get mercury batteries anymore.

When you think about it your entire life, except this second, is a memory. Pictures make it whole lot nicer.

Actually 1 (a Yashika) is a museum piece, you can't get mercury batteries anymore.

You can use hearing aid batteries for use with the old 35mm. Lots of information on the web if you're interested.

I am going to go see if I can find a BBQ for not too much money. Not a cheap one though. I have been so good so far this month. I did buy a couple annuals for the front porch but they only cost me $2 a piece. I bought 3.

Off to the Farmer`s market now.

BBQ! BBQ! BBQ!

I bought one for $38. I have to put it together but that is okay. It is on wheels, has an ash can, and it is not too big and not too small. Just right.

Need to get coffee in me so that I can be coherent enough to read the instructions.

I love my new camera...was not wasted money!! And I think Heidiii needs to get that coffee maker...I remember her Avatar! Ha!! Oh, I did spend $30. to get a sculpturekit complete with clay and tools, a pack of wood scraps and a large,thick sheet of styrofoam.All stuff I needed and had none..oh, there was that purchase of three yards

of different colored/style material so I can sew curtains etc. I had NO scraps at all.So

far...$170.00 for July.And I think that's it...................

Okay, I did spend again, there's goes the time and a half money from the 4th I guess. I ordered an induction burner. Wanted one for a couple of years, finally broke down. My glass topped stove is pretty, but worthless for cooking. Yeah it gets hot in an instant, but takes forever to cool down. Wanna stir fry then neck the temp down to simmer? Need to use 2 burners. That's ridiculous. Induction cooking is electric, but is like cooking with gas. Instant temperature change. The hottest thing in the whole equation is the pan (has to be ferrous) which is far safer. Gas and regular electric burners have to get way hotter than the pan to heat the pan up. Plus there's a ton of heat loss, induction cookers cause the pan to heat up without heating up themselves.

As mentioned the pan, or at least the contact area, has to be ferrous, so that means I am going to need to spend some more. My pan set is aluminum, won't work. Need some new pans. I have seen a nice set at Costco, stainless, says it's induction compatible, need to do the magnet test though, but I like the line of non-stick aluminum pans designed for induction. These are aluminum pans with a stainless steel pad bonded to the bottom. Hafta check Bed Bath and Beyond.

Well I'm doing O.k. I have saved my tips so far, and have sitting here in rolled coin $140.00!! I'm not counting the extra that can't be rolled. I usually just spend up the change, and never really thought about how much it could add up too! It averages out to around $10.00 per day. This may not be exactly what this thread was intended to mean, but I'm quite pleased with myself! Thanks for the challenge. I may actually be able to pay my bus fair next month to my daughter wedding out of tips alone! She's getting married in Dryden. It's on the border of the next province, on August 8.

Well, I'm on my own personal no-spend challenge, so I can spend it later. I'm giving up my daily coke at Sonic's Happy Hour, which is $1, and my daily Snickers bar, another $1, for a month. Also some other silly things that I spend money on. DH doesn't think I can do it, but if I do, at the end of the month, I'll use it all to order the Brimble! I won't save that much, but if I can give all that up for a month, DH will make up the difference. So, we'll see! If nothing else, I'll lose weight and save the gas from driving 4 blocks to Sonic every day!

Sherry,

I think your idea is great. You can see how much you spend and then you can go on a Snicker and Coca Cola bender in August! LOL

It is Sunday and I still have my allowance (minus gas for the car).

I ordered an induction burner.

This sounds like a wonderful way to cook. You'll have to let us know how you like it. I Googled it, as I'm in the market for a new stove, but found it won't work for us. It's not compatible with pacemakers, and DH is equipped with one. Oh, well.

So far so good, haven't spent any money this past week. Of course, I was home all week so that helped :jawdrop: We spent yesterday and Friday cleaning up the pond area we have out back and today we are going to hopefully finish off that work.

Okay, I broke down and bought a London broil steak ($1.99 a pound) and cut it into pieces as individual steaks. The cut is better than the last steaks I bought in June. Well, I do have to have protein (in the form of beef!)sometimes.

I picked up an iron for $5 earlier this month at the thrift store, since mine has been missing for 6+ months. It's a Rowenta, and the model retails for $119 at the local fabric store, so I'm feeling pretty good about the decision to get it. I also picked up a down pillow at the same time ($4); I've been sleeping so much better with this new pillow, that it was well worth the expense.

My supply of diet Mountain Dew is running low, so I'll start having tea. I find peppermint tea especially nice. I don't put sugar in it, and when it's cold, it is very refreshing. We have a state holiday coming up, and maybe I'll be able to find a deal on Dew with all the sales.

London broil for $1.99 lb is considered a good price in my area. I think you scored a yummy bargain. I went out shopping with my friends yesterday and I did not buy anything.

It was really really really hard though. All the sandals were on clearance. I was good. I did not buy.

Mmm. I think I have a London broil wrapped up in the deep freeze. I think I will pull it out for dinner.

This sounds like a wonderful way to cook. You'll have to let us know how you like it. I Googled it, as I'm in the market for a new stove, but found it won't work for us. It's not compatible with pacemakers, and DH is equipped with one. Oh, well.

There seems to be conflicting evidence on that, but, if I had a pacer, I think I'd pass too.

Okay, I spent $2 today. I'm trying to get all the replacement pieces for my rehabs that I have shapes for so I can return my neighbor's scroll saw, so I went to the dollar store to get some jumbo popcicle sticks for making rails for the gazebo (need thinner than 1/8" ply scraps). While I was there I succumbed to temptation and bought a pack of cajun trail mix.

All right, this one is going to drive me crazy! :welcome:

There is a completed but undecorated (minus front steps, porch rail and balcony trim) San Francisco on the local classifieds for $40. I've been thoroughly frustrated with my incomplete SF with missing pieces and no windows. The angles on the tower are off, because of the glue residue from the incompetent initial builder. There are days when I think of taking it to the local thrift store and chalking it up as a learning experience. Then there are days when I think I should shell out the $30+ to get the windows from and ebay vendor and try to make it work. Then I look at all the rehabs stacked around, and the kits waiting and think its just to big, with all the other mini estate lurking.

$40 (which I don't have at the moment) looks awful tempting, when you look at the cost of replacement windows. Then I also start feeling guilty for giving up on the one I have.

Oooh! I just hate this dilema.

I am just on my first cup of coffee so I do not know if I calculated right but I think I saved $150 (ish) this past week. It could have been $200 but I bought the grill, charcoal, etc.

I have a dilemma but it is a silly one. We have movie tickets to see Harry Potter today. I am in the mood for popcorn. That is my dilemma..ROFL

I do not NEED popcorn but I WANT popcorn. I guess I will figure it out when I get there. I have a feeling I will have to deduct $5 off the bottom line next week.. hahaha

The Farmer`s Market is wonderful this year. Some new vendors. I am saving and enjoying local produce. I want to get some raspberries today and make a tart with them. Nummy.

We have all been doing really good. Alot of us (me included) have not followed this NO spend to the letter, but we are trying to watch what we buy. That is a good thing.