'Cats who love too much' or 'if you don't get off my lap, I'm gonna fix you again!'

bookmarm

Lily is driving us all crazy. I guess the hormones didn't get calmed through that 'girl surgery' a year ago! She talks constantly and needs to be on a lap endlessly. She's happy and purring,...just needy! Its very hard to accomplish anything with a cat attached to my lap. I'm ready to lock her in the bathroom for a few hours just to get chores done and a few mini minutes. It's probably just her personality, but does anyone else fight this battle with a particular pet?

post-2290-1243011254_thumb.jpg

post-2290-1243011326_thumb.jpg

Caraboo has never been excessively needy, she's actually too independent, dictating when and if she will sit on my lap. The only times she is guaranteed ti seek attention are when I'm online, on the phone, or trying to sleep.

I love Lily's green eyes!

Lily is gorgeous. My two boys are not very needy, in fact they are quite the opposite until it's mealtime. Poetry Man will get in your lap ONLY if he is cold. Tigger will sit near you and flop on the floor beside you, and sometimes will come for pats....but mostly they are both very independent boys.

Twiggy has always walked around kind of talking to herself. Not a full meow, but like a purr and meow mixed is the best I can describe it. The vet told me mother cats make that sound to newborns so they can find her, and some kittens pick it up and use it to let you know where they are even when they are grown. Lately she will start with that and progress to an all out meow like a Siamese when she wants attention. She rarely lets me pick her up. Maybe once in awhile for a few minutes and even purr but then, that's it. She wants to be where I am and let me know where she is, but sometimes it's like she wishes she could talk to me and looks at me imploringly and I don't know what she wants. The other three act like average cats except for cali who prefers her water from the bathroom sink turned on just a trickle. No problem except I forget to turn it off and that can cost money over time. None of them have ever bothered my dolls or dollhouses or scratched the furniture. Twiggy will occasionally swipe pillows off the dollhouse beds or some other little loose thing that strikes her fancy. I'll find it laying on the floor covered with dust. They have a cat tower with posts and cylinders and a house on top and they scratch that. They are back to their habit of waking up with the birds about 5AM and I make them wait another 45 minutes before I get up. All winter they were waking me up at 4:15 AM. They have such a great life with not a care in the worlsd, at least that we know of.

Aren't cats supposed to be attached to you like that??? Gosh, I better explain this to my four furbuddies!! :hmm: Maybe because I have four, and each demands personal and private lap time...but I'm always with a cat in the lap!

Pat, have you tried the pet water fountains. Buddy likes drinking from the faucett as well so we bought the pet fountain and he and the dog love it and it is also filtered.

I was thinking of getting one. Do they just recirculate a certain amount of water and are they hard to keep clean? I'm sure cali would love it.

I was thinking of getting one. Do they just recirculate a certain amount of water and are they hard to keep clean? I'm sure cali would love it.

Mine isn't hard to clean at all. It's a pump that recirculates water, so I'll add a little every day, then take the whole thing apart once a week and clean with vinegar.

Ann, we have 6! LOL! Most are independent, and all talk to some degree. If Mammy talks, it usually means she's found a wad of paper to carry around in her mouth to play with and wants you to come admire it. She has a smoky, Lauren Bacall tone. Maisie talks if you look at her directly and ask her something: "Are you the Princess?" (me); "Well, of course, you doufus! Now where's my chow?" (Maisie). She doesn't waste time chatting. Alexandra (Siamese) talks only a little, but usually after she's done something sneaky like pee in the sink (she KNOWS Maisie likes to drink out of that sink, so this is her thought on the young upstartess). She always sounds like she has a question mark at the end of her speech. Old Bill is deaf and I don't know if this makes a difference, but he sounds like a pirate's parrot...sort of a deep bass loud 'Makuraaauuwww'. It's startling at times! Mo, for as big as he is, has a little bitty choppy voice, and makes sort of a 'mimimi' trill, always performed as he dashes past you down the stairs.

Lily just drives us nuts lately. You can hear her calling and looking for you and it's tempting to duck into the pantry and hide. She IS a sweetie, and thanks, she does have lovely big green eyes. I like her red freckled nose. I'm glad that she and Mammy seem to get along okay. Mammy lost her daughter a year before we got the two sister kittens. Lily looks like a plump version of Mammy's babe (Altoid)

Oh, Gayle, Lily has such an irresistibly sweet little face! I'm not a cat person, having been allergic to them my whole life, but DS#3's younger ginger tom, Gizmo, has assumed I'm his momma (I used to hold and pet and protect both Giz and Midnight from The Jerk when they were wee kittens) and chats at me and gives my ankles a thorough coat of ginger fur whenever I go over there, and I have to give him lovies at least once when we visit (he loves chin scratches).

The cat water fountains are great! My brood loves theirs! At least my girls do! Before I got it, they used to tip their water bowl over nearly every day. I'd come out to the kitchen to find a flood over the floor. The guys (I have 2 of each --a momma and her daughter, and 2 unrelated stray boys) could take it or leave it. Tuffy drinks from his paw -- dips his paw into the water, then licks it off. TabbyGrey would rather drink from the kitchen sink! :hmm:

But the fountain (a small digression there!) really works well. They are a bit of a pain to clean -- lots of nooks and crannies in there -- but an old toothbrush and some vinegar and the job is done. I do that about once a week. Otherwise you just add fresh water every day as it goes down.

oh Gayle...it's all I can do to control myself from running down to your house and bringing Lily home with me for a visit....I so miss a verbal cat....my Sammy (long departed b/w cat) used to talk in the middle of the night....he'd go into the family room which had a cathedral ceiling and he would starting talking...first, he would say "herow" (his version of hello)...then he would call my older daughter "rammi" getting continuously louder (tammi to everyone else...Sammy must have had a speech impediment of some type)...he would continue this until I got up and went down there and told him he was waking everyone up, then he would quit....

on the other hand, have you considered a baby sling?

Elicia

LLonSSinSC

Ha, Cool. I too have a "dipper"- so dainty! I've thought of taping a spoon to Delores' paw so she can get all of her chicken soup!! :hmm: Only kidding, Delores drinks just fine without the silverware!LOL! :popcorn:

I do not have cats but my crew of dogs who follow me around constantly. Nothing like going into the bathroom and turning around to see three watching you very curiously. I have two boxers who are rescues and although the female Molly has settled in rather well, the most recent, an older male, Baron has to check on me constantly as if he is afraid I will disappear like his former owners did.He is a regular "lap" dog all 85 lbs of him and loves to settle down with DH. He pokes his nose into everything and finds my minis really interesting. Our daughter's golden retriever follows along just to see whats up and try to get you to play with him. I have had to banish both Baron and Flynn from my mini room because their size and the retriever's tail can cause a lot of damage. But you got to love 'em.

It's funny to watch my Tuffy as he is a very large cat -- tall and long, but very dainty when he eats. He's the "dipper", and also will eat his dry cat food one "kernal" at a time, chewing slowly and "savoring" each bite -- or so it appears. Whereas his "brother" TabbyGrey is a gobbler. I swear that cat doesn't chew -- just gulp/gulp/gulp/ more, please!!! as fast as he can.

People that don't have pets think all dogs or cats are alike...it is always amazing to me just how different each critter is.

I see Heidi is getting an ocicat! Isn't that one of those semi-wild breeds? I wonder how she'll get along with the rest of your furclan, Heidi!?!

edited to add...oh, never mind. Just did a Google search and I was wrong. Sounds like it'll fit in just fine. Neat looking cat! Why is she just giving them away? Seems like folks would pay good $$ for them!

Gayle - it actually looks like you're cat is grinning! Like a Chesire! I don't think I could say no to her either. I certainly can't say no to mine. The biggest, Fritz, tries to be a lap cat any chance he can get - but he's a big boy and sometimes I can't do other things AND have him in my lap.

The lady of the house isn't a lap cat at all... very skittish but loves to be pet - especially (oddly enough) around her face - even over her nose, eyes, mouth and whiskers - I've never seen anything like it. I had to make a big fabric 'nest' on the miniature table so she could have a space to hang out with me there.

Lily is so adorable! My cat has the same green eyes. He is part Maine Coone Cat. We got him from a shelter 13 years ago, and he has been running the house ever since. He is smaller and thinner than most MCC, fluffy fur and not much under it. He eats a full pouch of wet food 3 times a day, on schedule, and we better not be late. If I forget to fill his dish before I go to bed, he sits on my head, puts his cold wet nose on my face and drools until I get up and do it.

I was washing one of his brushes in my bathroom sink once, and made the mistake of brushing him while he sat on the lid of the toilet Now, EVERY time I go in that bathroom, he runs and jumps on the lid and I have to brush him. He rarely makes noise, but is a snuggler!

My two are with me all the time. They're my companions and I love that they want to be with me all the time. I've got it worked out so that they have their own chairs to sit on when I want to work. If I'm on the computer, Trinity has her own chair right beside my chair, and Missymew has a soft blanket under the desk. When I'm working on miniatures, each of my girls has their own chair that's pulled up to the work table. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Your Lily is a beautiful girl.

-Susanne

some of you remember Lily as this tiny fuzzball...really not too long ago!

She and her sissy Maisie have turned into delinquent teens who bedevil the old gals!

When I see Heidi's new little Oliver, I think back on the good old days when we could sing and rock these babies to sleep

post-2290-1243281924_thumb.jpg

post-2290-1243281939_thumb.jpg

post-2290-1243281960_thumb.jpg

Oliver is on me like white on rice. He also LOVES Chelsea.

He gives kisses. Not like licking your face, which he does, but more like presses his closed mouth up against yours to give you a peck. I have never had a cat do that.