What next? How did you mini grow?

alycemina

Hi all, I've done about 10 houses - kits, rehabs, from scratch and whatever. I spent 15 months on my scratch build and 6 months on one of the rehabs.

I feel stuck recently - I am having trouble figuring out what to do as a big challenge - I want to advance in some way. I rather not just do a "house of the month". I am working on scultping dolls and making a little more furniture, so there is challenge there, but in the builing department, I am at a loss......I have a half built craigslist Bostonian I could work on, but it doesnt excite me right now. I am toying with getting good a making the actual boxes for room boxes...

Any of you had a similar experience? What did you do?

I try to learn new things all the time. I was quite good at building houses, then learned how to do electricity, and wallpaper. (I used to only paint) Tried my hand at making food stuff out of Das air drying clay. Tried rehabbing, tough, but it turned out O.K. Built furniture kits, and figured out ways to make my own curtains. I bacame an avid dollar store watcher, and found cheap items that could be turned into minis. This forum explained to me how to become an ebayer, and aquire paypal. ( very addictive, careful there) When I was feeling really above it all in experience, I bought a new challenging kit to build. For me the Dura-craft log cabin was about the biggest challenge I've faced so far. In future I'd like to buy plan books, and build the houses in them. In my opinion, there is always something new that we can try, and learn how to do. Do you knit, sew, crochet? Those are things I haven't attemPted to learn yet, but the day will come. I'm sure there is something new you can learn to do too. Sounds like you are in a mini boredom slump. Above all, for me, it's just about having fun.

Try also adapting other talents to mini-ing, like knitting or quilting. Or maybe let your imagination run wild and think outside the box for the next house - the way Deb used pastels for the tea shoppe when she says she normally doesn't. Or try setting it in a different time period than the others, so you have to look things up and see what fits as it would be in a different style.

To me every build is a challenge. Im just a pure builder at heart. Ive semi delved into other aspects of mining but they havent held my attention.

My love is to just open a box, smell the wood, dump out the sheets and make a house. Each design poses its own challenges, both in construction and finishing. You never really know how it will turn out when you open that box. Everything is a risk somehow and you never know if what you have in mind will work or not.

I dont think my mining has "grown", I just go with the flow and do whatever comes to mind at that moment.

Corwin, following your Garfield, is enough growth for both of us! :wub:

I just hope I can live long enough to finish most of my houses and I want to take some of them with me to the nursing home! LOL

I have my eye on some of the smaller ones to work on while I'm in the home! :wub: