New House Gift

Selkie

What a wonderful morning I was able to have today even though it was slippery and icy out. I got to meet two forum members for the first time in person at a wonderful miniature shop part way in-between where we all live. Now I actually know someone besides myself that loves minis and all kinds of crafts.

One of the members was most graciously giving her partially built Alexandria to me, along with all the other parts to finish it up. She had advertised it here on the forum back in the early fall and I was the lucky recipient. Yeah !!! and SO many, many thanks publicly for such a wonderful and generous gift.

What a Christmas gift for me and my grandchildren. It's sturdy and will be able to withstand much loving after it is completed. Two of my older grandchildren were on hand to assist with bringing in the house and up the stairs to my craft room. They immediately began arguing as to who would get this new one when I die !!!! They each say they already like this one best.

We had a great time meeting each other and got exhausted protecting the expensive miniatures in the shop from the 3 year olds busy fingers. I'm sure the shopkeeper was glad to see my little ones leave.

I started a new album in my gallery for this house. Here is a sneak peek of the grand lady Alexandria in her current state as she sits on my already crowded workbench.

Wow how lucky to be able to meet a forum member in person, I have been talking to linda now for nearly a year, over the internet, every day we talk, and yes we mostly talk about houses and minis lol and quite often help each other out with ideas and packages of goodies, we have become good friends and share in some personal details of our life as well.

As she only live about 5 hours drive away from me I am hoping to go and meet her one day, Hi Linda, if you are reading this, yes I will come visit one day, and bring the Willow to you, which I have graciously given to her, as I know she has always wanted one, and I do not really like the house style, lol. I know she will cherish it and finish it to perfection as only she can.

Yes it would be great to meet everyone one day, but I am afraid I dont think I will ever get to visit the US or any of the other countries that we are all from. Such a diverse lot we are here lol.

It is just as good to be able to converse here, and get to share ideas and laughs with people from all over the world, that all share the same passion.

Cheers Debra.

Our meeting was wonderful and here are a few more details.

The Alexandria belonged to Mopsidot. She is an extremely talented artisan and was parting with the Alexandria to make room for new and improved craft space and more projects. Hopefully she will post an album soon to show off her work.

Her sister is Pastalinda and between them, they have apparently filled their home to capacity with miniatures and many other crafts. She has albums in her gallery for you to check out.

Although we have been PM'ing and all for quite a while, meeting them in person was so much fun. My grandkids had a good time too.

Wouldn't it be fun to have a "mini" reunion of all the forum members? How cool to see and talk with everyone. sigh ...

Anyhow, my evening (after the little guys were in bed) was spent sorting the new parts and reading the instructions. I wonder if any of you have designed a floor plan for this house before? I mean, which areas did you use for which purpose rooms, etc.?

Our meeting was wonderful and here are a few more details.

The Alexandria belonged to Mopsidot. She is an extremely talented artisan and was parting with the Alexandria to make room for new and improved craft space and more projects. Hopefully she will post an album soon to show off her work.

Her sister is Pastalinda and between them, they have apparently filled their home to capacity with miniatures and many other crafts. She has albums in her gallery for you to check out.

Although we have been PM'ing and all for quite a while, meeting them in person was so much fun. My grandkids had a good time too.

Wouldn't it be fun to have a "mini" reunion of all the forum members? How cool to see and talk with everyone. sigh ...

Anyhow, my evening (after the little guys were in bed) was spent sorting the new parts and reading the instructions. I wonder if any of you have designed a floor plan for this house before? I mean, which areas did you use for which purpose rooms, etc.?

Well, Wolfie just invited us all to her place. lol

if any of you have designed a floor plan for this house before? I mean, which areas did you use for which purpose rooms, etc.?
That's why I put the house into dryfit first, and let it tell me EVERYTHING it wants.

Congrats! I just got the Alexandria from Craig's List.......Here is my question....from the box and your photo, I don't understand what the top floor room......tower/ bay is. Is it a balcony or a room? Guess I could open box and look at the destructions......

Congrats! I just got the Alexandria from Craig's List.......Here is my question....from the box and your photo, I don't understand what the top floor room......tower/ bay is. Is it a balcony or a room? Guess I could open box and look at the destructions......

It's a balcony. I am starting my Alexandria after the holidays so I will be watching for photos!

I was thinking that area on the second floor is a balcony in the original but was wondering about cutting a doorway from the room behind and using it as an extra room - maybe part of a master suite arrangement or something like that. How hard is it to cut the MDF? I've never done one of these kind before. That may stop me from too many actual creative layout/wall changes and stick to just how I would format it instead.

The grandkids think I should try to make the tippy top of the tower available for a secret room for their dollhouse selves to access. Not quite sure if that is really feasible or not. Seems to fit quite tightly. We'll see on that one.

Wondering about a potential music/mini-conservatory area in the 1st floor tower area ...

I was wondering which room to use for a bathroom. I hate to "waste" one of the lovely large rooms but can't imagine having to trek to the 3rd floor for a potty break. What do you think of trying to do an under the stairs powder room for the 1st floor?

First thing on the docket is to find a table to fit it and a space for it to live while it is being worked on. It hangs off my workbench right now because of the shelves I have on the wall behind it so I need something different. Still thinking on that one ...

Oh so many ideas floating around now ... Kept waking up from dreaming about it all night last night.

I was wondering which room to use for a bathroom. I hate to "waste" one of the lovely large rooms...
Three ideas popped immediately to mind (OUCH! it hurt, too!). I bashed on of the Magnolia's lovely large rooms with a hinged wall to make a full bathroom and a children's bedroom.

The little dh people might not mind trotting up & downstairs to a third-floor bathroom.

The bathroom might also be in the invisible back half of the house.

I am putting the Alexandria together as well. We have been putting the lighting in today. The bottom floor I have a living room, dining room and kitchen. The little octagonal room I am using as a woman's small sitting room. The second floor is the master bedroom, gentleman's smoking/game room, bathroom. the third floor is the children's floor which includes 2 bedrooms and play areas. I have found that although this house is very big, the rooms do not seem to fit furniture well. I making some furniture in the 1/16th scale because it looks much more to scale in some rooms than the 1/12.

Since this is my first dollhouse I am sure I will change things again as we move along.

Quote from havanaholly - "I bashed on of the Magnolia's lovely large rooms with a hinged wall to make a full bathroom and a children's bedroom."

I looked at your album and I'm still not quite sure what you did there. Does the wall actually open up with the hinged side or is it the roof that opens to access the bathroom area?

Sorry to sound dumb ... I am old after all ...

Any possible floorplan suggestions and ideas are welcome as well as tips on cutting or shaping MDF. Will my Dremel cut thru it or do I need to use my jigsaw?

You can see a bit of the chamois strip hinge that holds the bathroom wall to the wall with the doorway between the bedrooms here:

gallery_8_988_63963.jpg

I remove the boys' bedroom furniture to open the wall to access the bathroom.

I can see it much clearer in this picture. Thank you.

Did you attach the sink and toilet to the wall so they move with it when you open it or are they free standing? After you attached the roof, the only access to the bathroom for redecorating or repairs is thru the hinged wall, correct?

So many ideas and so little time ....

I can see it much clearer in this picture. Thank you.

Did you attach the sink and toilet to the wall so they move with it when you open it or are they free standing? After you attached the roof, the only access to the bathroom for redecorating or repairs is thru the hinged wall, correct?

So many ideas and so little time ....

The commode stool tank & lavatory are attached to the wall, and that is now acess to the bathroom (in case someone needs to use the facilities).

Sounds like a great solution. I'm going to play with that idea for several dh's I think.

Thanks so much.

Now if I could just find 48 hours in every 24 hour day and gobs of $$'s I'd be all set ... :lol: