What to do with this house?

hydroped

Hi all,

Well you know I can't pass up a dollhouse unless it's just way out of my price range.. see what you all started? lol :( So I picked up this little um... gem... weekend before last and have been racking my brain to figure out what to do with it. It's horrible.

Does anyone recognize this house from a set of plans or kit?.. the plywood is not great so I figure it was probably not a kit but might have been from plans.. or might have just been something someone tossed together out of their imagination.. It's tall, plain and square.

Secondly any ideas of what to do with it? At first I though I'll just fix it - replace the needed windows, and door, plaster and paper the insides, repaint it and send it on it's merry way.. but... I'm afraid that's not enough.. I'd have to add fake doors in the back to make it at least appear to be more than a box.. and then I got to thinking why not just cut off the whole attic and turn it into a fortress tower.. or I could try doing a street front and call it 221B Bakerstreet.. even though it's just one section of rooms... but then what so I'd have an entry way and Sherlock Holmes' office.. but there are 3 floors here.. an no clue what to do with the third one. I think I'm leaning toward the fortress/castle tower... but could sure use some ideas and opinions.

-David

post-86-1141855186_thumb.jpg

post-86-1141855208_thumb.jpg

post-86-1141855235_thumb.jpg

I like the idea of 221B Baker Street, you could make the ground floor a kitchen & larder, bash a new entry at the second floor and have a foyer & coat closet with a bathroom at the back of the hall (hinge the wall), Holmes' study on the third floor and open up the attic somehow for a room for Mrs Hudson.

ok...so the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the pictures was what a great house to bash into a rapunzel type tower!!! :( Now of course that being said I don't have a clue how I'd go about doing that...Can we say beginner with a large imagination :):) I know I'm not much help...but great find...I'm sure you will do something amazing with it!! ;)

Hmmm. I think it's a kit David, or a bashed version of a kit. I can't quite put my finger on it, so I'll alert Calamari.

In regards to what to do with it, well, quite honestly, it screams brick townhouse/brownstone to me, or row house. Either that or bash it into being an addition to something you already have.

Very pretty though! Lots of potential!

My British side ... definitely Sherlock Holmes.

But I can also see a classic brownstone.

Three story houses also make very good haunted houses. You would have to put in staircases though.

Susanne

BTW ... glad you found this house ... looks like it's got great potential.

Sorry that Linda had to come a'lookin' for me -- I was called in for jury duty today!

That house stumps the band. It's not a Walmer Blueberry Pie (dramatically wrong roof, in a way difficult to change) or anything on the list in my blog. Is the construction tab-and-slot with 1/8" plywood, or is it notched and glued with thicker plywood?

If it's tab-and-slot with the thinner plywood, it's definitely a kit: the home carpenter doesn't have the die-cutting machinery to create that kind of house. What baffles me is whose -- it doesn't look like any brand I've heard of.

If it's not tab-and-slot, the options are wide open, and I'd need to dig some more.

Sorry that Linda had to come a'lookin' for me -- I was called in for jury duty today!

That house stumps the band. It's not a Walmer Blueberry Pie (dramatically wrong roof, in a way difficult to change) or anything on the list in my blog. Is the construction tab-and-slot with 1/8" plywood, or is it notched and glued with thicker plywood?

If it's tab-and-slot with the thinner plywood, it's definitely a kit: the home carpenter doesn't have the die-cutting machinery to create that kind of house. What baffles me is whose -- it doesn't look like any brand I've heard of.

If it's not tab-and-slot, the options are wide open, and I'd need to dig some more.

It sort of reminds me of that little one that Cat's doing, except that it's been modified. You know, the one that Cat put the wavy roof on it?

For some reason it says "Fireman's Training Center" LOL Little firemen gathered at the bottom with their little trampoline thing to catch folks. Dispatch office on 3 floor, sleeping quarters on the second, and a truck bay in the bottom. Ladders and ropes hanging from the windows.

Ok I got carried away, and honestly can't say why that comes to mind. I know you said our houses would talk to us, but other people's houses :(

Peggi

David, Mrs Hudson lived on the first floor,Sherlock and Watson lived upstairs.

I remember seeing either that house or one very similar in an article in DHM along time ago. They used brick paper and did a Brownstoneish front. Then they used it to store CD's and DVD's. You may need to adjust the heights of the floors. Have fun

terri

Hi all,

Thanks for the ideas :) I can see I have a few more options to think about. I kind of like the Firehouse idea.. that's one I for sure hadn't thought of! But not sure what I'd do with it when complete. each of the 3 rooms has 10" ceilings.. pretty tall. Haunted house would also be nice but I kind of like the Brownstone look too. Dang this house is just not coopering in telling me what it wants to be!

Calamari - it's a big house - Definitely not tab in slot and here's the dumb thing.. when I bought it the gal told me that it had been a very expensive "kit" when she bought it originally.. did I think to ask her further about it? No :( ugh! I only thought about it a week after I get it home! <sigh> but it's made out of 1/2" inch ply wood and not good plywood at that.. so I'm wondering who would sell a kit made with plywood what's only smooth on one side?.. I don't know It's really odd.

I'm definitely going to have to take my time to think this over.. I feel like I"m overlooking something.. or missing something about the house that should be screaming at me about what to do to it... does that make any sense?

-David

I like the fire house idea!

and a ghostbuster theme would be so kewl!

I bet your son would get into that.

engine bay, kitchen, living quarters, firemans pole.....oooo I wanna do it!

magic brick the outside.

ok I got my own projects to worry about!

have fun....it definatly has bossibilities

nutti :(

it is early morning so if this suggestions isnt appropriate then blame it on the slow coffee pot.

If it is going to be sherlock holmes house, 3rd floor could be a combo library/opium den. Lots of books on the walls, maybe one of those rolling staircases that libraries used to have, table with chess set, roll top desk. chaise lounge with a looonng pipe. Didnt sherlock chase the dragon or was that holmes?

!/2 hr from me is a state park called Gillette`s Castle. The owner. William Gillette, was the original stage actor to play sherlock holmes.

It was a classic school trip when I was a kid, and I remember hearing about sherlock holmes life (make up life)

Dang I like the library idea - I've always wanted a full sized library and library ladder - And yes Holmes (Sherlock Holmes) not Watson :( Was an opium user according to the stories but I think he was on the needle so not sure about the pipe.. but Definitely a medical bag for Watson ... hmm... looks like it's time to take some measurements and study the exteriors of some buildings to see what I think can be pulled off with this structure. It's about 4" tall so I definitely need to draw up some plans - times like this when knowing how to work CAD would sure come in handy.. unfortunately I haven't a clue how to do that so it's litterally - to the drawing board! .. ok drawing tablet. :)

Love the link to Gillette Castle! Talk about inspiring - each door has a lock puzzle and no two are alike - ;) cool!! I'm defintily going to have to look more at that place Thanks!

-David

OK...I had another idea...why not make it into a train station...you

could have the bottom floor as the ticket booth, and the other two for

the train station attendent to stay in... Here is a picture of the

top of a tall train station in Italy and a few more...you could do

just the tall part or add on a bit of the sides or fronts...that would

jazz it up alot...Just an idea...And you could do the fancy window to

help add character....hope this helps since I know my other idea was

beyond vague!!! :(

http://members.aol.com/Zacarious/pic.italy.p1.html

http://www.lightlink.com/sglap3/newhampshire/

:( Time: early 20th century. It's the home of Mamma and Pappa Mangiafritto. They have a lovely little grocery store on the first floor full of lovely ripe fruit. They are proud of their heritage and working hard to be successful American business owners in their new land.

Above the store is the main living area. It's their kitchen, their parlor, everything. Mamma and Pappa have a bed in the corner. Upstairs above them is a room for 6 of their children, Anita, Maria, Luisa, Antonia, Filomena and Mabel. (Mabel was born in America) On the top floor is the room of their beloved son Frederico, who they hope will take over the family business one day. Little do they know that Frederico prefers to go by the name of Fred and has no interest at all in fruit. He actually is one of the great minds of the millenium and is building a rocket up in his attic room which will take him away from his 6 sisters and over ripe bananas and melons.

THE END

:) Time: early 20th century. It's the home of Mamma and Pappa Mangiafritto. They have a lovely little grocery store on the first floor full of lovely ripe fruit. They are proud of their heritage and working hard to be successful American business owners in their new land.

Above the store is the main living area. It's their kitchen, their parlor, everything. Mamma and Pappa have a bed in the corner. Upstairs above them is a room for 6 of their children, Anita, Maria, Luisa, Antonia, Filomena and Mabel. (Mabel was born in America) On the top floor is the room of their beloved son Frederico, who they hope will take over the family business one day. Little do they know that Frederico prefers to go by the name of Fred and has no interest at all in fruit. He actually is one of the great minds of the millenium and is building a rocket up in his attic room which will take him away from his 6 sisters and over ripe bananas and melons.

THE END

Ooooo! I like that one. I like it because my grandfather came over from Italy in late 1800s, settled in Boston, and opened a fish market. He had 7 children. My mother was the oldest. I loved going to little Italy there when i was young.

You can have sticks of sausage and pepperoni hanging from the ceiling, big wheels of cheese, espresso machine, pasta drying on sticks!

Take it to the mattresses, hydroped

Here is a pic from a book of New London, CT for inspiration.

Edited by heidiiiii5

I like either the idea of a shop on the first floor and living accommodations above...or a brothel. Or hey...an old timey shop below or old timey eatery and hotel rooms on the upper floors....exterior stairway with landings all the way up the side of the house. :)

OOOOhhhhh I see a future idea for a project coming out of this...i'll have to jot it down in my notebook! :)

David -

I've had some more ideas:

I like the idea of a ground floor shop with living accommodation above. Maybe the ground floor shop could sell magic books, potions and gazing balls? Travelling gypsy caravans could stop by and trade.

Another idea I had was to make it a 3-story fairy book. Each floor could depict a different fairy tale, nursery rhyme or story.

You've bought a very interesting house.

Susanne

David? Do you need an Tylenol?

LOL - I sure have a lot of thinking to do! But I think I'll pass on the Tylenol :) You know if the house was a little bigger.. base wise like a couple of rooms on each floor.. I'd be thinking old farm house.. or boarding house. But the shap of it really has me baffled.. mostly when the door is open and I can see how very Very square the rooms are. I think I'll try out some arrangements to see how it goes - put some furniture in there and see how it looks decorated (if I can ignore that aweful pink interior lol :) ) I'm also going to pick up a concret former to see what that would look like when I set it next to it. Im definitely going to be thinking over all the great suggestions!! Thanks again everyone :D

-David