Hello everyone; from Texas!

sailor86

My father (rest his soul) was an avid miniature hobbyist who left behind somewhat of a substantial collection when he passed on. I'm somewhat considering following in his footsteps. I don't have much of a clue as to how to start out. I'd welcome any advice that you all might have. Again, hello everyone!

Peace and the blues,

Sailor86

HI and welcome! I am sorry to hear of your father, but maybe you can find comfort in continueing his work. It might help to look around and see if something catches your interest or speaks to you. There are a few threads devoted to beginers and should be easy to find. ( they are pinned at the top of topics) Once you have an idea what you would like to do, I am sure there will be lots of people here to answer your questions. :wave:

Hello and welcome Marvin! What a wonderful heritage you have to work with! I'm sure you will find you have more talents than you realize having just been around your dad and his work. Look at everything he has done, and just follow your instinct!

Good luck!

Hello Marvin, and welcome to the community! :)

Sorry to hear about your dad, but glad to hear that you are keeping his minis in the family, and perhaps carrying on the tradition. I'm sure it will be a great comfort to follow in his footsteps. You'll feel close to him, and maybe somehow he will be with you as you learn more about what was important to him in the mini world. :)

Please tell us some more about you, and your dad, and the mini collection.

Hello and welcome! What sort of things do you have to start your new hobby??

I haven't really ran inventory yet but it's miscellaneous stuff like bare bones music boxes, tiny strips of wood, etc. I've been mostly practicing maintenance on the existing pieces. A new drawer handle here, a drop of glue there, and so on. I may have to sell some of the pieces in order to get the cash I need to purchase the necessary materials and tools.

... I may have to sell some of the pieces in order to get the cash I need to purchase the necessary materials and tools.

That would be a shame - perhaps your dad had a stash of tools and supplies that you've yet to run across. :)

:) Hi Marvin,

Sorry about you dad. My Mom died 12 years ago come December. I have found it a great consolation to finish some of her beloved projects (also those of friends and given to their kin). Mom had a wide area of interests. Dad got rid of a lot of Mom's things, but I did snag her woodcarving tools for working in miniature. When I work on things Mom and I shared I feel very close to her, and have taught these to my nieces and nephews in her stead.

Perhaps In the Swap forum you might find some members who are willing to make you a good deal on some things you need, perhaps a kit or spare tools. The folk here are most generous and helpful. When I didn't have intructions for my Pierce rehab, I had three offers for a set of intructions almost immediately!

I still want to pick up the phone and tell Mom about something neat I just did. Working on crafts we shared is kind of a way to commune with her spirit.

Lynette

Positivity. What an excellent virtue nowadays! I may or may not come across the "hidden stash" that my old man might have left behind, but if I do or don't, I have to absolutely say that this is the most positive bunch of people I've encountered in a long time. (I think the last time was at a Grateful Dead concert; believe me, that's a good thing). And while I'm slowly progressing towards becoming a self-motivated artiste, I have to focus on getting a day job. How hard can that be? (compared to what the job market was ten years ago, somewhat hard). But I'm pretty good at keeping the spirits up as you all seem to have that gift too. Thanks for the well-wishing. Take care all.

Welcome to the forum family, Marvin. I can't think of a better tribute to your dad than to follow in his footsteps and become another miniature artisan. Once you begin to play with the wood and tools you might check out the Guild School in Castine, ME (IGMA; International Guild of Miniature Artisans) to study with some of the artisans still living. I got to meet Bill Studebaker this summer and I'm a big fan of Ferd & Millie Sobol, so I have an idea of the level of work you aspire to.