Dollhouse magazines

Cuppa-Tea

I've been thinking about magazines lately, and how I got a serious inferiority complex from Miniature Collector. When I started this hobby, I didn't know anyone else who did it. I subscribed to MC because I saw all the beautiful pictures in it when I went to dollhouse shops. But I got the impression that everyone who did minis made them that perfectly, so I really struggled, and often got discouraged with my own houses. Finally I cancelled the subscription (about two years) and they emailed me asking why, and I told them "I feel so inadequate!"

I subscribed to Dollhouse Miniatures (I think that's what it's called) for a year because my nephew was selling magazines for a fundraiser. But I didn't renew because of the price. Nearly $40 a year for a magazine is a bit high in my current financial state. I still want to do the 1/4" scale cupboard house project I saw in there, though, I just haven't gotten around to it.

Anyway, I'm just wondering which mags you all subscribe to and what you think of them?

I had never subscribed to any dollhouse magazine until last week. I took out a two year subscription to Dollhouse Miniatures because of all of you mentioning articles and such. It sounds like a terrific magazine and I'm so looking forward to its arrival.

Wendy

I don't subscribe to any miniatures magazines. But, everyone on this site seems to know how to make so many more items than I do. I decided I need to educate myself, so I've bid on some auctions and now have some back issues.

I've got 10 various issues of Dollhouse Miniatures - love their articles.

I've also one an auction for some Nutshell News issues - haven't received them yet. I'll let you know what I think later.

Susanne

I subscribe to American Miniaturist which used to be a really good magazine. The last year has been pretty shaky though. I used to subscribe to Dollhouse Miniatures Magazine but let my subscription run out. I've heard good things about the last few issues so I might just buy the good ones and not bother resubscribing.

I buy American Miniaturist & Miniature Collector and Some issues of Dollhouse Miniature. I Let me American Miniaturist subscription go because I get Barbie Bazzar and doll collector magazine but, I like the Dollhouse Miniature magazine a LOT and may subscribe to it again.

I have miniature collector and really like that mag the best. I sent a subscription card (I got it in a dollhouse kit) in back in december for dollhouse miniatures. The subscription was for 20.00 for a year. I haven't heard from them so I don't know if i'll get that subscription or not. I just thought it was worth it for that price. I have one copy of american miniaturist that i got on ebay. I don't know if other issues are better or not, but the issue that I have is not very impressive. The magazine is also small. It's from a couple of years ago, so i don't know if they have increased the size of their magazine to a normal size now or not. I may give them one more try and buy a recent back issue. I would just hate to get a subscription and not be satisfied, they have the most expensive subscription out there. Margarita

Guest Valerie

I have subscribed for years to Miniature Collector (I love the beautiful pictures of beautiful things), Dollhouse Miniatures and American Miniaturist (since it started) both of which are great if you are into projects - and have lately seemed to become solely just "projects". But my all time favorite is the old Nutshell News which I have collected back to the early 80's. It seemed to have just the right amount of everything. The only real complaint though that I have about subscribing to the above referenced mags is that each month they seem to appear in my local mini shops at least two weeks before I get my issue at home.

Valerie

Margarita, how old was the dollhouse kit? DHM changed publishers about two years ago and their offices moved from Wisconsin to Boston. If the kit was a few years old, it's possible the card had the wrong address on it.

You should call their customer service number: 800-437-5828

Count me as another non-subscriber. My parents subscribed to Nutshell News back at the dawn of time (late 1970s), but I thought it was annoying because my 13-year-old budget and tools certainly didn't extend to anything I saw there.

I don't like magazines in general, though -- I'm an online person.

Anybody have any online suggestions for websites for do-it-yourself projects. That's why I've been picking up magazines to try and find where my interest (and abilities) lie. I go online, but only find so much information. If anyone has any great sites would you let me know. Thanks.

Susanne

I subscribe to American Miniaturist and Dollhouse Magazine.

I like the smaller size of AM because I can carry it in my purse everywhere and it has all levels of projects for the miniaturist who likes to make things.

although I have been unimpressed with DHM for the last few months when my subscrtion ran out I had to renew....I do love to read and learn about all types of miniatures. I have several yrs of back issues of Nutshell news from e-bay and they also are small and easy to take along for light reading.

I love my magazines!

nutti :D

I subscibe to all three, DHM, AM, and MC. I wasn't sure about renewing my DHM subscription until the very last minute and ended up missing an issue. I just couldn't give it up, even tho I wasn't entirely happy with it during all the staff changes they went through. Things seem to be getting better over there, so I glad I renewed. AM is my favorite of the three. I love the smaller size, like the old NN. I've learned how to do so much from their projects, I'll pay the high subscription price. I think its worth it.

terri

I don't subscribe, needless to say 2 people in the same household subscribing to the same magazines would be even too redundant for me And I LOVE redundancy). But having seen the mags THE ONE to get, IMVHO, is Miniature Collector. The how too articles are great, the photos tremendous, good quality paper. They did an amazing build-up of a house from foundation to finish, exterior mostly. But detailed bimonthly articles on different techniques. Miniature Collector blows the others away.

I just got a big envelope in the mail today from dh world.

1 yr for dhw is $82.50 get free 13 piece china set (6mon $48)

amer. mini is 1 yr $59 (12 issues) get free stars and stripes pitcher

I got a 2 free sets of plastic silverware, a Amer. Mini trial issue, and a catalog from Craft Club.

I have alot of mag. subscriptions but those prices make me take pause.

I had a subscription to Dollhouse Miniatures but when they said they were had the magazine up for sale and gave a date for their last issue (without having a prospective buyer) I cancelled the subscription - of course it was then bought by another company and never did close. I watched the magazine a bit sort of unimpressed but because of the last few issues I resubscribed. Still waiting for my first subscription issue to get there but that takes a while :o It's really looking pretty good again! And it reminds me a lot of how it was when it was the old Nutshell News (in the smaller size). And the subscription price is right if you shop around a bit.

I love American Miniaturist the best! - I really like the size of the magazine and thickness of the cover - it's a good sturdy magazine, easy to cary, easy to read and my favorite thing of all is there are lots of how-to articles.. the only thing that puts me off a bit is the price. When you subscribe you basically get about 2 free issues out of the year... if I take into consideration how many magazines come with crumpled covers in my mail or when they get dropped and stepped on the post office.. I think I'd rather spend the $12 extra to get pristine magazines and so far I haven't been buying every issue. There are quite a few back issues I keep looking to buy on ebay but I think my best bet is to just order the back issues and be done with it :)

I like old coppies of Miniature Collector but the newer ones I've seen don't have many projects in them... and that's my main focus. I love knowing how to do something myself.. even if I dont' have the skill to actually do it I like having an idea of how it's done ;) - but that's just me.

-David

Anybody have any online suggestions for websites for do-it-yourself projects.

Susanne, there's a thread elsewhere on this subject.

I subscribe to AM and DHM, DH got me a new sub to the latter for my birthday and I just got my first (March) copy. Like David, I cancelled my old sub when Kalmbach announced they were selling it & we were going on the road with no prospective buyers for it. AM comes in a clear plastic cover to protect it, I had one of my DHMs come damaged.

I used to love DHMS (Dolls' House and Miniature Scene) when the Fanceys published it (EMF), but after they sold it to Warner Group and there were no more dh plans I let it go. I bought a few newsstand copies when we went to Canada, and emailed them to see if they were going to do any more articles with dh plans and they replied that they weren't. Now THAT was an expensive subscription!

I subscribe to all three. DHM has come a long way, they lost alot of subscriptions with those chickens on the front cover.. ;) I am also a dealer of MC and people want quality--I have had MC ever since I was a kid, along with Nutshell News. I am a magazine nut--so I subscribe to all three, DHM, MC, &AM. Since I am also into model horses, I subscribe to JAH Just about Horses, and Model Horse Magazine, a UK magazine.

MC doesn't have alot of how tos, but it lets me know the quality that is out there. DHM has got their act together on how tos, the editor has really turned that magazine around, so I re-subscribed. Since I live far out --I dont' like to travel and spend $25 worth of gas for a $5 magazine. ;) So it's easier for me to have it delivered. One thing I really love about MC & DHM they feature shops WITH directions in them, which is really helpful when I' m traveling and wish to visit a shop on the road. MC will give detailed locations of the shops in the cover of the magazine of the state they are featuring.....I find this extremely convenient, and count the cost of the subscription as a one time fee, vs. time, gas, and I also get all of the issues for back reference.