Hello from Phx,Az

Hello all! Just wanted to introduce myself to the board. This will be my first attempt at making a doll house, so wish me luck! B)

And I will probably ask many questions, so please bare with me with me till I get the hang of it...somewhat..

Katherine

Hi and B)!! Are you building from a kit or plans? If so, which one? Enjoy it!! There are always people here to help with questions and a lot of information for beginners.

;)

Yes I've brought my kit, yesterday actually. After staring at ebay for serevral hours, looking at all the different choices, I ended up going to the Hobby Lobby, and buying The Orchid.

And of course I already have my first question...lol...

Okay Im on the step where Im glueing all the plastic pieces in the windows, and at the end it says

WHEN DRY- TEST FIT THE BAY WINDOW INTERIOR CASINGS TO THE BACKS OF THE EXTERIOR CASINGS. NOTE THAT ONE SIDE OF THE SMALL CASTINGS IS WIDER THAN THE OTHER. POSITION INTERIOR CASINGS SO THAT THE INSIDE OF THE WINDOW CUTOUTS ARE FLUSH AND THERE IS A RECESSED EDGE ALONG EACH OUT SIDE OF THE INTERIOR CASTINGS -(G)

What exactly does that mean? I think I understand, but than again I don't want to do something wrong, just to find out it doesn't fit later on when Im fitting everything together.

I know it may sound easy, but Im just not getting it :)

Any help will be thankful

Katherine

Hi Katherine and Welcome! :)

The Orchids Bay window can be a little confusing. The larger window sections are the outside and the smaller are the inside. It"s made that way because the window wouldn't "bend" without that little space, the outside sort of bends around the inside. Dry fit means that you hold it up to the house to make sure it fits before gluing together, use masking tape to temporarily hold together. Hope I'm making a little sense.

Welcome, Katherine, I hope you painted your frame pieces before you glued in the acetate inserts, or else that you have exceptionally steady hands!lol Also, in spite of how the instructions read, you might wish to wait until you have finished all the decorating before installing the windows & doors and their trims. And I hope you aren't using hot glue; if you want to see why, just click on the "My Gallery" button at the bottom of the box to the left of this post and open my "Laurel rehab" album and go to the last page to see what the house looked like when I got it, "built" with hot glue...

• 2 weeks later...