A Day at the Danbury Miniature Show

Well a good day was had by all. Heidi and I arrived just before 8am in Danbury, and Melissa was right behind us. Judith caught up with us as they opened at 10am. We secured the first 3 spots in the line, and got a great gift. Melissa had printed up scale rulers for us to use, and lamintated them, Thanks for that Melissa. :banana: I recieved a great book from Heidi for driving it is Authentic Color Schemes for Victorian Houses by Rossiter and Wright. Hugggsss Heidi :wave: I'll be reading that tomorrow!!! I had made up gift boxes of bottles I used in Willow Fariy's Shop for everyone, but somehow missed giving one to Judith..... :) Judith if you send me your address in a PM I'll be happy to ship it to you, I do want you to have it. I made an album of the things I bought at the show, with captions. I didn't do as much damage as I expected, it seemed they all had the same stuff: dolls, flowers, expensive furniture, paintings or food. I thought you would like to see all of us who went so here we are, and here is the prize we got for being some of the first 10 in line:

Not only is it great for y'all to meet face to face, but for us, too! Even before the picture downloaded I had the right names with the right faces! Oh, I wish I could've been there to hug y'all, too!

So nice to see pictures of everyone!! I am so happy the four of you got to meet each other! You all got me looking forward to the Bishop Show for sure. All right everyone else, I wanna see pictures of the things you all got too! Dawn, those resin Brackets are wonderful!! I also like that bronze statue!

It's great to see members having fun together! Thanks for the photos, Dawn.

I had to look up "chatelaine" ... Wikipedia says:

Chatelaine is a decorative belt hook or clasp worn at the waist with a series of chains suspended from it. Each chain is mounted with a useful household appendage such as scissors, thimble, watch, key, vinaigrette, household seal, etc...

Chatelaines were worn by many housekeepers in the 19th century.

What a neat thing to have! (Although, I'd be tempted to substitue some nice smooth sherry or port for the vinaigrette!)

Yes We had a great time!!

Dawn took pics of what I purchased since I am sans camera...

Pic one

Pic Two

I got an anatomically correct David, a model ship, violin and bow, a harp (not pictured), 3 child dolls for $2 each!, 2 knitting section with needles, a jug for the kitchen, books, a sewing form, 2 cameos, 2 kits to make flowers, and the door prize (a Bespaq piece)!

David and the model ship are going in the office.

We had so many laughs.All four of us sat down to lunch and chatted. Dawn, Melissa and I went to Trader Joe`s (a grocery store). It was a great time and I cannot wait to do it again. Did Dawn tell you about the miniature police?

This vendor yelled out really loud that someone had stolen from her stand. I thought for sure they were going to start frisking all of us for contraband. Melissa was standing right there and said it first gave her a fright then turned her off buying from that one!

We saw two count em two Wooten desks Greg! But I could not afford the $200+ price tag. This woman had soiled doves. Dawn said she told her if you buy a woman and a man you would get a miniature condom to go with it..I swear to you! I saw them! LOL

There was a woman doing french knotting to show how to do it. We bought iris and tulip kits to make our own (instead of paying $30 for made ones). There were so many goodies I wished I had oodles of money to spend.

At the end of the day they raffled off a full assembled dh. A woman won it and she had her lil Dd with her. I think that was a great win!

If you wanted it..they had it. Got lots of ideas on making things ourselves also.

I am happy to say that this was a great first show for me..I want to go to more! hahahaha

I'm so glad you all got to go and meet up!! It sounds like you had a blast!! Any thoughts to meeting us in Sturbridge June 1st. Kate and I actually signed up to take a class on May 31st at it.

Dawn and I were talking about it. Wondering about hotel fares though. I have to see if the Sturbridge Antique thing is the same weekend. If it is...the hotel fares are going to be astronomical! We want to stay overnight. It would be too much to drive up, walk around and then drive back.

Carrie, We were also talking about going to the Worcester MA show. We asked Melissa about going too. Are you going to that one? It is May 3rd at the Greendale Peoples Church.

Hello All,

It was a wonderful day at the fair :)

It was so nice to meet up with some of my on-line friends.

I will try to take some pictures today of my purchases. There was some gorgeous stuff there, but unfortunately, at lot of it was out of my price range. I love to window shop so that was OK and all those things give me a lot of ideas. I saw a beautiful hand-made carpet ($1400) that cost more than my (real-life) living room one. Ouch! Sorry, but my little people will have to do without :lol: It would be nice to be able to afford -- well maybe someday ...

I am very pleased with the items I could afford and did buy. There were a lot of affordable items at the fair besides so it was not a problem.

I am glad our photo came out well.

:o

OMG! Yes those rugs were gorgeous but WAY too expensive. She was charging by the knotted inch. You could have shrunk me down so I could have spread out on one of those rugs.

Ok, pics of my stuff.

First, the doll kit is just a stand-in ... the one I bought is coming through the mail because she didn't have the one I wanted at the show.

Items:

2 corner cabinets, one completed "little person", one man kit, one double dresser, one fireplace.

With regard to the screaming vendor at the show. I was going to buy some things from her, but after that, I decided not to buy. I really felt odd about her and the way she handled the situation. She should have told Tony (the show manager) and let him deal with it quietly.

:)

The screaming vendor made me jump. She was a bit off that day if you ask me. Kinda gruff to be dealing with the public.

Then she screams (i dont remember exactly..this what Melissa said)

Vendors! Man your stations! We have a thief in the room!

LOL holy hockeysticks!

You did good Judith. I like those corner cabinets.

Yes love the corner cabinets also. I have put an email message to the woman incharge of the Worcester thing so news on that soon. Carrie what class are you both taking in Strubridge? Heidi and I have the schedule of them. We will have to contact the hotel for the room price Heidi.

How nice for you ladies to go to the show in Danbury together! Sounds like it was really good. I'm going to continue to look at what you bought.

Seems kind of unusual to have a vendor screaming about thieves at a miniature show. I would have been so shocked I probably would have fallen over. I thought everyone who loves minis is honest and polite :fish1: At least that is my experience.

Carrie and I are taking the "Capodimonte" chandelier class with Judy Andraka on May 31. It looks really good and I'm so excited to learn how to make a working light! It will be perfect in my MHM (oh, wait, that one's still in the box...)

I am sooooo excited for the Sturbridge show, even though the budget is tighter this year and I've decided to leave my credit cards at home. Boy that's going to be really rough!! I always plan to spend like $50. What a joke. Last year I spent (read:charged) so much it was embarrassing and I'm still paying for it! (It was worth it, though :D )

Oh, also, my friend Wendy is going to be coming with us to the show...she loves little things, especially fantasy figures, dolls, magical gardens and such. We started our doll-making adventure together, but I think she was frustrated because polymer is not like clay clay, like you would throw on a wheel. I think her doll is still without a head :( .

Anyone else is planning to come?! I can't wait to meet some of you all there!

Heidi, I saw something about the Worcester show but didn't look too much into it. I figured I would save my money for the Sturbridge Show. I already talked Steve into paying for the class as my very early birthday gift since it is something I really wanted to do. What I saw on the Worcester Show made me think it would be small. Since it is a Saturday, I might be able to make it though if others are going.

Hi everyone!

I just can't believe where the time goes. I've been meaning to post about the Danbury Mini Fair, but haven't had the time. Work just seems to get in the way of having fun. It was great to meet Heidi, Dawn, and Judith. It's nice to be able to put a face to a name. I did manage to find some goodies to satisfy my mini addiction and had a good day, except for the "screamer". As Heidi and Dawn already mentioned, I was standing at a table with several other women, when all of a sudden, the owner screamed out that she was just ripped off by a "thief". Her language was inappropriate. I looked at the expressions on the faces of those close to me and they were all the same. Our eyes opened wide and our jaws dropped. We were surprised by the tone and body language of the owner, who had come around to the front of her table to make sure that she was "heard by all". I was in line at the time and the gal in front of me turned to me and said "I'm not buying from her. She's rude and unprofessional." With that, she put her selection down and left. I still made my purchase and I felt that the items I got were a good value. But for the next five minutes that I was in line, the owner (Laura DuBois from Buffalo, N.Y.) was still very upset and and it showed. She claimed that the item stolen was around $250. or so. I remember years ago when I did juried craft shows, one of us stayed in the back of the display making change and wrapping the items and the other person stayed in front of the display, helping the customers and of course watching the merchandise. It is sometimes impossible to avoid having something "lifted", but I think things should have been handled differently. I would also say that the owner made several people uncomfortable with her screaming. I sold crafts for many years and never had anything stolen from me. I believe that 99.9% of the people who go to shows are honest and genuinely interested in the craft and respect the talents of the crafter. Well, I guess that's MORE than my two cents worth!

but I think things should have been handled differently. I would also say that the owner made several people uncomfortable with her screaming.

I'll say ... personally, I thought she was on drugs. I was going to buy from her, but after that outburst, I decided not to buy.

:lol: