Newbie Here

coopers

Hi, To everyone

I am going to start my first doll house. It is the Orchid. It looked like it would be very simple for the first one. I live on the Oregon coast, Nehalem. If anyone knows the area Nehalem is between Seaside and Tillamook. I am very excited to get started on the doll house. Any advise for this first timer?? Thanks coopers

Hi Lillian, and welcome to the community!

Feel free to ask any questions that arise. All of us started out where you are ... opening that first kit box. The Orchid is a sweet build and a lovely house that can go in many directions, as you'll see from the blogs and galleries!

Hi and :banana:!! The Orchid is a great first house. It is the first one I finished myself. There are great blogs and threads full of advice on beginning a house. My advice is always to relax and enjoy it. Remember you are the only one who has to be happy with it.

:blink:

Welcome to our "little" family here, Lillian. The Orchid is a straightforward build, no surprises, and very versatile. There are several posts scattered here & there with suggestions for getting started and lists of basic tools & supplies.

I suggest you read over the instructions and study the schematics until you feel comfortable. You might want to check out my album of rehabbing the Laurel to see why you might rather use carpenter's wood glue than the recommended hot glue. Masking tape is VERY useful, as you'll want to dry-fit the kit before committing anything to glue (assemble the pieces & hold them with the masking tape instead of glue to see what it 'll look like finished; the interior dividing walls can be moved about or left out, and the dry-fit will help you decide what you want to do with them). You'll want something to cut with; many folks use the Exacto-type craft knives, I have an old Stanley utility knife/ box cutter that works fine for me. Many of the kits come with sandpaper, but if yours doesn't, Wal-Mart has packages of sandpaper and what you don't use to sand rough edges on your house you can cut into strips and use for shingles.

Hi Lillian and welcome. My tip for the first time, have a lot of patience don't get in a rush and take all the other advices. Succes looking forward to photo's of your work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...