Hello everybody

Ayla

Hello. I'm new to the whole forum and blog thingie. I don't even know if i'm doing this right. Also new to building a doll house. I just got the Orchid for my first (hopefully first of many). I really have no idea what i'm doing. :) I've looked around and feel totally intimidated but i'm gonna try. I love what so many have done with theirs. This is going to be a project for myself and my son (he's 8 but totally loving the whole mini thing). He's been begging me for ages for something like this. So any tips and suggestions would be wonderful. I'm gonna try and upload as many pics as i can of my progress. Anywho that's all for now. Hope to get to know ya'll. bye.

:) Welcome! I am in a very similar sitiuation, I joined last night. Never bloged/forumed before, got great tips! I mde my first doll house in Aug 2007, and am currently working on my 4th. Very addictive hobby. I am waiting on some wall paper for my best friends orchid, then it is done. It was a great joy building, you should enjoy. I am hoping to down load pic of it later today in my album, so check it out.

<Peggi, look! Shannon has the Beaumont in her avatar!>

Welcome to our "little" family, Shannon, and thank you for coming out of lurkdom with your 8-year-old (you need to get him started putting together furniture kits for your houses).

You don't have to know what you're doing, you begin a hobby to learn how to do things. Feeling intimidated is a normal reaction to opening the kit and seeing all those sheets with all those little pieces and realizing they might end up looking like the picture on the box (it's OK if they don't, too; we call that "bashing"). There are no rules that you have to follow (although the kit instructions are often a help) and prior experience isn't necessary. All of us began with our first build. The best thing you can do is learn from your son the feeling that you can do this, because you can.

Hi and :)!! The Orchid is a great first house. Just relax and enjoy it. The only ones who need to be happy with it are you and your son. There are many tips on this forum including a thread on how to begin. Plus people are always willing to help out. The Orchid was the first house I finished on my own. Enjoy it!!

:)

<Peggi, look! Shannon has the Beaumont in her avatar!>

The Beaumont??? Where's that? The picture in my avatar is actually a local mansion that is known as the old Thompson house. It's been vacant for several years. Origanally built in 1908 (i think). Unfortunatly it's now located in the ghetto. I took this pic one day while driving around looking at all the old houses. Poor beautiful house is begining to fall into disrepair. I think the current heirs are young (still in college) and don't live locally. It's been in the same family since it was built.

The Beaumont is/was Greenleaf's answer to those of us who want a Southern Plantation type house! It is/was a beautiful dollhouse kit, and if they ever bring it back I will sell Doug and buy it! LOL

It truly is a shame when the historical old homes fall into disrepair and eventually "go away." It is a beautiful house! If I lived there I would dress the part!

Wolfie a Scarlett O'Hara wannabe!

The Beaumont is/was Greenleaf's answer to those of us who want a Southern Plantation type house! It is/was a beautiful dollhouse kit, and if they ever bring it back I will sell Doug and buy it! LOL

It truly is a shame when the historical old homes fall into disrepair and eventually "go away." It is a beautiful house! If I lived there I would dress the part!

I'm afraid I'd look like Aunt Pittypat Hamilton without the "vapors".

Peggi & I want to build one, I'm thinking 12 Oaks, although Magnolia Hall in Charleston is awfully tempting, too.

Ha Ha!!!! That makes since since i am in Louisiana!!! Thanks. I'll have to look at it. Maybe one day it can be my new project!!

;) Hi Shannon,

I joined today and am still learning my way around the site. I've been building and playing with dollhouses for my entire life. My Grandfather built my first one for me when I was three. I still have it fifty-six years later. I built my own first furniture by glueing magazine pictures on pieces of cardboard. Since then I have learned how to use wood!

Hope to be seeing you around here.