Stitcher

I am also retired and semi-new to dollhouses. I helped my husband some 30 years ago when he was building a dollhouse for our daughter. Now I want to try it on my own. I bought an Orchid kit and am a bit anxious about starting it. I will probably ask a lot of questions. Janet :) P.S. I'm sorry, Barbara, I inserted this in the wrong place (in your replies). I have never done this before. :thumb:

Hello and welcome Janet. Feel free to ask any questions. Please browse the gallery and the blogs. There is 2 blogs on this particular house that may help you get over any anxiety. Although every time I open a box that anxiety has to be quieten down. Usually by petting the wood.

I welcomed you with Barbara because I read her thread before getting to yours. I enjoyed building the Orchid. I get the nervous wobblies every time I open a kit box, even one I've built before. I follow a basic routine that calms me down enough to begin without anxiety attacks.

As you read the different posts about building the houses and what we do that is diffeerent from the instructions, and read the blogs and the descriptions of the album pictures in the Gallery, you will see that there are many different ways to approach building. The very most important part is to remember that this is FUN, you are building a TOY, whether it's for your grandchild or for the little inner child that lives inside of you, patiently waiting its turn to come out and play with it. You are going to cut & paste & color, you are going to cut & sand & fill and you are going to stain and leal and prime and paint. You are going to floor and side and shingle. You are going to furnish & quite possibly move in a little family. You are going to have FUN.

Welcome, Janet. :thumb: Was the dollhouse that you and your husband built for your daughter a kit, or was it from scratch? Just curious about which one it may have been. The Orchid is a lovely dollhouse. Have you seen what some people here have done with theirs? (I haven't built mine yet - but I have lots of plans for it.)

... you are going to stain and leal and prime and paint.

Holly, this may be a typo, or it may be something I'm not familiar with. What is leal?

...Holly, this may be a typo, or it may be something I'm not familiar with. What is leal?
A typo. I'm a touch-typist with right-lefthand confusion, so if you look at where the "l" & "s" keys are, you can see how I do it; and my fingers are faster than the eye, I completely missed it when I was doing a scanning proof before I hit the "Add Reply" button. Sealing is something I rarely do anymore; lealing, never.lol

Thanks everyone for making me feel so welcome. I believe the dollhouse my husband made was a kit but I do not remember the name of the house. He was in the Navy at the time and was gone a lot. He would work on it when he could but it took several years to finish it. We moved every 2 years and just trying to make sure the packers and movers packing it all carefully was a job. The dollhouse itself is another story. He would stand over them like a hawk making sure they wrapped and packed it properly. In all those years it always came through without any boo-boos.

Welcome to the forum!

the Orchid is so versitile I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

sooo about this 30 yr old dollhouse...any chance you still have it? do you have photos?

I do so love the older models of houses!

Happy Building!

nutti :wub:

I'm a touch-typist with right-lefthand confusion, so if you look at where the "l" & "s" keys are, you can see how I do it; and my fingers are faster than the eye, I completely missed it when I was doing a scanning proof before I hit the "Add Reply" button. Sealing is something I rarely do anymore; lealing, never.lol

Oh Holly, I'm the same. (Touch-typist with some right/left confusion beginning to set in.) Normally, I can tell what the word is supposed to be, but my brain keeps freezing on me. :birthday: I'm sure I'll be fine once the weather warms up ... I'm quite sure ... :wub:

... sooo about this 30 yr old dollhouse...any chance you still have it? do you have photos?

nutti :birthday:

I'm very curious about it, too!