Hello from Massachusetts!

twilight1000

Hi Everyone!

A couple years ago, I quit my job, sold my house and moved in with my brother, his 10 year old daughter, and 3 1/2 year old son. We live in a small town in an area of MA called the South Coast.

On the topic of dollhouses: I have more than I can recall since some of them are in storage. I’ve never built one from scratch. Most have been won on eBay but a few I bought from a dollhouse store that was going out of business. The ones that live with me include one that I bought about 30 years ago; that was my first (not counting the metal ones I had as a kid). I have one that came finished, electrified and furnished. I let my niece play with that one. I have a crude one that I practice on (poor thing!). I have an RGT Vermont Farmhouse Jr. I have a Harrison. But best of all – my favorites - I have 4 Glencrofts! My favorite of the 4 was won finished and electrifed. That was about 4 or 5 years ago. And I won a mostly finished one a couple weeks ago.

My favorite dollhouse show is the one in Sturbridge in early June. They have tons of sellers and a wide variety of types and quality of … well, everything. Then I like the show that used to be in Braintree but was in Dedham this year. There are fewer sellers but it’s easier to browse.

Well, I've done enough browsing through this forum to know that you're going to want pictures. I don’t have my own digital camera but I’m sure my brother will let me use his. Else, I’ll stop babysitting! :wub:

Hi and :( from another person in Massachusetts. I live on the North Shore. I loved the Sturbridge show and Braintree show this year. They were my first dollhouse shows. I met people from this forum to go to both. I can't wait to see some of your pictures. What are you working on now?

:wave:

Welcome to the neighborhood Gail!! Wow, 4 Glencrofts!! What wonderful eye candy you must have. I can't wait to see some of your things and thanks so much for stopping in to say hello to us!! I hope you do get a camera cause I would love to see your wonderful treasures. Which of your houses is your favorite? Tell us why (It'll help us imagine what you have). :(

Oh I'm so excited!! Another miniaturist from MA. Where on the South coast?

I'm over here on Marthas Vineyard...lonely in my hobby as I don't know anyone here who shares it.

Welcome to the Greenleaf forum. And you've got to get that camera and start uploading pics! ( I just got my first digital camera today!)

I'd love to go to one of those dollhouse shows. Maybe next June in Sturbridge.

Keep us posted as when you find out the date of that one.

Michelle

Michelle, I live in Marion. Do you know where that is?

The Sturbridge show date for 2008 is Sunday, June 1. (Saturday features a preview show but I've never gone; I think there's a charge to get in.) Now that I think of it, here's a link to Molly Cromwell's website; she's the organizer. http://www.mollycromwell.com/

My favorite dollhouse, without question, is the Glencroft. I love the Tudor stye and I'd love to live in a real house that looks like that. It's quite cleverly done, with the staircase on the side against a wall instead of being in the way in the middle of a room. I like that it's small and cozy, but I also wish it had another room or 2. (I saw one on eBay that had a room added to the other side of the living room. Has anyone here done something like that?) I love the window seats and the 'awkward' ceilings on the second floor.

It looks like I'll be getting a digital camera for Christmas from Santa Mom!

Oh yeah I know where Marion is. I go up to Wareham all the time, visiting, shopping, etc. I took the boat over to New Bedford 2 weeks ago. But I usually take the boat to Woods Hole, can bring the car aboard. I just got a digicam.. and.. there is a tudor style house here I'm going to take a pic of. If it stops raining and the sun comes out. Maybe tomorrow?

Ok June 1st. I'll have to put that on my calender and maybe a bunch of us will meet up there. Got 7 months to plan.

Now,, about building your dh. Read the directions.. over and over and over. Take your time, browse thru the forum , gallery of photos, and blogs. It took me about 2 weeks of "mind prep" to get confident enough to start building. You can get overwhelmed at first. Just take the advice from the folks here who have built many dh's. Don't use a hot glue gun!! Do a dry fit! Sand , and prime. Take your time, if you get discouraged, walk away, read the forum some more, ask questions, or just vent. Also, to get inspired,

Browse thru miniature catalog companies online such as Miniatures.com..., Manorhouseminis.com, HobbyLobby, whatever you can find. Lots of goodies. You will need accessories, furniture, wallpaper, trim, moulding,etc.. Google up miniatures and dollhouses, see what comes up.

Ok, enough for now. Keep us posted on your progress.

Michelle

Jen, thanks for the cheerleaders! I'm going to keep them close by!

Michelle, I've taken the boat from Woods Hole to the Vineyard. This was 2 years ago and I was on an antique car tour. The tour was based in Woods Hole and we spent 4 days driving around, sight-seeing and visiting local points of interest. I rode in a Model T (I think - I can't remember!).

As far as reading the dh instructions, that's one thing I intend to do. And, as you say, repeatedly! And I have 'don't use hot glue!' burned into my brain. :lol: However, I think I'll paint, paper and floor my latest Glencroft that arrived assembled.

I found some dh pictures on my hard drive but they're too big to post and I don't know how to resize them. Which is sad because I know I read the how-to's somewhere on here. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

I'm a former Broctonian from way back! My kids both live on the cape - one in Mashpee and the other in Centerville. I sure do miss the Cape and I miss whole fried clams! What I wouldn't give for a whole great big bunch of clams and fried green pepper rings, etc., etc., etc.

Miss all the stores too this time of year....everything was soooooo Christmas. Don't miss the humidity though, or Governor Dukakis who was in charge when I left Massachusetts in 1989. I could feel his hand slipping out of my pocket as the plane left the ground! Hey, does Kitty still drink?! LOL

Wolfie

Wolfie,, omg. LOL Does she still drink. ha ha

About a month ago, Kitty Dukakis came over to the island to give a lecture, tell her story about alcoholism and her electroconvulsive therapy for depression. She was promotoing her book..appropriately called "Shock". She's a very nice woman. Small dainty lady. I enjoyed the lecture.

So I don't think she's drinking anymore. lol (I've given it up as well. been one yr.)