The Arthur vs The Orchid

ndtono

I found my Arthur dollhouse I had bought at an estate sale years ago..totally forgot about it..nice surprise for me!! it was made in 1985..and was packed away at my daughters house.

most of the pieces look like they are there, and someone did start it..no shingles but by a quick scan it looks like the other pieces are complete..

I built (almost completed) my orchid..my first house..and the 1" scale furniture (most) is too big for it in my opinion.. and I do not really like the space wasted on the big gable area..although I will make it a bed area..

my question is, is the Arthurs scale the same as the orchid or will it take the 1" scale furniture better than the orchid?

are the rooms bigger..by the pic they appear to more roomy..

thanks

Well, I am looking at my arthur which is sitting right next to a white orchid. They are the same size, Arthur is an inch taller.

Comparison: orchid -upper wall sits between 2 gables

arthur - upper wall sits 1/3 of the way into middle gable (so bathroom is bigger)

orchid - stairs go up side

arthur, stairs go up middle (right in line with front door)

orchid - bay window on side and 2 upper windows (on sides)

arthur - 2 upper window (on sides)

orchid - square windows

arthur - domed windows

orchid - small porch for front door only

arthur - full width front porch

orchid - front 3 upper gable windows

arthur - front 1 gable window and 2 little tiny rectangle windows under eaves

I have two Arthurs. They have the center stairway with larger room on the left. I have a Chrysonbon stove, a sink I made with brick-look legs, an icebox, and shelves in the kitchen and it doesn't look too crowded. The bedroom won't take more than a twin bed, and dresser. The bathroom is big enough. I like the rounded top windows and the porch is nice. Mine are not modern decor but you could fit in a small modern kitchen.

UNFAIR QUESTION! I love them both! I have not had the pleasure of building an Orchid dollhouse yet, but have built several Arthurs and have one left in a box in the basement. I love both houses though!

Wolfie

I like both houses, and I haven't found any dh kit that finishes "true to 1"" because of the license that must be taken to allow our big hand in there to hang & arrange drapes, place accessories, etc.

I've built 1 Arthur and 2 Orchids (one being the White Orchid) I like the Orchid a little better, mostly because of the windows. The thing I like about the Arthur is the full front porch and I agree the rooms are slightly bigger in the Arthur. I just like the look of the Orchid better. Just my opinion...

ok..thank you..but...I am still pondering..hmmm

only I can make the final decision..I guess..

I have read the blogs on the arthur and I have built (almost) an orchid..

so..off I go to work on the orchid..

have a nice Sunday......

I've built them both. The Arthur seemed to go together easier, but that could be because the Orchid was my first house. :monkeydance: I think the Orchid is prettier on the outside.

I think the Arthur's upstairs rooms are easier to deal with. The gable in the Orchid takes a ton of space out of the bedroom.

Also I left the stairs out of my Arthur. The downstairs room wouldn't be as big if I hadn't.

I have only built an Orchid yet and I was very happy with the scale though. My Arthur is still in box so I have no idea which of the houses is bigger in the inside. I like the design of both houses. They have both a lot of character, so can't deside which one I like better.

I like them both, too! I would sit them close enough together to use as one house! If it doesn't fit in one-put the rest of the furniture in the other. You need to use your imagination! Have fun! Maybe set one up as the "L", to the other to make more rooms!

I happen to be staring at both houses, as they're on top of the cabinets in the living room.

The Arthur is roomier, but the Orchid gives you more flexibility in placing the upstairs wall so that you can have a smaller bath and a larger bedroom.

The Arthur is a slightly easier build because the windows are more straightforward, but it's not a huge difference.

The Arthur was better about telling me what it wanted, so it got finished quickly. The Orchid is indecisive and argumentative. I am very close to ripping off all the interior trim and starting over.

I prefer the Pierce of the 2.

Orchid or Arthur? ...... play fair Andrew!!!

I've not built the Arthur, but I'd like to. I LOVE the Orchid. I've probably stuffed as much furniture into that little house as most people would put in a Pierce. I love lots of furniture in my dollhouses! If you look for the different Orchid builds in the Gallery and Blogs, you'll find that some members have moved the downstairs dividing wall (or left it out entirely), moved or re-designed the staircase, and even made a faux-bathroom in the bedroom gable.

-Susanne

There are building blogs for BOTH kits, if you want to study them to help your decision. Or, you could buy & build one of each & decide which one you prefer.

Or ...you could bash the 2 houses together. I'd like to see that!

-Susanne

Orchid or Arthur? ...... play fair Andrew!
Huh? Andrew play fair? Isn't that a tad like asking a lion to become a vegan?

I gave the Arthur I built to a budding collector and she has fully furnished it and is decorating up a storm with it. I made the bed in the gable recess and made the upstairs larger room an apartment, with a full bath in the smaller room and a shop & storeroom downstairs. The Arthur was the first team build I did and I tried out a lot of ideas with it. It's a sweet little house. I do agree with positionable walls the Orchid gives more flexibility.

I have learned that I can look at the picture of a kit and it will begin to suggest to me what it would want if I were to build it. I suggest you study the pictures of both kits, front & back views, and see which one begins murmuring the most/ loudest.

Thanks for all of the ideas..

I like the idea of putting them together..arthur porch on orchid is what I am going to seriously look at..

if I hadn't stoned the orchid I would be tempted to try them together to make very deep rooms..but I have not done the arthur yet so just for fun I am going to see if there is a way to attach them..just leave the front wall off of the arthur ..

if not L shape is another option.

thanks..hmmm, maybe this is why I never finished my orchid..there was more to come that I didn't know about???

something just popped in my head..turn the arthur around attach the back of the arthur to the back of the orchid and attach the front wall of the arthur on hinges so the whole house will open and close and then the dusting will not be such a problem..and the rooms will be very large..