wallpapering ideas

redneck princess

I'm sure this has been a question on here before, but too lazy to search everything :) I bought some scrapbook paper for use as wallpaper in my dh and just wondering if there is any prep work I need to do (sizing the walls like w/regular wallpaper), and if there is certain glue or wallpaper paste I need to use. Also, if the wallpaper gets damaged or I change my mind (which I'm known to do) how easy is it to remove?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me ;)

You might want to spray it with a sealer, some kinds of inks "run" & blotch, I've been told. I put regular wallpaper paste on the back of the paper and hang it like I did full-sized wallpaper, just not in the strips that can come loose at the top and cover you & your hair in wet wallpaper & paste (yuck, blech!).

I have found that paperig on a gloss-painted wall the paper removes easily being dampened with the warm water & white vinegar mixture.

I use contact/rubber cement to hang paper, both doll house wallpaper and scrapbooking paper. I use it in dry mount mode: coat both paper and wall with the cement and let it dry, then stick it up. It holds well, is easy to smooth out wrinkles and/or bubbles, and can be pulled off and repositioned if necessary.

Also, it doesn't soak into the paper, so the paper stays firm. I'm not too swift with water-based glues of any kind. I end up with papiér maché half the time. *sigh*

The scrapbooking "wallpaper", in my first house is held on firmly with scrapbooking double back tape. It's been on for 5 years. I recently decided to change one room in that house, and it came off very easily, I just needed to sand a little where some of the sticky remained. I also, always paint walls, to help with the "changed my mind" process. The paper I used must have already been treated, as it did not run, fade on dry out, as it came. I really like "mactac", for wallpaper. It's a little tough to work with, but is inexpensive, washable and very easily removed.

I'm planning to hang scrapbook paper "wallpaper" and lay down grass on my Hobbit hole's ceiling/roof this evening or tomorrow night depending on how many more coats of paint the box takes, so this is a timely subject for me! my "wall" in this case is a slice from a stiff cardboard hatbox I found, so I think I'll give the dry mount rubber cement approach KathieB suggested a try.

The scrapbooking "wallpaper", in my first house is held on firmly with scrapbooking double back tape. It's been on for 5 years. I recently decided to change one room in that house, and it came off very easily, I just needed to sand a little where some of the sticky remained. I also, always paint walls, to help with the "changed my mind" process. The paper I used must have already been treated, as it did not run, fade on dry out, as it came. I really like "mactac", for wallpaper. It's a little tough to work with, but is inexpensive, washable and very easily removed.

What a great idea! I never would have thought of that.

I only used scrapbook paper on one of my houses. The advice I can offer for you is to seal it first. The paper I used did not have bleeding ink or anything but it was very fragile. Regular wallpaper is tough and thick but scrapbook paper isnt so maybe sealing it will give it an extra coat so it will be tougher.

I use regular wallpaper mucilage for pasting it up. Mod Podge does not let you reposition because it dries too quickly and its very watery so the paper becomes very wet and that tends to make it wrinkle or warp. It also can tear if you try to reposition even a second after its up.

Scrapbook paper is so light and airy that you might be better off pasting it up using a glue stick. At least that way it wont become all soggy with wetness since its a thin paper.

I primed the walls, then used spray adhesive on the scrapbook paper on mine...The trick is not to use too much of the spray....I put the paper into a box lid and used that to keep the adhesive from getting everywhere...worked pretty well!! Hasn't fallen off yet....

also, fyi...here's a link to a scrapbook paper website where you can download and print your own for free..

http://www.scrapbookscrapbook.com/

also, fyi...here's a link to a scrapbook paper website where you can download and print your own for free..

http://www.scrapbookscrapbook.com/

Thanks for the great website! I have been looking for some murals for the ceilings and they have some great pieces! I am downloading like crazy. I will have to remember to link to them when I order from Amazon.com so they can stay online.

I wallpaper using Wonder Under and just iron the paper to cardboard templates (lightweight cardboard), then just tack the templates to the walls so I can get my hard wiring under the templates and also change wall coverings later on down the road.......

Wolfie

The method I plan to use to wallpaper my dollhouse is to cut templates (before assembling the house) of poster board. Then wallpaper the poster board and attach it to the walls with YES glue.

I've been told you can do the walls of a house that's already built by using wax paper to make the templates of poster board, then cut the wallpaper to fit. The wax paper bends easily and you can use a stylus to make creases in the right place.

You can also use fabric with tiny print and attach it to poster board with double sided carpet tape.

And speaking of wallpaper... Just today I stopped by the local paint store and asked if they had any outdated wallpaper sample books. They had about 10 of them. I flipped thru one that had lots of pretty paper , perfect size for the dollhouse rooms. they also had white and off white textered paper that will be perfect for the ceilings,, And a couple that looks like tile for the kitchen floor or bathroom. I'll be going back to look thru the other books. Great find! And Free!! I think you just wet the back and stick it on the wall.

I can't wait to get going on this and upload some photos for you all. I'm still waiting for some stuff to come in the mail, that's slowing me down. I can't put the shell together until I get the replacement wall tracing and cut out a new one.

I don't know if I should wallpaper before I construct the shell? or wait until it's together and try to fit my hands in there.. hmmm. What did you all do?

I love the look of the wallpaper, chair rail and paint on the bottom.. so prettyyyy!!!!

Michelle