Different roof on my Lily

Just One More

Hi all,

I decided to put the regular line mansard roof on my Lily. I made cardboard patterns of the three roof sides and then cut the foam core from the patterns. The pieces slope toward the roof top from the kit. They are lighter weight than plywood so I'm going to back the foam core after its glued in with wood strips to look like a real attic, instead of putting up braces. By the time the shingles and the other roof trim is on, it should be pretty sturdy. Since I'm not cutting away anything, if it doesn't work out I can always put on the original roof. I'd rather use wood but with only an exacto knife it takes too long. Hope it works.

Pat

I can't wait to see pics. It sounds very intersting.

Well, that goes for me as well! This sounds intruiging and I am really looking forward seeing pics to see ig yhat fits with the image I havein my mind's eye...

Hugs

so instead of the mansard old southern house

it will be a flat walls for the 3rd floor like an old style townhouse in a big city. the kind with garden roof tops?

I can see that!

good idea! gives some more space to the attic area for sure!

I look forward to seeing some photos!

nutti :wave:

Oh, it sounds very interesting. I haven't reached the point yet where I feel comfortable bashing yet. Perhaps some day.. :shifty:

Me too! Heck, I am scared to build my first one. :ohyeah:

I can't wait to see photos!

Hi all,

Just finished gluing all the foam core pieces on the roof. I had to put up temporary supports because the roof top piece was a little warped and I wanted it to be level. With the shingles and trim, the foam core will never show. There is much more room on the top floor now. If I can figure out how to reshape the dormers to fit I'll put the two windows in the front.

It's amazing what you can do with scraps, foam core, strong masking tape and an exacto. I never throw away good shaped scraps.

Took some pictures but until my daughter comes I don't have a clue how to show them to you. I'll take more as I go along.

More later when I can send pics.

Pat