Mary had a table saw

Its teeth were bright as ice.

And everything that Mary made

Came out so very nice.

She scorned to use the safety guard.

Said it "got in the way"

And that is why she only has

Three fingers left today.

Remember to read all your instructions and take care!

I have a table saw and I'm in dire fear to use it! Same with my other Dremel tools I couldn't wait to get years ago......sigh......

Wolfie still has all her fingers and toes because she is chicken to use her tools!

Wolfie

I always use safety glasses when I cut things for fear of a broken blade flying. I think it is really good to read the instructions and teach our children to do the same. Your poem really makes you think about the importance of tool safety.

I was raised with power tools. I've been building stuff since I was 4. No need to be afraid of them. Just have respect for them, pay attention to what you are doing, plan what you want from the machine before you use it and wear safety glasses. And my mother and I are the only ones in my family who have not been hurt by a tool (the men get careless) In fact, I don't know of any women who use tools who have been hurt. So go for it ladies!!!!

The only power tool I have so far is my Dremel...and I do need to be better about wearing safety glasses with it. It's too easy to pick up stuff and work with it, with the Dremel, close to my face so I can "see better". I won't see at all if I get somethin' in my eye!

But truth is, folks can get hurt with "hand tools", too -- I've done some wicked things to my hands with an errant x-acto knife, for example...

I only have my dremel as well. For the most part if it is major sawing I have my dh do it. I do have to say my other hand tools and my quilting tools--rotary cutter I fear even more. Thanks for the reminder to be careful!!

I'm all togged up like an astronaut when I go into the garage to use my dremel, with my safety goggles over my normal glasses & my dust mask, but my eyes & lungs do a lot of work & deserve to be looked after occassionally. :wave:

Jackie

• 3 weeks later...

So far, the only somewhat high-tech gadget I've used is my dremel. I don't use any safety goggles. Actually, the dremel belongs to DH and he doesn't have any goggles (????) and I just haven't gone out to get any. I suppose I should.........

So far, the only somewhat high-tech gadget I've used is my dremel. I don't use any safety goggles. Actually, the dremel belongs to DH and he doesn't have any goggles (????) and I just haven't gone out to get any. I suppose I should.........

The dremel can kick out dusk, chunks, splinters, and pieces of sandpaper quicker than you can blink. Which is why you NEED to wear goggles and get on DH's case to wear 'em, too. This isn't a place for macho man posturing!

My husband showed me a table saw at harbor Frieght the other day and my first comment was, "Wow, I could REALLY do some damage to my fingers with that."

I have the mini cut saw from there and I love it....So far I still have all my fingers....

I have to admit, I am bad about putting safety glasses on when I am using the power tools like the cut saw and the dremel. I'll have to get better at taking the right safety precautions. I'm bad enough with the pliers.....(note big blood blister on index finger)

Well I've been using my Dremel while working on my Pierce. I have an actual face mask like the ones welder's use, but it's plexiglas rather than metal....but I feel better using it.

Safety first now...... I also no longer clean greenware dry anymore......I use damp brushes. No more breathing dust and fumes!

Be safe out there people!

Wolfie