I have a little elf living in my house

Missymew

This morning before I went to work I went downstairs to check on my dollhouses (yes I'm an addict and I admit it). To my surprise my Arrow Toy Store was sitting on my workbench all finished! Roof was on and it was sitting on a grassy base (ready for me to finish landscaping).

Ray had stayed up until 3:30 A.M. to finish the moldings and the roof. He also covered my base in a sheet of grass. He had to go in tonight to work for the next 3 night-shifts. He wanted the dollhouse/toy store finished so that I could decorate it during my week off (starts tomorrow).

I felt kind of like the shoe-maker in the storybook. What a wonderful elf I've got living here ... think I'll keep him.

-Susanne

Oh, yes, you definitely have a keeper there. How sweet of him! Does this mean we will be seeing some eye-candy during this next week? (Shameless begging - it never hurts to ask!)

Susanne, how wonderful! Do you hire Ray out? LOL!!

I'm eager to see what you've created there . . . I can't wait for the pictures! Enjoy your week off!

Nice...what a great guy. A week off to play, I'm so jealous :banana:! Looking forward to more eye candy. You teased us with a few with Thelma.

I've posted a couple of new photos of the Toy Store in the gallery.

It's a different shade of green then the one I'd chosen. I'd put on 2 coats, and when Ray was doing some touch-ups he decided to put on another coat of green. Unfortunately, he didn't mix the paints that I'd chosen. He just painted it green. :thumb: Anyway, I decided I'd just leave it.

I spent a few hours today doing some landscaping around the Toy Store. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish up tomorrow. Then fill it up with mini toys.

-Susanne

It's so cute - the vibrant green is lots of fun, just what a Toy Store should be. The beautiful pine floors really stand out - I think the green is a perfect foil for the wood.

I'm hoping the the bountiful wild flowers that I'm planting all around the garden will "liven" it up. I envisioned a very bright toy store that would appeal to the child.

It's one of those times when I wish my dad hadn't taken such a knock on the head when he fell last summer. He was the most incredible artist. If he was able, I'd have taken the dollhouse to him to "paint" figures on the walls. But, sadly, he can't do this anymore. I remember as a little girl sitting at the table doing my homework, and my dad would sit next to me and "doodle". His doodles were fabulous works of art. At Halloween, neighbourhood kids would come to our house for dad to "paint them up" for trick or treating. My dad was a kid during WW2, and his sisters and their girlfriends would get him to paint stocking seams on the backs of their legs. Nylon stockings were rationed and very hard to come by. My dad used to have such a steady hand. He laughs when he thinks back and said he didn't charge them much, but he'd get a peek up their skirts. Hope this wasn't too naughty to post here.

I've started doing some small paintings myself on some mini lawn furniture. I might look to see if I can enroll in a course over at Michaels that might help me learn some tricks and techniques.

Thanks for the support everyone. I've just been missing my dad lately. He's still around (I'm going over Saturday morning to take them out), but he's not the same person since his accident last summer. Sometimes I look at him and want to yell out "who are you and what have you done with my dad?"

-Susanne

I'm so sorry to hear of your dad's accident, Suzanne. Head trauma can have devastating results - are the changes likely to be permanent? I hope you will get more of the old dad back - he sounds like a terrific guy. I think his artistic talent has been "inherited" by you. You are wonderfully creative, perhaps you will be able to share your painting with him, and forge a close connection with your "new" dad. :lol:

It looks wonderful Susanne! I love the tin roof and the green is so cheery and bright. It's the perfect toy store!

Thanks for the support everyone. I've just been missing my dad lately. He's still around (I'm going over Saturday morning to take them out), but he's not the same person since his accident last summer. Sometimes I look at him and want to yell out "who are you and what have you done with my dad?"

<wrapping arms around you in a huge hug> It's a very lonely feeling Susanne. I miss my dad too and grieve that the bright and vibrant man I loved so much has changed into a quiet and confused replica. When you're a daddy's girl, it's sure hard to accept that the big, strong man of our childhood isn't a giant anymore. But they never, ever stop being our hero.

Deb

love the toy store! the colors are juuuuust right.

i hope that your dad will improve little by little. it must be terribly hard to see him so changed.

am sending you mini hugs