Hello

Robine

I am very new here. My husband bought me The Harrison for Christmas. I am so excited to get started and yet a little scared I might mess it up. Any beginners tips would be so helpful.. Thanks.

Hi Robine, and :welcome: ! First tip, relax and have fun!! There are loads of beginner's tips throughout this forum. Each of us does things a little differently so you can look around and read what each of us has to say. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Everyone here is really friendly and helpful. Good luck and enjoy!!

:D

Carrie

Robin, welcome!

Don't worry about messing up. If you do something that you really don't like, there are a multitude of ways to fix or camouflage it, and somebody in this community will help you figure out what to to. :welcome:

Kathie, now quit that! You're taking words out of my mouth again, and that's just plain unsanitary!

a little scared I might mess it up.

Welcome to our "little" internet family, Robine. Being scared of messing up? Every time I start a kit or anything else. Let it stop me? NEVER!!! But I'll let you in on a little secret that works for me.

Open the kit and gently pet the wood and sniff it and get acquainted with it. Take out the instructions and read them over and have a few laughs. Take out the acetate window insert sheet and place it between two sheets of paper and set it somewhere nearby where it won't get scratched but you'll be able to find it when you need it.

Read the instructions again. Take out the schematic sheet and find all your parts. At this point you can take the little piece of sandpaper in the kit and pet your wood with it.

Now put it all back and read over the suggestions posted here. These will confuse you, because there are as many ways to build a kit as there are forum members. Some of items in every set of instructions I've read that I personally do NOT bother with are these: I do not seal with shellac & denatured alcohol. I do not have anything to do with denatured alcohol; this is almost as rough as ammonium hydroxide (lye, y'all!), and THAT's nasty stuff, too.

I will never, ever use hot glue to permanently assemble a kit; no, no, no.

I never work on windows, doors or trims until AFTER the shell is built, primed or stained, painted & papered. I do exterior trim with exterior treatments and I put the acetate inserts on the interior frames and do them after. Last I put on the door trim and hang the door, since I make my doors "working" doors.

I hope this helps. Oh, one other thing when you ask your questions. Nothing sets me off on my soapbox more than the term"stupid" (or "Dumb", etc) used with the work "question". There are NO stupid, dumb or ignorant questions.

Hi Robine, Welcome to the forum! There are a few people who are building the Harrison at the moment and I had done it a year ago so I'm sure if you have any questions, we'll all try very hard to answer them. Good luck and have fun!

hello, and welcome! :)

the forums here are fun, interesting, and full of all sorts of ideas and guidance from generous, talented people.

and the members gallery has photos of Harrison builds, which might be helpful to you.

that Harrison is a super house. i hope to build it one day.

have a great time with yours!

Hi and Welcome.

If this is your first house--try a dry fit--put the shell together with masking tape first to see if any of the tabs need a little trimming also it helps you see if there are any places that you might want to wallpaper first due to hard access later.

Hi and welcome!!!!!!!!!!

This is an AWESOME house! Very easy to put together! Don't be afraid to mess up...If you do, you can cover your mistakes with trim, wallpaper, flooring, stucco, etc!

This house is pretty straight forward to build! Have fun!

Hello and welcome to the forum! I know you will find a lot of help and hints and tips and.... (might even find yourself spending a loooot of time here LOL)

Looking forward seeing your The Harrison progress!

Mini-hugs