Need opinion on Rouen Walnut parquet floors

caitejay

I'm looking at buying this flooring for my Beacon Hill - and I know nothing about it except that it looks great in the picture! Does anyone know if this is easy to install, does it look good in real life? Also, I can't figure out if the pieces come pre-stained or if I have to stain them. Anyone know what the deal is with this kit? Thanks!

Well I have no idea on how they will work, just wanted to say that I like them a lot :whistle: Hopefully there might be someone who has some knowledge about using them.

Will be nice to see them in place if you decide to go for them and pout them in your house.

Mini-hugs

Seems to me they come pre-stained, except for the maple floors which you can stain yourself in your choice of color. You probably have to use varnish on them though if you want the look of polished floors.

I haven't assembled one myself, but I think it would go together like a puzzle. Hmm . . . I think I need this floor for my Willowcrest! :whistle:

I've been eyeing this on ebay express. http://item.express.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI....litemid=1883980 Don't know which will be cheaper for you but figured I would share the link. I haven't decided whether I want to use it or not, but also liked it. They have several options there as well.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Carrie

The way I'm reading the ad, none of the floors are pre-stained, but the cherry and walnut are real cherry and walnut, so they look cherry- and walnut-colored if you just put on a clear varnish. Then if you want a different stain color -- say, one of the blues or greens that you see at the hardware store sometimes -- only the maple is light enough to take the color accurately.

I haven't actually used the product, though.

I've decided to buy the flooring, I'm going to go for it. I'll let you all know how it turns out, if it's quality and easy to install. And I'll have pictures! Thanks for all your help - I'm new to this board as of today (just opened my dollhouse kit and inventoried everything last night), so hopepfully I'm not in over my head (yeah, right!)

hopepfully I'm not in over my head (yeah, right!)

Ah, go on! Why should it be any easier for you? I still get butterflies when opening, much less building a kit. I don't care, I gotta get that "fix"!

Welcome, Caite, we hope you'll share your building experience with lots of pictures.

I love the floors. The work of cutting then have been done all you need to do is glue them down.

Just remember to use a nonwater base glue, because the water tends to curl the wood.

Use a good clear sealer to seal it, light sanding and seal it again.

(check out my floors. They where done with a easy cutter)

Donna

Wow, those are some nice floors! Very detailed and intricate, I love them!!

Is yellow wood glue a good hardwood floor glue? I can't tell if it's water-based or not...

post-290-1167932653_thumb.jpg

The instructions I used was from a artical in a Dh miniature mag dated march 1998.

in the artical he told of using contact cement or other non water based glue such as Magna-tac 809.

I used a glue for real wood floors and did it on a mat board so I could remove the floor as needed.I also used something for a weight ie. big books and a brick to make sure that it stayed flat.

once the floor has dried and you use a finish on it it will never shift or come apart.

The yellow wood glue that you use to put the house together "dose" have water in it I would not use it on the floor wood. you will find that the the wood is very thin at least 1/16" thick and it will curl.

another suggestion he had when sanding was to push the saw dust in to the joints to help smooth out the spaces.then when it was finished it was smoother across the plain of the floor.

I know that you can get the floor kits either unfinished or stained and i think the stained wood comes in walnut, cherry and maple if im not mistaken.

I've seen the cherry kit in a dollhouse before, it's very pretty. I want to put a maple one in my Grosvenor Hall one of these years when i start working on it again.

I say go for it!

I've decided to buy the flooring, I'm going to go for it. I'll let you all know how it turns out, if it's quality and easy to install. And I'll have pictures! Thanks for all your help - I'm new to this board as of today (just opened my dollhouse kit and inventoried everything last night), so hopepfully I'm not in over my head (yeah, right!)

Caite, if you haven't ordered already, DeJoux Miniatures has it for 20% off ...

http://www.dejouxminiatures.com Sale code # LC826SH

Okay, I couldn't resist . . . I ordered the walnut medallion and flooring for the studio in my Willowcrest. I haven't done anything this extravagant (well, except for the conservatory) so I hope it turns out! :lol:

Okay, I couldn't resist . . . I ordered the walnut medallion and flooring for the studio in my Willowcrest. I haven't done anything this extravagant (well, except for the conservatory) so I hope it turns out! :lol:

Teresa you do beautiful work, so I have no doubt you will WOW us with your floor.

I personally think a dollhouse is the perfect place to be extravagant - I'm going to decorate mine in ways my husband would never agree to in our real home!

I personally think a dollhouse is the perfect place to be extravagant - I'm going to decorate mine in ways my husband would never agree to in our real home!

Great idea. That's what I love about mini's. It's why I started doing mini bonsai lol. I couldn't at that time keep real ones alive and I sure can't afford to buy a lot of them. In mini I could enjoy a bunch of them with out expense or worrying about killing them. :D

Kat

Okay, I couldn't resist . . . I ordered the walnut medallion and flooring for the studio in my Willowcrest. I haven't done anything this extravagant (well, except for the conservatory) so I hope it turns out! :D

I ordered the cherry one for my Brookwood. I had been eyeing it for awhile and decided to go ahead since I was placing the order. We'll see how they both come out.