DIET RESOLUTION TIME

SuzyQ

Hi there my fellow dieters. :banana:

I am starting this new thread like I promised. (The old one is so long and so last year :( )

It is 1:37am January 1, 2007. Time for me to get back with the program. I hope I won't be alone with in my endeaver. :ohyeah:

I have eaten so much the past couple of months I am about to blow. So I am more than ready to get back to business.

I haven't weighed yet. I am scared to get on the scale. I would say I have around 35 to 40 pounds to lose. I may get brave and weigh on Friday. That will give me a few days to get to feeling better about myself.

Keep In Touch. :banana::D

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I made up a new recipe for my birthday & now I'm working on a lower-fat version. DH & I are on a really restrictive medical diet for life & in order to stay compliant I'm constantly having to invent palatable ways to stay on it! As well as eating enough to maintain metabolism (we have a lifelong habit of not eating lunch I've been trying to break us of), especially when we have "heavy" exercise days. So I really appreciate the moral support we give each other.

I am starting a new plan this new year too!

Of course that isn't starting today cause I had french toast for breakfest.

I sooooooo hope that I can stick with it. I have to get a plan that can

work my crazy work schedule.

I started on my diet On Dec. 11. I had a gastric by pass. Thats why i haven't been around. just don't feel like being on the computer.

I have been having some problems keeping at least 1 meal a day down. Named mycommode Fred, since we spend so much time together I figured i should have a name to call it by. more personal.

in 17 days i lost 23 1/2 lbs. and believe me its not like everyone thinks.

I didn't take the easy way out. I took the only way out. and besides there is nothing easy about sugery and being allergic to the good pain meds.

pain, nausea, pukin up my meal of 2 tablespoons of food. hurting when i drink,

I am one of the lucky i can say is. I have not been hungry since surgery. have to make myself eat.

So count me in. matter of fact i have been putting off exercising this morning, so now i am getting off and doing that now before i do anything out. Thanks for the motivation.

soprok

Debbie, eat the things you can keep down. How about Ensure (in small sips)? You don't need malnutrition, sweetie! and exercise is a whole lot easier if there's a calorie or two to burn.

Gastric bypass takes a lot of inner strength to go through and a lot of character to make the lifestyle changes that must follow it, and I applaud all of you brave souls who go through it to restore your health.

Good to se you back!

Debbie, I don't think that Gastric Bypass is an easy way out. It's a major surgery and a huge life changing event. Good luck to you and hopefully your problems will subside soon.

I am starting back on weight watchers next week (payday brings more money to buy better food). I am feeling very heavy and yuck at the moment! I also want to prevent health problems. My diet is atrocious as it is right now. I need some positive change.

Good luck everyone!

It doesn't help where you work, Marg. I never understood why a hospital cafeteria couldn't offer healthier foods cooked in healthier ways!

I agree on the hospital cafeterias! When I worked in the hospital we used to eat greasy burgers and fries

I work at a dialysis center, i bring my lunch and breakfast in, convenience foods most of the time, certainly not healthy. Then at home ....well i hate to cook...so you can imagine what i eat. junk food is so much cheaper to buy and the more money i save there, the more i can spend on minis. time to turn that around.

I'm in on a diet and even more on getting exercise. I think I'm going to join the gym at the Y this week. I need to get in better shape and lose some weight (10-20 pounds). My old doctor said I should do it soon before we try to have kids since it will be harder later.

Good luck to everyone with their goals.

I was really bored last night (in bed with cold) and re-watched the movie "Super Size Me".

It got me thinking about how badly the McDs diet screwed up his health. We are not avid eaters of that kind of take out food (the taste makes me ill) but I thought about how much my whole family`s diet is not working.

I dont want to make a lose weight resolution cause I dont want to be doomed to fail. But it made me think that I have to get more pro-active in my family`s health (eating included).

So I guess I am back on the band wagon.

I will be the first to weigh in..........222lbs.

I need to really be concience (bad sp) of what I purchase and serve. I have to think about dinner tonite. I have eggplant,spinach,yellow squash, mushrooms,and brocolli in the crisper. I think I want to make chicken for dinner tonight.

I also have to make sure everyone eats breakfast. Me included.

Hello Everyone,

I am glad to see that I will have some company on here.

Debbie hopefully things will settle a bit with your surgery. And you will start to feel better soon.

Ask your doctor about taking the vitamin Bioten. You will probably lose some hair with such a rapid wieght loss and this is really good for that, My moms dr told her to take it. It is less than $2.00 at Wal-Mart. It comes in a 1,000mil pill. I take it too cause mine was coming out quite a bit over the spring when I lost my weight. Same with my sister. Our hair has quit coming out now. And mine has come back in.

Today I have done good so far. Just a bowl of Cherrios and a peice of toast.

Heidii you are so brave to be the first to weigh in. I will let you all know when I get th nerve. lOL

Good luck everyone.

Count me in, too, friends! Don't have a lot to lose -- just the post-menopausal pounds that I've never been able to drop -- at last count, been carrying these darn pounds for 10 years :banana:

I'm resolving to get back on the stair climber & treadmill which are gathering dust at the moment and improve my eating habits. Personally would rather have bread and chocolate than salad :banana:

Maybe I'll start up my Tae-Kwon-Doh workouts again. Has anybody tried the Taebo workouts? Of course with the shape I'm in, I probably should start with Richard Simmons instead :D

Good luck to all -- hopefully, all together we can shed some tonnage :ohyeah:

Well add me onto this list!!! I also need to lose big time. My medical problems (severe asthma and immunosuppression) have led me to the fatty that I am now. Heavy use of steroids to ease my respiratory probs and more self imposed hibernation of sorts to prevent getting colds etc from the general public

(which in turn leads to more life threatening respiratory events) have combined to cause me a severe weight problem.

I watched a show on Oprah a month or so back on Dr Oz....the show really made sense to my medical brain. I have since gone out and got his book You on a Diet....I had hoped to have it finished by now but have been so busy with the hollidays, now is time to read it. Has anyone else and what do you think of it?

We all know (or should) that lifestyle changes not a regimented diet is what works long term. The book has many reccommendations and hopefully we will all share our tips of the trade :banana: Not everything that works for one will work for all of us so we need a good selection.

I will weigh in today. I have an idea of where I will come in..I hope that there are no unpleasant surprises there....but the book does say not to focus so much on actual weight but more on waist size. Inches lost is actually better than pounds lost as muscle developed actually weighs more but is more healthy :banana: Perhaps as we all post our weights we should also post a few measurements as well so that we can see all sides of our progress!!! :ohyeah:

JACK'SGURL

Ok, I'm on the bandwagon too (as is Eric actually LOL) I'll weigh in at 162 (at barely 5 feet with really tiny bones) and I'm debating how much I should be losing. I feel that I was at my healthiest and most confident at 100 pounds, but that was also in my early twenties, so my family and friends think that might be too much. I figure I'll shoot for 120 and see how I feel then, and the plan is to get my butt back into a gym routine...I was doing good, but then I switched gyms and kinda lost my motivation, but my best friend has promised to kick my butt more to get me to go

Also, Eric and I plan to work on our portion sizes. I think that really it's not *what* we eat, but how *much* we eat...We don't eat a lot of crap, and I think our worst junk food habit is pretzels or chips and salsa, so things aren't too bad there. We've been looking at the Nutrisystem program to help us get a better visual idea of portion sizes...has anyone else here tried that program? Would be interested in some feedback.

And to Debbie....I totally agree that you have NOT taken the easy way out...gastric bypass is a major and life-changing surgery. I hope that you are able to take care of yourself and that you feel better soon. We're all rooting for you

*puts a hand out to everyone* ok let's get a *healthy weight loss* on three....one....two....three!

Thanks everyone.

Susy Q. i do take Biotin. i belong to a group that is for gastric by passes. and i learned a lot to do and not do from them. lol

as for eating things i can, well one day i eat someting no problem, the next time i eat, wam. just how the new tummy is till it desides to behave i guess.

You all are so good at thinking about gbp surgery. i belong to a tops group and have for about 10 years only thing i did was gain 73 lbs. lol and now that i have had real good loses the last couple of weeks some of them say oh ya you had that thing done. they figure i lose fast its easy. they don't understand everything involved with having it done. thanks agian

I will keep you updated on my progress. Debbie

Well add me onto this list!!! I also need to lose big time. My medical problems (severe asthma and immunosuppression) have led me to the fatty that I am now. Heavy use of steroids to ease my respiratory probs and more self imposed hibernation of sorts to prevent getting colds etc from the general public

(which in turn leads to more life threatening respiratory events) have combined to cause me a severe weight problem.

That sounds like my dad. A lot of his weight is due taking steroids after getting bronchitis. He has asthma, and lost half a lung years ago due to throwing blood clots after having heart surgery. He takes oxygen when he needs it, but colds get him hard. The steroids just pack on the weight. Of course, he went to the doctor a few weeks ago and lost 15 lbs. Now this isn't big news until you hear that this was after he ate 3 pies and 2 nutrolls at Thanksgiving. And he still lost weight. He was on the scale the other day and he lost a few more pounds. If I ate that I'd be as big as a house.

My resolution is to cut down on the pop. Most of my extra weight is Pepsi. I'm addicted to the stuff. I'm going to ween myself off of it, gradually. I can't do cold turkey because its one of my migraine triggers, but hopefully I'll be off of it completely by Spring.

My goal weight is 125-130. I really loved being that weight after high school. I'm only 5'2", medium boned, but I'm a bit curvy on top so unless I get some things reduced, I'm not going to ever be super thin. I just wish those parts would decrease a lot in size if I lose weight. I know my back would feel better.

Whoo hoo go suzy! Kick our butts in gear! Well starting tomorrow I am going to get myself back on track. I'm not sure if im going to do my 1200 cal a day diet or try a new one. I will think about it and plan it out today. I have about 20 pounds i would like to lose this year.

This is going to be a good year!

My resolution is to cut down on the pop. Most of my extra weight is Pepsi. I'm addicted to the stuff. I'm going to ween myself off of it, gradually. I can't do cold turkey because its one of my migraine triggers, but hopefully I'll be off of it completely by Spring.

Is it the caffeine that helps with the migraines? I don't know if it would help you, but I had the same problem (although I'm a Coke girl), and I gradually transitioned myself to diet Coke instead....I cut down to one of those a day, and just that little switch made a huge difference for me. There really is nothing worse than migraine triggers, especially when it's something you want to stop doing! Good luck though.

I am loving all of this company I am going to have. It will make things a lot easier to have people to talk to. So far so good today. We will see how I do as evening approaches.

I just got back from eating out at Fudruckers. I behaved myself. I had lemon pepper salmon, baked spud,salad & bread. I left a little of everything. Hopefully I can get through this evening without a mishap.

Okay, count me in too - I think I'm finally ready to give losing weight a try again and heaven knows I could use all the moral support & can get :)

I read the last two diet threads from beginning to end a few times - and planned to join in both times - but always backed out of the thread before posting 'cause I haven't had much success with changing my eating habits the last few years and didn't want to depress myself by failing again.

I sailed my way through my twenties & half my thirties tipping the scales at 200 lbs and wore a size 16. Around my mid to late thirties something just clicked & I was able to maintain the willpower needed to lose the excess weight. By my late thirties I was down to a size four and I maintained that weight for two years.

Then I got comfortable & fell into my old eating habits & here I am up to 169 pounds again (just weighed myself). I've tried off & on for the last two years to lose the weight - but keep slipping up. Just can't seem to find the motivation & willpower to be successful at it this time around - and nowadays it sure seems hard to lose anything at all!

Does the weight come off more slowly the older you get? Just a few years ago the weight seemed to drop off with half the effort :thumb:

Anyhow - here I am :) Ready to lose 45 pounds!