Greenleaf Quality

mickey28

I just got my first dollhouse a Greenleaf Garfield. I think it is going to be fantastic, based on what I have seen of others . Here is the reason I am asking this question. My husband and I went to a dollhouse store in Montgomery, Alabama to start to get some decorating ideas. We walked in and I told the owner I had just recieved my first dollhouse as a present and I just wanted to look around. She asked me what brand it was and I told her a Greenleaf, well you would of thought I had just spit in her face! She went into a tirade about how sorry Greenleaf was and if I could send it back I should. She said it was poor quality and I would probably never finish it. She suggested a brand she sold I think it was real good toys although that may not be right. I have no intention of sending it back, but as a newbie I would really appreciate some comments about this. Thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would personally say she was hoping to sell you one of her dollhouse kits instead. I have loved the Greenleaf and Corona kits I have done. I have never done a Real Good Toys Kit. They are more expensive and I have been happy with the cheaper brands. This is my opinion. I'm guessing on here though we are all going to tell you we like Greenleaf and thus why we are here.

I agree. I've built 3 greenleaf houses and I am working on a Dura Craft and I don't much care for it. The Greenleaf houses are more sturdy and don't feel so flimsy as the Dura Craft.

She probably was trying to get you to buy one of her kits.

I've got a Real Good Toys kit waiting in the wings so I will see how that goes in time.

Everyone has their own opinion, but the experts are here lol

Good luck with the Garfield!!

I started with a greenleaf Victorianna

than a greenleaf Willowcrest

Duracraft Newberg---PFFFT I hated that house. it is beautiful when done. but it has issues

I am working on(not Much) a Marquam Hill Mansion...great house when done but not my favorite to build.

Greenleaf might offer less expensive kits.... but when finished...I prefer them over all other houses! I like the tab and slot /diecut houses. and Greenleaf gives more house and features for the bucks.

sounds like someone wanting to sell a more expensive kit. I hope you chose to spend your money elsewhere. where all types of house and builder are welcome!

nutti :lol:

Welcome to the forum Bonnie, and congratulations on getting a Garfield! It's a gorgeous house and you'll love every minute of building it. There are a lot of Garfeild builders here, so if you haven't looked thru the galleries yet, be sure you do. There are some simply breath taking examples of that house to see.

IMO, the owner of that store didn't make any money from you buying a kit somewhere else, but she would if you returned it and bought a kit from her. Personally, I'd have some doubts about the business ethics and professionalism of someone who would make remarks like that about a company, regardless of which manufacturer she's bashing.

I'm loyal to Greenleaf because I love their houses and their quality, not vice versa. The kits are made of quality wood and the engineering is excellent. These houses are made to be loved and to last for generations. I build and sell them and I can honestly say that I stake my business reputation on Greenleaf quality.

Deb

Every dollhouse shop I have been to carries only the RGT (real good toys) houses. They are supposed to be the high quality stuff. Mdf is a pain to work with. They do have plywood kits, but they cost more. Greenleaf houses have been around for a long time for good reason. While I have had some problems with splintering, it is easily fixable. You get a huge variety to choose from, a lot of house for the money and the option of using upgrades. They are simple to bash (change). I find them to be very sturdy. We recently had a couple of stories of houses being dropped and not breaking. I bet the RGT would shatter. Greenleaf has the finest customer service ever. Keep your house. I found my local store to be overpriced also. I saw the same stuff at hobby lobby for half of what their prices were. And an RGT house I was looking at was double ($350) more than it was online. Stick with us. We won't steer you wrong.

I agree with everyone, the store owner just wanted to sell you one of her kits. I would not call Greenleaf kits a "Cheaper" house but a less expensive house when you consider the fact that you get MORE house for your dollars.

Real Good Toys Houses are nice but to me they are all boxes (Square shaped unlike most real houses) . There trim pieces are not as ornate and decorative as the Greenleaf line. Does thick means these houses are better? I think not. Also, you get shingles, Doors, windows & stairs with the greenleaf kits and as an OPTION you can upgrade. Some of the Real Good Toys houses don't come with these parts and you have to buy these things seperately depending on the dollhouse series you get.

I used to do work for a shop that did not carry Greenleaf houses because she did not want to put them together for her customers. In the end, she hired me and 2 other people to put them together because it was what the customers gravitated to because they are simply beautiful (Yeah, customers opinion won :D ) !

Real Good Toys houses are much more bulkier to build and weigh a lot and they seem to not have the charecter that Greenleaf kits have. I have built 3 RGT kits and always can't wait to do the next Greenleaf house because I love details and that is what you get in every greenleaf kit box. I loved 2 of the 3 that I built but I must say I like the different things you can do with a Greenleaf kit which are not an option with real good toy houses unless you have power tools :lol: .

Welcome to the forum and know that if you need assistance, we are here to help you! I have 2 daughters under 10 years old ( 9 & 5 ) and they abuse there Greenleaf houses :D and there houses has not fallen apart (Though the youngest has managed to break a couple of shingles off the roof :p )

The youngest has painted her house 3 times and my older daughter HAS to paint hers soon beacause the youngest has used some Crayons on her big sisters house :lol:

Don't let anyone rain on your parade! :)

Real Good Toys kits are made of 1/2" plywood and I think they are very proud of that fact. I built the Bellingham Farmhouse by RGT and it was nice and sturdy but, because of the thick wood, if a piece doesn't fit, it REALLY doesn't fit. I had to use nails all over the place to make sure walls and roof pieces stayed where they were supposed to go. And they REALLY didn't want to go where they were supposed to go! And the final dollhouse is very heavy.

I've built several Dura Craft in the last six months and have decided to stay away from them as much as possible! The only one I've built that I liked was the Newberg (sorry nutti!).

I've built several Greenleaf dollhouses and there seem to be less problems with them overall. Things fit where they are supposed to and the directions are well written.

I'm sure everyone has their own opinions; but I think if you are a store owner, you have to realize that there are all sorts of builders out there and one kind of kit may work for one person and not another; you almost have to be totally open minded when you run a shop...in my lowly opinion, anyway. :lol:

You have purchased the cream of the crop with the Garfield so have a lot of fun! It is quite an adventure and, like Deb said, there are lots of Garfield builders on this forum and pictures galore in the galleries to give you inspiration and building tips. If you have any questions, just ask and it will be answered, lickety split!

I just got my first dollhouse a Greenleaf Garfield. I think it is going to be fantastic, based on what I have seen of others . Here is the reason I am asking this question. My husband and I went to a dollhouse store in Montgomery, Alabama to start to get some decorating ideas. We walked in and I told the owner I had just recieved my first dollhouse as a present and I just wanted to look around. She asked me what brand it was and I told her a Greenleaf, well you would of thought I had just spit in her face! She went into a tirade about how sorry Greenleaf was and if I could send it back I should. She said it was poor quality and I would probably never finish it. She suggested a brand she sold I think it was real good toys although that may not be right. I have no intention of sending it back, but as a newbie I would really appreciate some comments about this. Thanks

I didn't read thw whole thread but...

I went to my local DH store before I got my primrose and, it's funny, because the lady there told me the same thing. That Greenleaf houses were poor quality and they would break so easily. She instead recommended a Real Good Toys DH that was 3/8'' plywood.

You know what though? Its so not true!!! :lol: I love the quality. It never broke or anything. I like them because it suits my needs. There thin and simple. I don't have the room for a large DH from RGT.

One of the reasons I avoid my local mini store is that she is not at all supportive of any brand but her in-store brand. It's a shame, but more for her than me!

Over the years I have built an Arthur, a Buttercup (Corona) and a Tennyson for younger family members, and for myself I have built the Glencroft, the Fairfield and coming soon, the Beacon Hill :lol: . The only non-Greenleaf house I've built is called the Georgie. I don't remember who made it; it is cute, but lacks the character of a Greenleaf house.

All of these houses were fun and a pleasure to build. Fundamentally all dollhouses are wooden boxes. For me the care and detail that Greenleaf puts into the houses makes them 100% better value than some plain box that happens to be made of slightly thicker mdf or ply but doesn't have any charm or character.

I love Greenleaf houses, and my only regret (and a very selfish one!) is that I gave away those early houses. One day, when I have $$, I'll make a point of amassing a huge collection of each one! :lol:

I agree with all of the comments made. My first kit was the Beacon Hill from Greenleaf. I LOVE it!!! I found it was easy to put together. I had a lot of fun doing it too. There are more things to put together, it gives you a feeling of really building a house. I helped my little sister build her Real Good Toys house. We put it together in one night. It took me months to build the Beacon, I personally like that more. The RGT house was very thick and hard to wire for lights. I hated using nails. I am better with glue than a hammer. As an adult I perfer the more decorative delicacy of the Greenleaf houses over the sturdy(bulky) RGTs houses anyday. Also, more money doesn't always mean better product. I would pay just as much for my Greenleaf houses, I am just happy I don't have to :lol: Good luck with your house!!!!

I pretty much agree with everything that's been said already. I've built four Greenleaf dollhouses and have enjoyed each and every one. I love the tab and slot construction and working with the plywood pieces is easy and fun (well, okay so the 'White Orchid' wasn't wood!). I like the thinner wood because to me that translates into bigger rooms and it's much easier to maneuvre around in compared to MDF.

The greatest advantage to working with Greenleaf products? Why this fantastic miniature community of course!! :lol: If you've got a question you can rest assured that it will be answered in no time flat. There's lots of experience and inspiration to draw on here.

Welcome Bonnie and be sure to share pictures of your progress with us!! We're here to cheer you on!! :lol:

I agree with whats being said here on this thread. I cant believe someone would say something like that. They obviously #1 wanted to sell you one of there kits, and #2 obviously dont know there dollhouse miniatures very well, because greenleaf is the best! :lol:

Welcome to the forums, you will find that everyone here is very friendly, kind and have lots of cool stuff they can share with you. I have built the garfield, in fact it was my first house and i loved it. if you look at the bottom of my post here you will see my webshots link if you go to that i have over 200 pics of step by step pics of how i built my garfield. There are quite a few people here that have or are still building that beauitful house. If you ever have any questions feel free to send me a PM or ask me a question :lol:

best of luck to you!!

We're here to cheer you on!! :w00t:

:lol: :D:):p:D

WOOT WOOT

Happy Building I dont care what house you build! every dollhouse has its charm. My daughter LOVES her MHM...it would not have been my first choice. dollhouses tend to speak very loudly to those who will listen and if the Garfield called to you...well it happens. and I like the MHM enough to buy it. so there you are.

we are so not bashing other products in our enthusiasm for Greenleaf!!! :lol:

I have seen some GORGEOUS house that were not greenleaf. and some of them are right here on our forum!! :yikes: Im so sorry we are so quick to defend our babies! :wub:

nutti :w00t:

Im so sorry we are so quick to defend our babies! :D

yes our babies... "my precious, nobody touches my precious!!" (lord of the rings) sorry its on tv right now.. :lol: lol :lol:

I'm working on my first dollhouse at the moment and I will admit I have had some wood problems (falling apart and breaking easily) and sometimes felt like throwing it out the window but then I discover wood filler which saved a lot of pieces. I must say that Greenleaf does make it easy for people on tight budgets to get into this hobby. It may take more time to build a Greenleaf house but who wants to spend hundreds on one house that may be made out of a higher quality wood when you could buy a couple of Greenleaf houses for the price of one of the other ones that just take more sanding and TLC to complete. Your kit may be overwhelming at first but don't give in because once you play around with the kit a little you will discover that there are ways to make the pieces look great. Although I am not finished with mine yet but getting there, I have had fun building the kit and know I will be proud to show it off. You can't beat the prices and they have a lot of potential. They aren't really that hard to put together it just takes a little more time to make the pieces look good but it can be done, just experiment and you will find your own helpful techniques.

I have built real good toys, dura craft and greenleaf and corona. I love my Country victorian ( RTG) but I would never buy one now because it is made of mdf now. ( mine was the earlier model that is ply) The dura craft was okay but I did not like that a lot of times they do not have doors just openings. Well I just won't talk about mdf. Lets just say it CAN"T take a fall.

I love greenleaf because the houses have so much detail. They take a little more time and effort but the end result just can't be beat.

Most of all you need to pick a house you love because if you don't love it, no matter who makes it, it is not going to be fun to do.

I've only built one dollhouse, the Garfield. I bought the kit on-line (from Overstock.com) not knowing anything about dollhouses. And started building it, and fell in love. It did take me a long time to build it (it'll be 2 years this February!) but I didn't work on it full-time, and there were long periods where it didn't get worked on at all.

One of the things I like BEST about Greenleaf is their customer service, and this on-line community, both full of people who are so helpful and supportive, and willing to talk you through even the smallest projects. Even though I hadn't bought my house directly from them, they never even asked -- just answered my questions, helped me with several bumps along the way, and even sent me a replacement sheet for one that wasn't laminated well -- at no cost to me. You can be assured they have my loyalty!

I'm not real handy with power tools. For that matter, not handy with hand tools, either :lol: so find the material that the Garfield is made from to suit me just fine...I can cut it and trim it with a sharp box cutter, and don't have to worry about saws and nails and all that.

I'd consider the Greenleaf line "affordable", not "cheap", and as some of the folks here have demonstrated, Greenleaf houses are beautiful when completed well.

As for weight -- I'm here to tell you the Garfield, when finished, is VERY heavy. And very sturdy.

Like the others said, she was trying to sell you her product line, rather than help with what you had. I hope you can find other dollhouse stores to shop in!

Hi Bonnie,

I've not much to add to this other than to say I have only built Greenleaf dollhouses and have no desire to try any other. I'm so pleased with the quality of their kits. Even coming upon kits that are old and outdated and you think nothing can ever come of it, can be transformed into a beautiful house with a little ingenuity, patience and wood filler.

Next year, Greenleaf is celebrating it's 60th year in business and I think that says it all.

The Garfield is a beautiful dollhouse. You're going to be so proud when it's finished. Enjoy it!

Welcome to the forum!

Bonnie, I didn't know there was a DH shop in Montgomery, I guess next time we're traveling in AL I'll have to check it out. The one that used to be in Foley closed down before we got back the next year! :lol:

My first two kit builds were all-wood Dura-Craft San Franciscan and Cambridge ( I used Houseworks interior doors in it) and I have a Newburg kit patiently waiting on me. When we were in VT two years ago I got DH to take me to Barre to check out the RGT "factory" (there's a warehouse, the secretaries very sweetly offered sheets listing all their retail dealers, none of the ones in VT were up-to-date, the two we tried to find in the immediate area had gone out of business), so as far as I know the only kits made where they say they are in the US are Tom's Mill (Earth & Tree in Amherst, NH) & Greenleaf.

I can't apologize for the pro-Greenleaf attitude a lot of us show because we've all built Greenleaf & Corona Concepts kits and are tremendously pleased with the results. I'm sure that folks who have bad experiences building their kits or who are displeased with the results go join other forums.

Your Garfield can be all that you imagine, and you can take as long as you wish to make it so; I think one of our members started hers in the 1980s.

Hi, when i first got into building dollhouses i felt that 3/8 inch plywood was the best way to go. I really love working with that wood. Once i started building the 1/8 inch plywood houses, i actually fell in love with the kits...doesn't matter who the manufacturer is...but i do love Greenleaf and Corona houses. They are the most visually pleasing/pretty houses out there. Good quality and good pricing as well. I haven't been disappointed yet.

Each of the dollhouse companies has kits with their own qualities that i like. I love dollhouses period! I'll build them all!

I have almost 80 dollhouse kits now, most of which are 1/8 plywood. I'll keep buying them too!

If i felt that the 1/8 plywood houses were not good quality, i wouldn't buy them. I really like these kits because they are charming, beautiful and have a look about them that i just love. I love how easy they are to put together, how easy they are to modify and how light weight they are to move about...i move them about alot when i'm building. They are very study too as you are putting them together.

So :lol: to the grumpy lady at the store...she doesn't have to build them...just leaves more for the rest of us. We'll all do our part to support our Greenleaf!

Bonnie, yeah she wanted you to spend your money with her..

I am making a cardboard dollhouse. From a cardboard packing box. I just finished the roof and that thing feels like Fort Knox!

Now if I can say that about cardboard...any brand, any style, any condition of dh is great to me!