Fun with Discards

Blondie

I've been keeping the discard pieces from the BH to make things with someday. Tonight I was looking at a window cut-out and decided I felt like sawing something with the miter. So I made this little shelf to hang on the wall and put doodads or books in. Yeah for discards!

What kinds of things do you guys make with these pieces?

post-1461-1165895021_thumb.jpg

It seems you're in good company! If you look up in the top right hand corner, you'll see a bunch of strip out Beacon Hill sheets hanging from the wall!

sc1-2.jpg

"The Santa Clause" 1994

(Left to Right) The Pierce and The Beacon Hill (Bashed)

I used the frames from the white orchid to cut trim strips to hide the floor tabs and trim the floor edges. I am making a dog house with them also. I also used scraps to make a landing because I changed the staircase in the log cabin to an L instead of straight. And also in the cabin, I used scraps to make a bigger fireplace with a hearth. I have a box of parts and pieces. You never know when you might need just a little piece...

The shelves are very cute.

I've got all kinds of bits and pieces left. I made the shelves in the Orchid's sewing room from some, and the cabinet doors in the false wall in that room. I have a LOT of wood left from the travel trailer. I love having the scrap to mess around with and plan to make many more pieces of furniture and architectural details.

Like everyone else, I've made all kinds of furniture, shelves, etc from the scraps of my kits. It's great fun, I think. I save every little piece of wood, because you never know when you'll need it.

I used bay window punchouts from the Coventry Cottage kit to make the bedside table and I used some of the other scraps to make the icebox. I used one of the cutouts from the Buttercup's round windows to make the top for the table on the screen porch. I think I used some others to make the footstool to match the armchairs.

I used the toiletseat-shaped porch punchouts from the Haunted House to make a bathroom mirror for the McKinley. I used the smaller punchout to make a pattern for the toilet seat for the Grand Dolphin toilet I made for the McKinley.

That's all I can recall at the moment.

I save all the punch outs and cool shaped pieces from every kit. (I've got two drawers full and am starting to fill a third) The teeny bits of roof trim from the Lily combined with a strip of wood make an excellent plate shelf. The porch from the Coventry got turned into a gazebo. I've made bookcases and tables and picture frames and other kinds of wall shelves from the scraps. I also use scraps for trim and sometimes substitute the gingerbread on one house for another. I've turned roof trim upside down and used it for trim on the side of a house and made door medallions out of finials. I have a collection of interior walls that I've saved from various kits too. For some reason, I always have leftover pieces from every house I build. I usually end up looking in the box after I'm done and saying, "Gee, I hope none of that was important". One of my mini-goals is to someday use all the bits and pieces to make a "Frankenstien" house of leftover parts.

Carol makes really cool privacy bedroom screens from the pieces that have parts punched out of them. She puts fabric or a print into the center and hinges three or five of them together. I think she's been saving some really cool shaped pieces for an art deco fireplace and some other deco furniture.

Now I'm gonna go find "The Santa Clause" on cable. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I have this overwhelming urge to watch that movie. <cackle> Cool reader board Dean! Not only does Santa prefer Greenleaf houses, but 9 out of 10 elves say they'd rather build a Greenleaf than any other house. The 10th elf voted for Corona Concepts because he's partial to the travel trailer.

Deb

I knew I wouldn't be the only one who keeps all these bits & pieces ;) I keep looking at the middles of the dormer & gable window trims - I know I can do something with them, but the idea is just not hatched yet. I'll sit on it a while longer.

Jackie

door medallions out of finials
I used stairrail punchouts to decorate the Orchid's front door panels. I don't save ALL of the odd bits & pieces, but I do hang onto quite a few. Melissa used one of the Coventry Cottage punchouts to make a cheval mirror, didn't she?

Dean, that ticker is da bomb!

LOVE it!!!

One of my mini-goals is to someday use all the bits and pieces to make a "Frankenstien" house of leftover parts.

That is such a clever idea! I would LOVE to see that.

OK, now my little shelf thing seems kind of silly because you all have made so many incredible things, but I'll get there one day. ;)

OK, now my little shelf thing seems kind of silly because you all have made so many incredible things, but I'll get there one day.

Silly? Not at all!! You are becoming one with the dollhouse ... and that's not at all silly!

my little shelf thing seems kind of silly

Why? Do you think we all started out making ALL this stuff? My first use of scrapwood was the strips from the sides of the sheets to use as trim to cover a very sloppy wallpapering job.

(mounting soapbox) Miniaturists become miniaturists by starting small and then staying there!

I've been keeping the discard pieces from the BH to make things with someday. Tonight I was looking at a window cut-out and decided I felt like sawing something with the miter. So I made this little shelf to hang on the wall and put doodads or books in. Yeah for discards!

I forgot to add...that's a really cute shelf! What I did with a few of the discards was this:

med_gallery_490_551_86598.jpg

Ouchouch, you made that whole staircase out of spare parts?? Hahahahahaha. I crack myself up. But seriously, the wall stuff? Wainscotting? Is that the right word...?

Missymew--I'm glad you liked my idea!

OK, enough of my low self-esteem. I am a good miniaturist! YEAH!

Great little shelf, I'm always making things out of the leftovers, so much is there for tables and since my kit had an extra 3 sheets but minus 2, I've enjoyed it all. I love the shelf may have to go search through my scraps again, lol.