Christmas Fairfield House build progress

Muriel

Thrift stores are a terrific source for old silk neckties, which also have lovely small patterns suitable for curtains or upholstery.  I was pleasantly surprised to find one of the polyester necktie patterns was small enough for my Knowle settee.

1 hour ago, Thimble Hall said:

I am lucky to live close to an area that has a lot of Oriental and East Indian foks in so some of their cast offs turn up in the Thrift shops and some are incredible. The trims are very useful too I find some patterned silks there that have very tiny patterns on them.

I hadn't thought of Oriental silk clothing, they definitely have some pretty little patterns sometimes. 

3 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Thrift stores are a terrific source for old silk neckties, which also have lovely small patterns suitable for curtains or upholstery.  I was pleasantly surprised to find one of the polyester necktie patterns was small enough for my Knowle settee.

Neck ties, yes, perfect for my sofa! Good thinking. 

Muriel.I just dug all my windows out too. I got the Houseworks Victorian 5042 which was an optional upgrade when I bought the  first Fairfield. I intended to start painting them tonight but life got in the way. Each one of the bags they came in are full, of bits of trim etc ,then x 11 or 12 it is a lot of painting..

3 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

Muriel.I just dug all my windows out too. I got the Houseworks Victorian 5042 which was an optional upgrade when I bought the  first Fairfield. I intended to start painting them tonight but life got in the way. Each one of the bags they came in are full, of bits of trim etc ,then x 11 or 12 it is a lot of painting..

I got spray paint for the outside trim. Still debating what colour the inside will be, might depend on the room. Hoping today will be dry! 

4 minutes ago, Thimble Hall said:

I can't figure out what all the little bits of trim are, it is obvious with the fancy ones but the 6 thin sticks..shims maybe

They are for making individual panes.....They should be called pains!

1 minute ago, Mid-life madness said:

I thought about that just briefly  but figured they would be different lengths, thank you so much, I was going slightly gaga here trying to work it out..bless your heart for your patiemce. The windows I have used in the past didn't have these. Give yourself a gold star for being kind and patient.

Todqy my SIL is picking up a delivery from the PO for me and I know it is the new Fairfield....dry fitting tonight no, not painting windows.

If you can stand another question. Looking at Fairfield houses I noticed one that seemed to have a higher base than the others,and it looked good. Do you by chance know whose it was please.

1 hour ago, Thimble Hall said:

If you can stand another question. Looking at Fairfield houses I noticed one that seemed to have a higher base than the others,and it looked good. Do you by chance know whose it was please.

Are you thinking of my Fairfield?  I added height so my electricals could fit under the house better.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Call Me Crazy said:

Are you thinking of my Fairfield?  I added height so my electricals could fit under the house better.  

Yes that is right, I will go and check the blog..thank you again  XX Jeannine

2 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

I thought about that just briefly  but figured they would be different lengths, thank you so much, I was going slightly gaga here trying to work it out..bless your heart for your patiemce. The windows I have used in the past didn't have these. Give yourself a gold star for being kind and patient.

Todqy my SIL is picking up a delivery from the PO for me and I know it is the new Fairfield....dry fitting tonight no, not painting windows.

How exciting @Thimble HallJeannine, parcels are great, but when you know it is a new dollhouse, whoohooooo! :D 

I got distracted from painting windows by my kitchen. The lovely ebay seller that @fovEmily pointed out to me says he can print some other appliances too, so I've been designing and measuring and sketching away all day! Now I think I just have to wait for him to find the time to list the other appliances... there's that patience thing needed again!

I also found a neat jacuzzi that'd fit lovely in my bathroom, but the Fairfield will have to wait a couple more years I think for that upgrade. 

Looking for a nice big 1:24th scale Christmas tree now. I'm not the biggest bottle brush Christmas tree fan, so am looking for something a little different, without snow on, that I hopefully can decorate myself. The house has been waiting 8/9 years, and I have plenty still to do before it is ready for the tree, so not really a hurry, but keeping my eye out.

Muriel, just an idea that wafted though my head re Chistmas tree as there is not much out here for half scale, what about looking for full scale and cutting some of the lower parts off. We have all done it with real Christmas trees that we bought too big for a room.You would be able to get one that would go right to the roof that way of you wished. Just a thought I think it would be what I woud be doing.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Thimble Hall said:

Muriel, just an idea that wafted though my head re Chistmas tree as there is not much out here for half scale, what about looking for full scale and cutting some of the lower parts off. We have all done it with real Christmas trees that we bought too big for a room.You would be able to get one that would go right to the roof that way of you wished. Just a thought I think it would be what I woud be doing.

I looked a bit for half scale, and then thought precisely that, I'm sure I could cut down a full scale one! Then I ran out of time. Thanks for the reminder! 

I've ordered my kitchen! :banana: Seller was very kind and is customising by adding an extra worktop ledge to make it fit extra nice, without extra charge, and has hurried listing stuff so I can place my order sooner. He's changing his bathroom set listing and has given me the option of which I want. He offered to send it unassembled, or assembled according to my sketch without additional charge. And he is quick to respond to emails. He has warned me he's super busy, so might take a week to make, but with such nice customer service I'm happy to impatiently wait.:book:

In the meantime I'm going to see what other bits I can make, like Christmas cards, presents, books for the shelves... 

Edited by Muriel

Got a bunch of cards  resized and ready to print last night. This evening I had a brief look in my dollhousing area - I'm missing the banisters and balustrades, they're not in the box I thought. Found the endless painted window trim, most of which I won't use, but will need the bits for the little top windows.  During my look I found some more bits I'd bought for the Fairfield 8 years ago. Found some plates and bowls, though they look a little big (but definitely not 12th scale!) and some teeny glasses. Also some utensils, chopping board, broom, pots and pans, and some coffee/tea/sugar canisters. Also have some Christmas bits that I saved off something. Again a bit big, but I have some big bits in RL too, so I'm sure they'll be fine. Found some blue string lights I got, but the battery pack is bigger than some multicoloured ones I got recently. I'll have to see which I like better when up. 

Need to make some books now, think I need 3 book shelves worth! See how much I can cheat and do in one go rather than individual books. I have quite a few Baldacci books on my shelf, can probably take a picture and figure something out for them at least! I'll also need the Harry Potter series... 

I got a mini parcel today :D some cute cups, a Christmas plate, a couple normal plates, and some candy canes. Still waiting on my kitchen - its only been 3 days though! I was thinking of some warm punch in the little cups - they're glass with handles - so will need to get a nice jug or punch bowl to put the punch in.

I've asked Facebook for some book series suggestions and have a bunch to print out now. I'll have to do some single books too, but at least it is a start. 

Very cute. 

Needs some work to make it a bit less 3d printed like, but a very good base to start from. 

Chivs paints many models for one of his hobbies, so might get him to paint the washing machine and tumble dryer. 

Now need to decide what I want to do with the cabinet doors. Do I leave them white? Do I add handles? Do I frame the doors? 

IMG_20210420_094340_compress93.jpg

• Like 1

So thought I better do a bit more if a search for the banisters and railings. Turns out the box labelled 'building bits' is 24th scale rather than the 12th I thought, and has all my Banister bits in. And the box beside of 'lighting bits and furniture' is 24th scale too, and turns out I'd already bought a sitting room and dining room set, so don't need to use the puzzle furniture there! Yay! I've added the scale to my box descriptions now ;-) 

Next job I think is take the house apart again to install windows and doors. A daunting task. 

I waited to install windows and doors until I'd glued mine together and got it all decorated.  I did it floor by floor, though, so I decorated the first floor and put in windows and doors, then glued the second floor, etc.

I've done a lot of the decorating, just need to do the skirting boards, windows and doors in the bottom two floors, but still need to decide on and do the top floor walls and ceilings/roof. I'll probably do the skirting boards once each floor is glued together so they can cover gaps. Will have a look at the instructions and see if taking apart in reverse order is going to be easiest - I dry fitted 8 years ago and don't remember any of putting it together. 

Watching you with interest and envy,I am much much slower than you. The kitchen looks very pristine and will fit just perfectl, are you leaving it white?

I ove the way you casually say "just need to do te skirting boards,windows and doors in the bottom two floors"  that is a years worth to me probably!! Soon you will be decorating your tree and wrapping parcels.. what fun!!

Hehe, I do procrastinate an awful lot Jeannine! I've done some playing around with (modifying) a little bit of puzzle furniture and some online shopping, and figuring out where I want to put which doors. But no decorating or gluing since I got it out. 

I'm not sure what colour I'm going to have the kitchen, I'll leave it white for now and see how it goes. 

Sadly I haven't found the instructions, have emailed Greenleaf, just gotta be patient again. Or you know, wing it, more likely. I'll do my best to remember as I dismantle!