Christmas Fairfield House build progress

Muriel

While on our honeymoon in Florida we stopped at Ron's in Orlando and I was able to persuade my husband that I did really need the 1:24 scale Fairfield. I was able to fit it in my suitcase! a year and a half later or so we moved into our current house and I started building when I had a roughly 18 month old probably. I dry fitted and then painted the outside red (it is going to be Christmas themed) and did the popsicle floors. I got upgraded stairs and balustrades. I wallpapered and painted the bottom two stories and cut a hole to the tower room. Then I dry fitted again so I could visualise better what colour the window and door trim needed to be. I painted the inside frames, and then something got in the way, and I stopped. Could be Natasha got old enough to reach and I had to put it away out of her reach, where I then couldn't reach myself. Then baby two came along and the poor house has been waiting in dry fit ever since, probably 8 years ago. 

I finally got her out last weekend, but now I want pre-made window with finer trim. I have changed a few things, like added stairs to the attic and the opening to the tower, and I think removed some wall bits... but it was so long ago that I'm not sure anymore! The wall paper has at least helped remind me of what I intended each room to be! 

So, next stage is making the decision of upgrading windows - essentially I've decided I am, it is whether I can source them at an affordable price. I found some that look perfect, but of course it is the one item on the website that doesn't have measurements! I have emailed the website to ask the measurements, but they're being slow in replying and I'm impatient. Another job I am kinda working on in the meantime is deciding what to do in the kitchen. I want it modern, but with little space for a full kit, I will probably need to make the cabinets myself. This also means I need to wait and see if I can buy a cooker and fridge or if I need to make them myself (and whether I want to include a dishwasher and washing machine, I know I'd need them in my house!!) The website I particularly want to look at, Mini Etchers, is on hold for orders at the moment, so I can't even browse to see what she has available. Impatience occurring once again! Now that I've finally got the house out and accessible again, I'm ready to go, and I want to go now! 

I may have a look at my balustrade situation for the porch and balcony. I want to have red and white striped ones, like candy canes. I've got some, but not enough to do all the spindles. - I'll have to dig out and find all the bits I bought for the house all that time ago to help me remember how far I got and what I got. 

I'll update on this thread as I go I think, keep everything together. Start is a picture of the house in dry fit in January 2013

Dry fit Jan 2013.jpg

Here are the floors I did in June 2013. The kitchen (not pictured) and bathroom tiles have faded quite a bit since then, but are still a nice dusty pink colour and will keep. 

Floors June 2013.jpg

Needed to visualise how big cabinets would be in the kitchen, and play around with where they would go.... Didn't have lego to hand, did have stock cubes though ;)

Kitchen planning.jpg

• Like 1

Nice job on those floors! I look forward to watching your progress.

Unless you have an old version of the kit, the Fairfield's window holes should fit Houseworks windows. I don't know how easy or hard those are to find in the UK.

I am in the same boat but not for so long,I just picked up on my Fairfield from about three years ago and I have forgotten the plans I had made  to change it ..after bashing it about a bit.It is hard to pick up again so I am going very slow. I bought Houesworks wndows and yes you can get them in the UK. I stood on a door just last week and no one had it but someone in the Uk. If I get a bit frustrrated I stop building and move to the staircarpet I am making for a while.I am moving forward though.

Good luck with yor project, there are some lovely blogshere with the Fairfield on.

Well window measurements reply email came as I was placing my order elsewhere. They were too small anyway. 

Now I have to wait for dispatch and delivery, and as Friday and Monday are bank holidays I'll have to wait extra long! Oh my patience is not so good! 

I have a set of puzzle house style furniture in 24th scale. Going to have to do some searching to see how others have made them look less clunky. 

Hi Muriel!

I just bought this dollhouse and it will be my first one. I can't find a good picture of the inside of the house anywhere and was wondering if you might share a couple? I don't know what I want each room to be cause I'm not sure of how many rooms it has and what each one looks like. I want to do the floor and walls before I put it together. 

Thanks!

The middle picture is going to be the sitting room, currently missing the bay window. 

The furniture isn't staying as it is now. I've also got fireplaces for these two rooms. 

IMG_20210402_172529_compress28.jpg

IMG_20210402_172521_compress25.jpg

IMG_20210402_172709_compress95.jpg

2 minutes ago, fov said:

Muriel, some of that chunky puzzle furniture might look good if you paint it to look like gingerbread.

Now that's an idea I hadn't thought of! Good thinking. 

Whoohooo, my windows were shipped yesterday, hopefully they'll arrive tomorrow! They ended up only having 10 in stock for now, but will send the 11th when they get it. That's fine, I just need a couple to work out how far the trim goes into the room!

I've always wanted a RL big window in which to put my RL Christmas tree... I'm going to put it in the window in the Fairfield, but it is two windows of course. I did debate turning it in to one window, but I think two will work nicely still and keep the symmetry with the upstairs windows. 

Erm, pretty, already built ones! ;) 

Having a look....It doesn't say what brand, but the code is HW, and they said they're waiting for more from America, so I assume Houseworks. The 'non working traditional' ones. 

They are here, they are here!! Lovely, can't wait to get them out if their packaging...just need to put girls to bed, only a couple songs tonight, I need to mini! 

Edited by Muriel
Spelling

They're lovely, and know they're going to look great. Very tight squeeze, so going to need to do some sanding I think, and definitely need to paint them before I squeeze them in and they don't come out again! Spray paint coming out tomorrow, then I can measure my kitchen with windows and doors and order some 3d printed furniture and appliances. 

Think I'll have to fit the windows and trim when it is out of dry fit, which seems a bit scary - big step taking it apart again, even though it isn't glued.

I'm working on the puzzle furniture, I've clipped lots of tabs off, bought my spackle, just need to be brave enough and get on with filling those cracks! And then try out staining the spackle and wood and see how it takes. Most of the wood in my RL house is pine and light, so not sure I want to stain yet.

Material shop in town isn't allowed to open quite yet, so impatiently waiting to have a look there and see if there is anything suitable to upholster sofa and dress my beds with. Not sure about curtains - material seems quite thick for 24th scale, but again I'll see what they have. We've got blinds and curtains in my RL house, so maybe indicating blinds could be an option... Or might just have to find some old thin hankies to make curtains out of! In fact I made some bunting out of old hankies for my wedding, I'm sure I could appropriate one or two to make little Fairfield curtains! Thinking out loud here :D 

large.gallery_2387_3440_2369.jpg.df54bcc

Edited by Muriel

25 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I used mostly silk from ladies' shirts I found in thrift shops.

Good idea! Think the shops are all allowed to reopen on Monday, so hopefully I can go thrift shopping soon. 

Yes I use silk too, and for cotton I use one of the Swiss batistes. I prefer Nelona which is available online, it is not cheap but you need so little. It is so very fine and it comes in pastel colors; I used it a lot for making christening gowns .Re the silk, when you are searching the thrift shops look for 2 types regular fine silk then peach skin. This is a tad heavier but gives a lovely drape to curtains. I find that the basic China silk which is cream and very thin,usually used for mens shirts, makes a wonderful curtain lining.I am lucky to live close to an area that has a lot of Oriental and East Indian foks in so some of their cast offs turn up in the Thrift shops and some are incredible. The trims are very useful too I find some patterned silks there that have very tiny patterns on them.

Good luck with your special shopping.