Christmas Fairfield House build progress

Muriel

Oh decisions decisions! What colour do I do my internal window trim? Originally I'd planned to do different colours depending on room, but really they're the same colour in all the houses I've lived in, so have mostly made up my mind to do the same colour throughout. 

small.IMG_20210425_221037_compress89.jpg

The light brown is the bare wood colour it comes as, middle is stained dark brown, bottom is spray painted white. I think my least favourite is the top, though skirting boards are likely to be light, at least on the middle floor, so matching window frames would be ok. The walls in the living and dining room are white, so white windows would blend in with the walls there....

small.828770103_FloorsJune2013.jpg.60314

(bottom, middle, top floors)

Then I think I could stain the downstairs windows and skirting boards to match the floor, and leave middle floor light brown to match skirting boards. Top floor is of course not houseworks windows, so would be darker plywood - though I could wash it with a lighter colour or just paint it lighter. 

Any opinions/reasoning to share? Outside and inner frame are all white. 

1 hour ago, Muriel said:

Oh decisions decisions! What colour do I do my internal window trim? Originally I'd planned to do different colours depending on room, but really they're the same colour in all the houses I've lived in, so have mostly made up my mind to do the same colour throughout.  

I would do white throughout. The natural/stained wood framing looks out of scale to me and draws too much attention to itself. Give me a nice quiet frame that lives only to admit light, please. :D  And besides, won't most of the framing be somewhat hidden behind curtains and drapery?

White for me too . I have just removed all the dry build tape fromm ine after erectimg a couple  of extra rooms etc having a couple of days off as  I  am very very tired right now, then have to decide what to do first.

I have two sets of Fairfeld plans, pm me your address Muriel.

1 hour ago, Thimble Hall said:

I have two sets of Fairfeld plans, pm me your address Muriel.

Bless you! I forgot to update, Greenleaf emailed me a copy on Friday :) But thank you so much for the offer. 

And then I unpack some more bits I'd put away and discover I'd already done a whole load of work cutting out new bits and painting them for windows so they were nicer and smoother than the ones that came as part of the kit. Good thinking me, oh well, I'll have to see if I can use them for something else. I even stuck bits together to make the top trim. Funnily enough the bits I cut out have stayed pretty white, the kit pieces have become more creamy coloured over the years. 

large.IMG_20210427_102903_compress56.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Did you prime your creamy colored bits before painting them white?

I doubt it, so makes sense that they're yellowing. I would have done probably 3 layers of paint, but no sealer underneath. 

On 4/27/2021 at 4:06 PM, Muriel said:

I doubt it, so makes sense that they're yellowing. I would have done probably 3 layers of paint, but no sealer underneath. 

ooo - that will add some wonderful character to the build! 

This is such a beautiful, quaint house to fix up, Muriel!

and I know all too well abt 8 year old projects outstanding. My daughter will be 8 soon. We do crafts together quite often, but she is still learning what’s cute AND doable. So I have some things on the back burner still. :)

• Like 1

I went around a few thrift shops on Saturday, but didn't find anything suitable sadly. I did see some silk scarves which I hadn't thought of, patterns were all too big, but a good idea to look at those too for curtains and bedding. I have watched a couple videos on making dollhouse curtains, all were 12th scale, but with thinner material will work for 24th scale too I think. My other houses have either been curtainless or had little half window lace curtains made out of ribbon, I hadn't really thought about that before! 

• Like 1

Be very careful with scarves, Muriel, to get real silk scarves; the man-made substitutes are a b***h to cut & sew and don't really drape or hold pleats (and that was my experience with 1:12!).

Yes, I was thinking real silk, the other stuff just isn't right. 

I found some lovely red silk in my material stash, but it's quite thick, so would be more like heavy drapes, and I'm not sure that's what I want. I will try it out and see. 

Saw a gorgeous rainbow afghan, I'm sure in half scale, last month, I think I commented on the picture, but can't find it now. Can anyone point me in its direction again? 

I like projects that can be made in a day or two. Crocheting a tiny blanket is going to take just as long as a big one, ie forever in my eyes! I'll start it and see if I continue ;-) The big blanket I made took 4 months of solid work I think, and took much of my patience. 

I just finished a 1:1 tablecloth that took me 5 years, because I mostly worked on it during days we ran errands, in the car, and sitting in waiting rooms and offices; I finished the edge's last 3 rows in a week, watching TV (which is where I work on the majority of my handwork projects).

So I went to HobbyCraft shop for tiny crochet hook and yarn. While there I thought I might as well look at lace ribbon for curtains. None were perfect - though some would definitely do - and then I thought, well I can do bobbin lace making (haven't done it in years, but learnt and I'm sure I could figure it out again) I could make some myself. But it is another craft project that'll take a while and stop me completing the house. Do I want that, or do I want to finish it?? :D Now thinking maybe I can make lace curtains removable, then can use the bought stuff for now and when it is done, can upgrade when I decide to make lace myself.... Goodness me you can invest a whole extra load of time into creating these mini houses!!

Sadly no rainbow yarn thin enough at HobbyCraft. Haven't really found what I want online either, but now that I've seen thicknesses in person I might have more luck. 

So instead got some red and white, that'll suit my somewhat red themed sitting room. That does mean making two afghans, red and white one, and then something rainbow when I find yarn, I'm not sure I'll even finish one!

Just a thought, but for rainbow yarn that is thin I would get some very fine 1ply, I knit a lot in it .Jamiseon and Smith make a pure wool.Over in Shetland,Then I would use appropriate colors of dye and simple paint the yarn with it .If you had it round say a cookie sheet to hold it snug it would work. Let one color dry before adding the next. I have done this for tiny doll clothes and it works remarkably well. You will find the same thickness of yarn on cones in acrylic, it works too but doesn;t take the dye so easily. As it is something you will not be wearing or wearing it should work out for your needs. J& S is extremely fine yarn. I have a collection of 1950 Rosebud thumbsucker dolls that I dress in it and as I am picky I insist the scale of the clothes is correct for the doll and this yarn does what I want it ti do.  Just a thought