Christmas Fairfield House build progress

Muriel

20 hours ago, fov said:

Have you tried taking the house (or a piece) to the paint counter at a hardware store to ask for their help? In addition to matching the color they might be able to tell you what the finish is.Are the joints you're spackling all at the corners? If yes you could use corner trim over them instead. Another idea would be to use the paint with the finish that doesn't quite match, and then go over the whole house with a satin or matte varnish to (hopefully) make the finish consistent. I don't know if that would work, so it would be worth testing with scrap pieces first.

I got them to match the colour, but they could only do the tester pots in matt. I hadn't thought about the finish really at that point. Then assumed I could just go over it with varnish and thought satin would match.

It is corners, but also where the tab and slot bits are for the floors. I might end up just recovering it matt varnish and just leave the bits right by the window frames as they are. I'm sure I'll figure something out, just wondered if anyone had experience with matt varnish Vs matt paint finish. 

Edited by Muriel

Well having another break.... Getting new flooring in our sitting room and hallway, so everything has to be packed away and cleared from the rooms. Rather than the indicated and expected 6+ weeks til fitting they've given us a slot in just over 3 weeks, so its all hands on deck packing! We have a lot of stuff. So have managed to tidy the dining room some so that we can fit some stuff in there, dvds have gone in boxes to the shed, Fairfield is back out of dry fit and packed away in boxes, 4 more houses to temporarily rehouse to Chivs' study/hobby room (he's trying to clear some space for them). Biggest headache will be the furniture, it's going to be crammed! But am really really looking forward to a new floor! At the moment it is literally worn through carpet and falling apart parquet floor in the hallway. Miniaturing is on hold for 2 weeks at least! 

• 1 month later...

How is your house Muriel. I was thinking of you a few days ago when sorting out my silks, did you finally manage to get your curtains sorted.

My Fairfield is on hold too as I am completely gutting and sorting my craft room, which of course involves the whole house as I have stuff stashed all over.. crazy. I spent a quiet afternoon yesterday sorting my dressmaking pins and sewing needles..ditto t al my knitting needles etc.

I envy you Christmas house. I stll have a bultt but bare house here that I may do as one so I am watching yor post very carefully. I forget it;s name but it is a small MDF one.

Looking forward to your update, 

House is temporarily on hold, definitely longer 5han the original couple weeks I thought! Beginning of June we had a new floor put in, so I had to put everything away in boxes for that.... Then decided to paint skirting boards... then have some additional sockets installed... then went off to church children's camp... Now finally back, 2 more loads of laundry to do, shelves are starting to be rebuilt, and then hopefully I can get the house back out! We have no specific plans for tomorrow, so I'm really hoping to make lots of progress then. 

Sounds like you're doing an amazing job Jeannine! I find it so difficult to find motivation to do something like that, so it never gets done. 

• 2 months later...

Right then, we're up and running again! As I dismantled before our floor was done I wrote notes on what I needed to do still, and at what point, so that as I got it out again I could do all those steps. I put it all away nicely, and then when the time was right got it out again to do my various tasks. But could I find my notebook anywhere?? Nope!!! I have a lot of partially used notebooks around the house, mostly in the same place, but not all, and I looked through every one (though was sure it was the solitary squared paper notebook I own) and just no luck. So figured I better dry fit it *again* so that I could make notes again. Grumble grumble.

Starting at the bottom doing all the bits that need doing now... Well not quite the truth. I was going to make shelves beside the chimney in most rooms, but then I couldn't find my easy cutter anywhere, and cutting tens of shelves another way really didn't appeal. So instead of built in shelves attached to the walls I figured bookcases that I can slide in later when I've found my easy cutter would also work (and probably easier to fill that way too!) So I measured for them. Only shelves I really wanted attached to the walls were the ones between sitting and dining room on the side of the chimney. So I've cut them to size and tried them out (need one more) now just need to trim ever so slightly and glue in. And decide if they'll be wood colour or painted. (Oh, and now I've thought I could paint them rainbow like this, but that's need doing before I install the shelves! Hmmmmm)

I'm gluing in the doors: kitchen door, which doesn't come with inside trim - does it need something? Yes I think so, so using the frame that came with the kit, fitting it around the to-be-built-in kitchen. Then couldn't find the kitchen to dining room curved frame. So I got a little fed up not finding stuff and paused. And spent some days looking up some 24th scale accessories. 

While looking up accessories I thought it'd be prudent to see what I've actually bought over the last 11 years. Opened my one box, but only seemed to have furniture in, on to the other box with the fireplaces and railing pieces in... Oh look, there's my notepad!! 😀 My new notes were more detailed anyway 😉 

So I've made a list of accessories I want for Christmas, I then found my kitchen doorway, and now I've got my easy cutter too (which Chris had put somewhere, but couldn't remember putting it somewhere, let alone where! "Yay, where did you find it?" "Where doesn't matter, what matters is that you are happy that we have it again!" 🙄). So on with gluing doorways, then skirting boards. The build is on, will the walls be glued in time for Christmas??

Found my easy cutter 🙄

Needed to figure out my front door. The kitchen door and balcony door were upgrades, but couldn't find anything suitable to use as the front door. Debated trying to edit an upgrade door, but again none were wide enough for what I wanted really. Then thought I could make the window wood narrower to match the kitchen door.... or what about just leaving a bigger square window? So cut out the bigger divider in the original kit door and put in the acetate and it looks quite nice actually. Made the rest of the door and frame and remembered I'd have to hinge it - so ribbon hinge it is. I've now glued all that in place as well as the hall skirting boards. Not settled on the door windows yet, might stain glass them... Will have to research the best options for that. 

small.IMG_20211025_201944_compress88.jpg

I've also been deciding what to do with my fireplaces still. I had one black one and two kinda creamy wood colour which I didn't like at all. My dining room is going to have rainbow stiped curtains and probably some rainbow colours in the table cloth/runner, so thought maybe a rainbow mural or picture above the fireplace, and a black fireplace would go best with that. Decided to try a green fireplace in the sitting room with the red curtains and red/white striped sofa. Definitely unique, but hey, I'm pretty quirky and unique, so it'll work 😉 

small.IMG_20211025_202113_compress72.jpg

I'll have to figure out what to do with inside the fire place. A fire basket of some sort? Any suggestions?

I've cut the flooring for the porch, not sure yet what colour I'll have it, but that's something I can work on once the walls have been glued. Glued the first wall, the outside tower walls in the L shape. Few more skirting boards to do now, and have to trim my curtains - they're way too long currently - but am undecided on how to finish the cut edge, so haven't trimmed them yet. 

• Like 1

Your door looks awesome! Great solution.

If you keep that piece of acetate for the door window, I would consider adding a strip of wood under the diamonds. The white lines simulate panes but I think there would need to be a bottom piece holding the panes in place.

Gallery Glass works well for stained glass. It's thick and you can spread it around inside the white lines with a toothpick. You could go with red and green Christmas colors. Here's a blog post about Gallery Glass: https://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=12232

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Gallery Glass isn't available here that I could find, still investigating alternatives (though haven't in a few weeks). Had another break from the Fairfield, but back on it now. I've done skirting boards and doors and doorways, finished some floor boards on the middle floor (some more to go), and done the spindles on the stair cases, but not the banister yet. Kinda getting to the gluing stage, its a little scary to go for it! Have developed another sticking point. Do I leave the wall between front hallway and kitchen, or do I cut it down to counter height??

large.IMG_20211203_221019_compress83.jpg

large.IMG_20211203_220928_compress28.jpg

Yes, definitely somewhat odd in real life to have the cooker in front of that gap, but do like it open (the cooker is more lined up so it isn't under the stairs, just looks more under the stairs in the picture). Either way the stairs were open, so thinking maybe a bigger hole? Oh decisions! Opinions? Would maybe leave a (RL) 6 inch wall behind/above the counter. 

2 hours ago, Muriel said:

Would maybe leave a (RL) 6 inch wall behind/above the counter. 

I like it open, and I like the idea of a short backsplash behind the cook top.

By the way, in a real life A-frame house with slanted walls, I saw a cooktop sited against a slanted wall. The back burners could hold pots no more than 6" high. Talk about poor planning!