Thousand Thanks

beth

To all you wonderful people that have given web sight for printables and your own ideas for doing different projects I say thank you. I don't have much to say but I do read a lot in this forum. I'm not real good at doing some of the projects that I've worked on but I figure if I'm happy with it that's all that counts. I have looked at a lot of your pictures of your houses and they are beautiful. One thing I have learned from this hobby is that it is a very expencive one. That is one reason that I try to make a lot of my own things. Making boxes of all kinds is fun, but sometimes they sit for a month becaues I get upset that they won't go together the way they should. I have been into miniatures since 1989 and haven't given up on it and don't think I ever will. I have loved dollhouses since I was very young and my mother made me one out of 2 orange crates (oops telling my age). The furniture was made out of scrap wood and covered with scraps of cloth from dresses my mother made for me. When we moved from Michigan to Illinois there wasn't enough room to take it with. I can still remember it as if it were yesterday. I guess you can say having a dollhouse now was a long time coming. Thirty-five years is a long time to wait for your second house.

Thank you all again for your help

Beth

I'm not real good at doing some of the projects that I've worked on but I figure if I'm happy with it that's all that counts.

I agree that is all that counts!

I also am not great at alot of things and it is a costly thing to buy everything...so I keep plucking along and some of the things I have done are more passable than things I have made in the past but as long as i am happy who cares what anyone else thinks!

I made Barbie houses out of cardboard boxes and I had the sunshine family with craft truck which came with instructions for making furniture and things out of stuff found in most homes. like milk carton sofas and chairs. I ALWAYS wanted a dollhouse...but it wasnt ment to be until now.

I love it when people walk into my house and see all of my houses. keep working at it Beth and soon you will find your niche! and have a housefull of lil goodies to play with!

glad you found us!

nutti :cloud9:

Hey Beth.. Dont I know what you mean by expensive.

I am already thinking of making my own light fixtures. A pack of 2 plugged bulbs only costs me about $3. Two new light fixtures can go upwards of $30-$40 for the pair.

I am very hyper critical of any homeade work I do. But I have learned alot here too. I have not even been here a year and I have been able to build houses, electrify them, build HOM kits, wallpaper, make my own hardwood floors, and make sculpy stuff. I am still learning and I am amazed at all of the immense talent that is collective in this forum!

Oprah needs to do a dollhouse show and invite us all on the show! (wishful thinking!)

Beth, several of us try to make things for our houses to save money. Please check our Havanaholly's blogs on her houses--she has several tutorials where she has made furniture or accessories for her house. Also, if you catch up reading you will hear about the things people turn into miniature item..

It can be expensive, I know at one time there was even a discussion about insuring some of our dollhouses, because of the money we had sunk into them.

Glad you joined us and I'm sure that you are more critical of your creations than anyone else would be. So please feel free to share your ideas with us.

I have learned from this hobby is that it is a very expencive one.

This is why I toil up the learning curve to make my own stuff. My Muse is an English lady named Patricia King; she is the queen of making dollshouse items from "found" (junk/ trash) items. You can make a lot of plumbing fixtures with a pound of white Sculpey and a can of silver spray paint.

What a sweet post! I'm a rank amateur at all of these things, and I'm surprised and humbled by all the nice comments I get on my "virgin Garfield". And I am amazed by all the skill and inventiveness that folks show here, turning "trash" to "treasures" for their houses. All us new to miniatures owe a huge thanks to the good folks here, especially those of you who have done this for YEARS, are highly skilled, and yet still take time to help out us "new kids". Thanks!

i a new at this also. always wanted a doll house. found a small dora, tudor at the thrift store for 5 dollars so i figure that would be a great starter house.

bin real busy taking care of my mom lately. really sick and in hospital 18 days out of the month. still lots of test. looking at something in her lung. so not much time to play but i have the whole winter do do that. and maybe by the beginning of the year i will be able to afford to work on it to.

Thank you so much for all the great ideas on this site. hugs soprok

Debbie, sorry to hear about your mother. Hope all goes well for her.

One of the nice things about minis is that there is always some little mini something that you can do making accessories or even just working out color schemes in your head, even if you can't devote big blocks of time to a house.

I've been at this less than a year and am falling deeper and deeper into the charms of Miniland (aka the Greenleaf Forum) and its many wonderful residents!

The best for me is to be actually making all the little things for the houses.

Be it the windows, changes walls, down to the little doodads that every house needs inside.

One gets to learn new things and the pleasure is so much better when you get to stand back

and say "I made this and that" instead of where you bought it.

If only banks would offer mortgages for dollhouses. :woot:

Hope you mother is better soon Debbie.

I have found that even if you think the house is the way you want it you will still find something else for it or even change things around. My first house I kitbashed twice. Good Luck.

Beth

I go back and forth between thinking my house is great to comparing it to others and wondering why mine doesn't look so good. I keep reminding myself that I am building this house for me and that is what is important. I am having such a wonderful time creating my own little minis. That's what really counts. Also, I don't have to worry that someone will think that it looks funny or cheaply done, because my friends here at Greenleaf always have praise for everyone's accomplishments. That is so fantastic. I am on a pretty tight budget, so I can't run out and purchase the newest and best things for my little house, so I just try and create them. I have made plates and bowls and just this morning finished the sanding on a pitcher. It is so cute. Just needs some paint now. I would like to let everyone know that I appreciate all the advice and encouragement that I get here on the forums. You guys are de bestest!!

Debbie, hope all goes well with your mother.

Forum friends, YOU ARE THE GREATEST!!! There are so many talented people here that encourage even the smallest accomplishment, they make you feel as if nothing is impossible. Of course, the impossible may take a little longer but we'll get it done.

Where are the pictures of these creations? The most important thing to keep in mind is who you are making the mini for and are they happy with it.

Debbie, I hope things go well for your Mother.

I like to say thanks to all the members, everyone helps contribute something, even if it is only encouragement and that is so unusual.

I have found dollhouses are only as expensive as you make them. My haunted house is lit with some mini lights that I got at Michaels for $3. It is a string of 10 mini ghosts. I made lamps out of beads. The floors are left over parquet tiles ($1 each) Walls are leftover paint from bedrooms. Dollar store furniture. The witch is a cake topper from a cake decorating store (great for minis) I think I did the whole thing for $40. The house came out of the garbage (It was on top of someones garbage can) It was missing pieces, and was a little broken, thus it became a haunted house. I made my own coffin and pictures. Bedroom was done with scrap lace and fabrics. Old pieces of jewelry became knick knacks. Gumball machines supplied some stuff.

Someday soon I will build a 'good' house with real lights, but it was a lot of fun doing the haunted house and the fairy house (a paper paint bucket, toilet paper rolls and plaster)

Debbie - So sorry to hear your mom's ill. Hope it all comes out fine and I'll keep her in my prayers.

I love the idea that you have a 'found' dollhouse -- wish I could get one :banana: Love looking at other people's creations and think it's just delightful that so many people can have so many visions of what the same kit or house should become. And I'm personally thrilled that we have so many new members contributing -- makes the neighborhood a lot more fun :wub: