Greenleaf Mini Village

Peachie

I pulled what's left of my old kit out the other day. I assembled the remaining houses, primed and painted them. I still have a coat or two of paint to do on a few. I made one of them into an open back quarter-scale dollhouse for a friend a few years ago, but the remaining are just going to have a string of lights inside to light up for Christmas. I plan to have the village sit on top of my computer armoire. I haven't done anything in a few days though because I've been sick. But I'm hoping this weekend to be well enough to work on them again.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pulled what's left of my old kit out the other day. I assembled the remaining houses, primed and painted them. I still have a coat or two of paint to do on a few. I made one of them into an open back quarter-scale dollhouse for a friend a few years ago, but the remaining are just going to have a string of lights inside to light up for Christmas. I plan to have the village sit on top of my computer armoire. I haven't done anything in a few days though because I've been sick. But I'm hoping this weekend to be well enough to work on them again.

Sorry to hear you are sick......I've got it planned in my head how I want to do them....but getting it the way I want it is something else.....but I can't wait to get it completed so I can start on the Santa village....when I get mine finished next year at Christmas I will have them set up under my tree....and I'm going to put lights in all building.....

I was mixing paint today....I was wanting a bright red.....well I didn't get bright red....I got a rose pink....which is a pretty color so instead of painting my carriage house red it will be rose pink.....I know that may seem an odd color for it...but I kinda wanted something.....I have it put together....and going to start on another one of them.....you know if I keep working on it I might have it ready before Christmas.....woohoo wouldn't that be a neat..... :giggle:

I'm going out tomorrow....I will pick up those colors....I really wanted it a bright red.....I think I can paint and not get it on anything else.....I'm going to use the tape wire in the houses.....I've read Darrell guide for wiring some of it is still confusing as I get to those parts I will be asking questions.....Holly how do use spackling.....I would like to try working with it.....I'm trying to learn and trying not to ask so many questions....

Ellen, please ask all the questions you need to. You'd be surprise how much we all learn from others questions. Sounds like you are making very good progress on your houses.

Holly how do use spackling
I get the tub of Dap vinyl spackle in the white tub with the red lid. If it's separated (liquid on top) I stir it well. I finally broke down and bought a set of plastic paint/ wallpaper scrapers to spread it on with, but an old plastic credit card works perfectly!

For stucco I just spread it on like frosting a cake, right over the primer. If I want textured stucco I use one corner of the card in a small, light tapping or awirling motion to get the effect I want, and if it isn't I smooth it out again.

If I want to make "stone" or "brick" I paint the wood the color I want the grount first & let it dry well. I use a pointed toothpick to carve the grout lined into the damp spackle and frquently wipe off the buildup. I use my finger to smooth the rough buildup from the edges of the "stones". I haven't tried "bricks" since I've been using sandpaper, but I'd use a craft stick's rounded end for smoothing their edges.

I'm trying to learn and trying not to ask so many questions

Why? If you don't know an answer, if it just won't "come" to you, how in the world will you figure out if it's something you need?

I will get some spackling and work with it....I will be asking alot of questions when I start wiring the mini village.....I'm putting the building together and drawing a pic of where the wire will be going.....I want get to work on it much this week or next....

I can't believe my luck....I've glued one of the houses in the mini village 3 times and it has fell apart each time......so I talked with a lady in live chat and she advised me on what to do....I have it glued but haven't took the tape or rubber bands or the blocks holding the walls off yet.....please wish me luck....because if it falls apart this time......I'm going to put it away and work on it next year some time.....I do love the little village....it is one of my favorite.....

What about putting that one away for a day or two and starting a different house?

Sounds like a good idea to me. For whatever reason, that particular house isn't ready to be built just yet! Don't give up on the village, though. This is the perfect time of year to get inspiration! :unsure:

The mini village is now on hold :angry: ......until I can figure out why it want stay glued. :unsure: ....came back and one of the walls had fallen off..... :doh:

This is so weird. I usually have just the opposite problem ... stuff (including fingers!) gets glued together in spite of my efforts to be careful.

What kind of glue are you using?

This is so weird. I usually have just the opposite problem ... stuff (including fingers!) gets glued together in spite of my efforts to be careful.

What kind of glue are you using?

I'm using Elmer's Wood glue.....do u have any other suggestions?

I used plaster to hold mine together--then sanded it off after it dried. And they've held for six years. Give that a try. It's hard, I know, but after you do a couple of them, it'll get easier. Which village do you have--the first one or the second one? I'd like to post pics of mine, but I can't figure out how to do it here...I haven't taken the time to look around and figure it out. Maybe I'll do that now while I have a few minutes!

Good luck!

Susan

I finally got the little house to stay together :angry: ....thanks everyone.....I've started another building :doh: ....hopefully I want have the same problem...... :unsure: ...I have the Greenleaf village....I also want to do the town one......I have some ideas of how I'm going to set each house up.....it will be next Christmas before I will be able to show what all I intend to do....but when I get the set done I will post pics....I will be buying mini things to set it all up.....