Best glue for houses?

minijunkie

I am going to start my RGT store kit to make it into a witch' shop real soon. I have no experience builiding any dollhouses. I know glue is a personal preference...but since I have no experience I am wondering what most of you use when you put together your dollhouses?? Thanks!

~Bobbi

Yellow carpenter's glue, the bond types are great, they dry a little faster. Hey, Norm Abrams uses yellow carpenter's glue, what better endorsement could you ask for?

Now if the joint is hidden (most RGT joints aren't) I like to use (so does Norm) polyurethane glue, you can use Gorilla Glue if you like but they're all the same, since it's the strongest glue there is short of epoxy resin (which you could use on all your joints) but it makes a huge mess.

I use hot glue for roof shingles otherwise tacky glue everywhere else. Sometimes I use guick grip for small things like curtains so that they will stick fast.

Like my hero Norm on This Old House , I have had the best luck with yellow wood glue. I had the good fortune to come across a supply of wood glue that was used for installing hardwood floors. This seems to work great . For small items like doorknobs, etc., I use a dab of superglue. Be sure to have a supply of masking tape to hold the joints together while they dry. Have fun !

Doogster why are glue guns so bad ?

If one lives in a warm climate zone the glue seem to "loosen" iself after a while and in general the glue gun glue sort of wears of its stickiness after a while, it might not but then again it just might do it.... The glue used can sort of be re-melted if one exposes it in enough heat and that is no good :thumb:

Hugs

I also reinforce joins with heavy-duty staples after gluing (I also prefer Probond carpenter's wood glue by Elmer's). I use rubber cement for laying wood floor strips and white glue for most other stuff. Like Steve, I find a dab of superglue helpful to hold hardware (I like the gel; keep a big bottle of acetone and a bag of cottonballs handy).

I have tried liquid nails. It is kind of thick (physically, not just texture) you would have to make sure you used it spread thin and then I don't know how well it would grip. I use it for a filler in gaps sometimes, but due to the size of the tubes and the fact it always wants to dry out before I can use it up, I find yellow glue to be the better choice. Plus liquid nails is a pain to clean up.