Best Adhesive For Thin Wood Veneer?

Oh Karin me too!! My mom came over this morning, and I think she panicked a little for me thinking about laying each floor plank individually!

And then came the "you sure do have a lot still to do, will you finish? Why don't you auction off a different house?"

• Like 1

Laying the strips on the paper had mixed success. I didn't make a template, I just put the paper in the room and attached the strips. The self stick made it easy. And not being able to slide the strips around wasn't an issue, I slid the edge against the neighboring strip then laid the strip down. The down side to using the paper was some wrinkling. Overall I'm pretty pleased with the result.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

I can paint my floor, but I'm tired of painting. I was thinking using paper would be easier, but not if it doesn't turn out well. With the paper I can also make a template and work on it outside of the structure.

I understand your reluctance to paint, and working on a template is a good idea. I wouldn't use kraft paper, however, as it may deteriorate over time. Maybe an acid-free light card stock?

Hmmm... Good point that I had not thought of. Well 2 rooms have already been done, and the paper has it's own challenges. Not eager to use it anymore. I did however find a large stack of cardstock yesterday in the paper pile, with lots of earthy tones. ( and bright colors, and dark colors...I could probably paper 4-5 medium houses with what I found!) Even said out loud I should find a use for those. So there ya go, I'll use that for the rest! Thanks Kathie!

My go-to for attaching individual wood strips is starting with template stock, and applying Stick'm sheets and then placing straps.MBS makes them or Double Tack which you can get at HL, in the photo section.  Basically it's like double sided tape in sheets. 

All my wood floors are done this way. 

MBS Stick'm

Edited by miniaddicted
Spelling
  • Like 1

Wood glue is working well for the 1/16 cherry veneer. I'm going to finish the house with this (I'm doing floors and ceilings with it) but I think I'm going back to my basswood for any future projects. I'm cutting into half inch strips and it's a little harder to cut than the basswood, and keeps threatening to split. 

Karin, what are you using to cut it? I used a paper cutter, one of the big heavy ones that chops, not a slider type that scrapbookers use. I didn't have any trouble with splitting. Of course, mine also has a paper backing since it is adhesive, so that might help too.

• Like 1

Holly, I've been thinking about the best way to finish the cherry wood. Any recommendations? 

12 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Cherry is a hard, temperamental wood that finishes gorgeously.

13 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

Karin, what are you using to cut it? I used a paper cutter, one of the big heavy ones that chops, not a slider type that scrapbookers use. I didn't have any trouble with splitting. Of course, mine also has a paper backing since it is adhesive, so that might help too.

I use a utility knife with an old quilters mat and quilters mat ruler.  Since this is 1/16 I don't know if the paper cutter would work but that's an interesting idea. 

One method is to hand rub it with linseed oil, it brings out the color that will make your eyes pop!.  You can also see what a coat of lacquer looks like on it (you don't need to do both).  Test it on a scrap, first.

• Like 1

Sounds good, I'll try that. Thanks. 

We had a lot of snow here last night and today I'm having a harder time getting the floorboards to stay down. Not sure if its weather related. I tried the wood glue with a few drops of gorilla super glue and that solved the problem. 

5 hours ago, havanaholly said:

One method is to hand rub it with linseed oil, it brings out the color that will make your eyes pop!.  You can also see what a coat of lacquer looks like on it (you don't need to do both).  Test it on a scrap, first.

A friend who makes high end furniture said to try mineral oil. The only problem with oils is that they need to be redone periodically, as they dry out. You might try a light coat of a satin finish polyurethane or polyacrylic.

I had some linseed oil and tested that. It was pretty for sure but not a deep enough color. I ended up putting a cherry wood stain on, turned out really nice, I'll antique the edges and sand etc, this is an old house. The thicker veneer holding up nicely to my sanding...feels like butter when you run your hand over it :) 

Has anyone tried mahogany for flooring? Woodcraft only had one pack of the cherry left and I needed more than that so I thought I'd give the mahogany a try. Visually the grain and color seem very similar. He did say it would probably be harder to cut into strips though. He suggested I alternate the two types as I lay the floor down, one strip then the other..something to experiment with. Curious if anyone had experience with it or pictures of a floor made with it.