The Pierce - To hot-melt glue or to not hot-melt glue

Shareb

Okay - so I have pretty much built and glued the foundation of the Pierce together using wood glue and masking tape. Hubby (an Engineer) has suggested that as this is the foundation I should hot-melt glue the inside joins of the pieces. Now I can understand where he is coming from - but I have heard so many on here who don't like hot-melt glue. If I was to use it only on the foundation, would it be of benefit?

post-62950-0-96831800-1419999848_thumb.j

I'm my experience, wood glue is a much stronger permanent bond than hot glue. So I'm not sure it would have a lot of benefit. The foundation is the one part I can be a little messy, and I'll rub my finger along the joins to mush in the glue, getting it all smeary, instead of wiping it off like I do walls and floors. But even that probably isn't necessary.

If you wanted extra assurance, maybe you could make some little wooden braces.

• Like 1

Nope. When I want to reinforce under the foundation I add small blocks in the corners and I sometimes add long trim pieces at the joins (on the underside).

He's right that it would work if this type of glue weren't prone to shrinkage and brittleness with age as KathieB pointed out.

• Like 1

I heartily amen the no hot glue thoughts. It just doesn't hold up over time. Wood glue and small reinforcing pieces are the surest way for a sturdy foundation. You can add tiny brads or building staples but I've never found that to be necessary.

• Like 1

The husband is an engineer and loves to do things to his 'perfection'! I like the idea of the small blocks of wood to reinforce the foundation. I'm glad I asked about the hot-melt glue! :bigwink:

• Like 2

If he really wants reinforcement get him to buy you some 1/4" stripwood and a heavy duty stapler and staples that fit it; after you cut the stripwood into blocks and glue them into the inside corners of your foundation and pop a couple of staples into them from each side of the foundation y'all could probably ballroom dance on the Pierce; floor. Reassure him that unless he wants to kick the finished Pierce to pieces once it's together it will be sturdy enough for YOU to play with (and it's YOUR house, isn't it?); and that if he does want to kick a built Greenleaf house to pieces, let him get his own kit to do it to (like the Garfield).

• Like 2

Nope. When I want to reinforce under the foundation I add small blocks in the corners and I sometimes add long trim pieces at the joins (on the underside).

That's the way I reinforce houses too. It works very well to add a little extra stability to the house after it's built and even while you're building the rest of the house since you'll be flipping it around like a rag doll as you build.

Hmmm.....a fiberglassed dollhouse. I'd like to see that on the Houseboat or the Travel Trailer but it might look a bit odd on a Pierce. Not ruling it out mind you coz you never know but I like the suggestion of getting Hubby his own house to play with. <chuckling> Been there, done that; got mine started building military dioramas in 1:32 to keep him busy. When it comes to the suggestions I just smile, nod, and when he's gone I do it my way like I'd planned to in the first place. Or I pat him on the head and say, "That's nice dear". <cackle>

• Like 1

Aw geeze....now he's talking about fibre-glassing it!

This made me crack up! Welcome to my new mini life! I keep saying be careful what you wish for. I wanted my husband to be interested in my hobby and now he's ALL UP IN MY BUSINESS!

• Like 1