First Dollhouse - Would you regret giving it away?

biomom

Dollhouse Regrets  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Would you regret giving away the first dollhouse you made?

• Yes - I am highly sentimental or attached to it!
    • No - There is always more to make!
    • It depends upon who I gave it to.

About 5 years ago I built my first dollhouse, starting this fun and addictive hobby - it was supposed to be for my daughter but she was a bit too old for it by the time I finished. It is just taking up a lot of space in the basement...collecting dust. It seems a shame no one is enjoying it. A big part of me wants to fix it up and give it to charity but a little part of me wonders if I would regret this. I have several other dollhouses that I have spent much more time on and am attached to (mostly half scale). Way in the future when I have grandkids, I could always make another, yes?

What are your thoughts on this?

• Like 1

My first house was my Glencroft. I built it about 25 years ago and it was started when my children were small and we lived in Kodiak, AK. I have so many good memories of living there that I guess the dollhouse is connected to all that too--will never part with it.

• Like 2

Twenty some years ago I built a Canterbury and then a McKinley. They were my firsts. Later, I let my husband talk me into getting rid of them. My best friend knew someone who wanted them, so off they went. I still wonder what became of them and wish I had never let them go. When I got back into dollhouses, it was an Orchid that I found at Hobby Lobby on my birthday. I was hooked and of course my next dollhouse purchases was a new McKinley and Canterbury kits to replace the ones I had. I still wish I had the originals though. I can say that I will not let these go.

• Like 1

Janet, It really comes down to your own personality, but I think you would likely regret letting it go. You might be ok with it right now, but later there would likely be a regret. Also, there is no guarantee you'll have grand-kids. I have 3 kids and they all tell me that I will never have grand-kids. Luckily, I have an unofficially adopted family that I call my grand-kids and can spoil (lol).

I wouldn't get rid of my first one built (the Heritage) and I would be upset if my DD did (she says she won't ever even though she's not into dollhouses).

I still regret letting some of the ones I built after the Heritage go even though I know they are in good hands (pretty much).

I want to build for charity as well, but not much around here that I could do that for.

• Like 1

My first dollhouse was the Laurel with the Primrose addition... I sold it to a lady in the midwest for her daughter. I don't regret getting rid of it at all.... now my Glencroft (3rd house), my Nottingham, and Black Cat Landing will never leave me.

• Like 1

Another story of my Glencroft...when a friend in Wisconsin came over for the first time, she saw my dollhouse and gasped. She then told me a story of how when she was a little girl, she got lost and came upon a house that looked just like my dollhouse. The two little old ladies that lived there were very kind and gave her milk and cookies and explained how to get back home. Later that day, her mom was driving her around to find the house as the mom wanted to thank the ladies. She never found the house again even when she looked as an adult.

• Like 5

My first build was the Dura-Craft SF555 that was for our eldest (at the time only) granddaughter, and even though it has no longer existed for far longer than I care to tink of, I'm still glad I let it go. I gave my second build, the D-C cambridge, to the youngest granddaughter of my neighbor across the street, and I am glad it's being played with. The Greenleaf kits (unless I already have a buyer) I build for me to play with, and the ones I have gifted or sold I sometimes think about, but don't miss, since I figure I can always build another if I miss it badly enough.

• Like 2

I think I would regret getting rid of my childhood dollhouse, so I moved it from Boston to California and have held onto it through several CA moves. It's big and takes up a lot of space, but it's also one of a kind and I'm sure I would regret it someday.

I had a hard time giving up the Orchid, which was the first dollhouse I built, but I think the anticipation was worse than actually giving it away. Once it was gone I didn't miss it. I'll always have the pictures...

I can't imagine giving away my more recent houses, though. Even when they're "finished", I love playing with them them too much. :) (And I know you all understand what I mean by "playing"! :lol: )

• Like 2

hmm my first two dollhouses are long gone and I have no problem with that at all, and I have also disassembled two along the way and that doesn't bother me either....but the think way back to that wonderful feeling of accomplishment you had when you completed your very first build....if it were me I would keep your first one and buy another (one or two :) ) to give away...

• Like 1

...I can't imagine giving away my more recent houses, though. Even when they're "finished", I love playing with them them too much. :) (And I know you all understand what I mean by "playing"! :lol: )

When we can't play, when we lose touch with our inner child, we've lost something far more precious than a dollhouse.

• Like 4

I certainly don't regret giving them away at all! I gave away my first Willowcrest. I had throw away my first Dura Craft because it was assembled I properly and basically fell apart. I was still learning then and with learning, comes practice so these were all my practice dollhouse. Good thing I didn't invest in expensive finishes. I basically assembled the kits as is with only paint and wallpaper added to them. The wallpaper was contact shelf liners back then so even that was cheap.

I gave away my first Beacon Hill and I plan on giving away the second one once my third one is complete. I also gave away my Sterling Estate because of space issues. Through my time with dollhouse, I've given away about as much as I've sold and I don't regret it because I want others to also enjoy the dollhouse I've made and even though there is sentimental value there, I know they have gone to good homes or made great kindling! Lol

• Like 2

I'm starting to "never say never" about selling the houses, but right now I plan to keep the White Rose, the Prancing Pony Gypsy Wagon, and Maus Haus. The big Tennyson is the only one inch scale house that is staying (for now :D). I've given away, sold, or am selling the others, including the Diana which was the first one I built when I restarted this hobby two years ago. I never thought I'd part with it, but now plan to sell it (I already bought and stashed another Diana kit :p )

• Like 3

Almost 40 years ago, the first one was left in Tennessee with a marine family; the second went in Wisconsin; the first barn was left at a pre-school 28 years ago. I had the fun of making them, and I hope someone is still playing with them when I wasn't able to move them with me. That was when we used 1/4" plywood and they were HEAVY. (I did keep the trickier furniture and accessories I had made.) My kids still wish I'd kept the barn, but I built another last year. They say it's not the same, but the grands don't know that. If I still had any or all of them, I wouldn't have restarted a couple of years ago.

No, no regrets.

• Like 1

Last year I made a decision to invest in renovating my first dollhouse because I knew it was something I was not willing to part with. Even though the house is now different from the original kit version, it is still the house my father put together for me. However, my friend who purchased and built the same kit after seeing mine and falling in love in it, had no problems selling her house years ago. Since then, she has shown great interest in the progress of my two dollhouses, but she has no regrets in getting rid of her own.

So the question of whether you would regret parting with your first dollhouse is really up to the individual. There are no right, wrong or definite answers here. It is something you must ask yourself, and from what you have written it sounds like your are leaning toward giving the house away but just need that final vote of confidence before doing so.

Since part of you would like to fix up the house to donate to charity, why not work on it with that thought in mind. When you are done you may feel differently about it. You may become attached to it once again or decide you now like it as much as your more recent builds, in which case you can keep it. However, if that is not the case, then you can continue with your original plans and donate it. Whichever decision would bring you the most satisfaction would be the right one.

My other suggestion would be to discuss this with your daughter, since the house was built for her. It may appear as though no one is enjoying the house, but she may have non-expressed feelings toward it. She may also be taking it for granted that the house is hers, but not something she has to show an interest in every day.

• Like 1

When my time comes and the funeral FIRE is lit, my doll houses will be with me. .........

I don't have children, but my niece Tara expressed so much interest in my dollhouses as a child that my mother bought her a Fisher Price dollhouse of her own so that she wouldn't damage my houses from too much rough play. When I die she will inherit my two dollhouses, but I don't want her to feel burdened by them or guilty if she gets rid of them.

I plan on leaving Tara written word that if she doesn't want to keep the houses to please give them someone who would really want and appreciate them. I will direct her to this site if she doesn't know anyone personally - but don't get your hopes up folks, as I plan to be around for a while.

• Like 4

Another story of my Glencroft...when a friend in Wisconsin came over for the first time, she saw my dollhouse and gasped. She then told me a story of how when she was a little girl, she got lost and came upon a house that looked just like my dollhouse. The two little old ladies that lived there were very kind and gave her milk and cookies and explained how to get back home. Later that day, her mom was driving her around to find the house as the mom wanted to thank the ladies. She never found the house again even when she looked as an adult.

This is a very interesting story - the kind that makes you wonder.

• Like 2

I have 'my' houses and I have not/will not part with any of them. However, building TO give away a house is different. You don't get attached to them if they are a gift. Of course they also don't have the detailing of the ones I keep.

And I agree, there is no right or wrong in keeping, selling, tossing, or gifting - it's what is right for you.

• Like 3

I haven't built a big house yet - though I have two of them started by someone else and as yet unfinished. But 30 years ago my first "dollhouse" was in a bookcase. I eventually had to part with the actual bookcase, but I have all the furniture I made and all the furnishings that made up the house. I had loved miniatures from as early as I can remember, but it wasn't until adulthood that I realized it was a recognized hobby and art form - and I wasn't weird after all! After my 16-year-old daughter died, I threw myself into creating the bookcase dollhouse. Building an actual house was not feasible for various reasons, and the bookcase house moved with us to three different locations, before I had to dismantle it completely. Some of the accessories were made by my daughter, and the rest were made by me. I have no plans to part with any of them.

• Like 5

I would definitely regret giving away my first dollhouse. It's a Dura-Craft VM800 that my parents gave me as a kit when I was an early teen back in the eighties. I held onto it all these years and finally pulled it out of the attic a month or so before my 40th birthday (mini mid-life crisis?) to start putting it together. I'm still a long way away from completion but I just can't imagine giving it away at this point. It's a monster of a house though, so I'm still figuring out where I'll put it when it's done. I'm also questioning my sanity, starting with such a large project my first time out! :D

• Like 2

My first house I built was the Ashley. I gave it to my mom. When she moved to her apartment it stayed here. I am going to redo the inside and make it a little bakery and tea shoppe. Sherry's Sweets ! Or something more interesting if I can come up with something.

I won't get rid of it.

The first dollhouse I had was a fisher price dollhouse. I still have it. It has a plastic base and roof. The outside walls are a thick cardboard I believe. It's packed away for now. I need to finish rehabbing a few houses and get them sold. Then the fisher price house will be displayed in my workroom with all the original furniture. I may reupholster the sofa, chair and bed mattress but the rest will stay original. I also have the people. That will never leave me, and no one will be allowed to play with it. My Nanny and Grandpa gave it to me for Christmas many years ago.

• Like 2

Now that Kelly mentioned her Fisher Price dollhouse, I guess you can say that my first dollhouse was a Mouse House that was popular on the toy list that year. It folded like a suitcase and had a Mr. & Mrs. Mouse in their night clothes. The mice and the house were all plastic, and the house dates back to the mid-sixties.

It came with a table and two chairs and bunk beds that I liked to take apart to make twin beds. It also had a shelf with a rod containing two hangers, but the Mouses didn't come with an extra set of clothes. I had a TV set too that I put on the shelf, but I don't remember if it came with the house or if it was something I added.

When my mother bought my niece a Fisher Price dollhouse, she took out the Mouse House and set it up in the basement near the Fisher Price house. When my niece was nearing her teens, my mother packed up both homes, and my father put them in our backyard shed. But I still have it.

• Like 1