adding "dust?"

la-dolly-vita

with the exterior of my haunted Arthur getting closer and closer to done, i've started seriously contemplating the interior. the look i am sort of aiming for is that of an old abandoned house, not quite utterly delapidated but definitely aged and in need of repair.

i thought a great extra touched to this would be a layer of dust all over the furniture and other such things. but other than actually letting it sit about and collect it (shudder the thought!) i can't quite come up with an idea for how to replicate the look.

any suggestions oh mini-marvels?

I've read about people using actual dirt, some people use flour (although that seems the wrong color to me), some people use sawdust (saved from when they cut baseboards and trimwork)...i don't know if any of these ideas will help. For my tennyson, i had planned to use some dirt....i was going to experiement first tho. :groucho:

another thing you can use is chalk dust because it comes in different colors

That would be my suggestion, since real dust would be too large. I use a very fine spice grater (it grated whole nutmeg into powder, but risky to my fingers, so I washed it & use it with chalk pastels). You can gently rub tiny piles of white, gray and light brown and use a cotton ball or Q-tip to gently dab it where you want it. Lightly tamping or rubbing it with your finger ought to blend it into believable dust. I used this method to sooty up the McKinley fireplace and now the owner doesn't want to put a firescreen in front of it!

Dust, huh? Well, you could park the house under one of my beds for a couple days :groucho:

Oh, you wanted REAL advice? Well, the only thing that I've found that actually looks like dust, is, well, dust...

or Tracy's & Holly's powdered chalk -- which, if you want the dust all over, you can put it onto fine screen (like a small strainer or really fine cheesecloth) and disperse it by shaking it through the mesh or even just putting it in your palm and kind of blowing it into the room. (If you want to blow it in, do it in private -- folks have been given a free trip to the padded rooms for less odd behavior)

Wouldn't recommend using real dirt or flour -- too much chance of attract real buggies.

Personally i wouldn't use the flour, it wouldn't look right IMHO.....I just posted ideas that i've read about.

The dirt we have here is very fine, so i'm gonna experiement with it, it may actually work best for me. I'm not planning on making heaping piles of it :yes: :p so i don't see how it would attract pests, but i don't live in a bug infested area of the country either, so it may not be a problem regardless. The idea is to lightly very lightly create the illusion of dust.

I don't know if baby powder would work cuz it leaves a sheen if you rub it. Chalk dust does sound another great option tho.

I don't know about makeup tho.....

This sounds like a good opportunity to experiment....whoever tries each item...maybe on a paper plate? Then posts their experience with textures, grain sizes, etc and can recommend the best choice?

I'd go with Nancy's suggestion and use powder eye shadow (scads of colors are available and some of them super cheap)... but instead of using the foam applicator, I'd try a makeup brush...blow off the excess and then tap the brush onto the surface to get the dusty look....

I'm not planning on making heaping piles of it :lol: :p so i don't see how it would attract pests, but i don't live in a bug infested area of the country either, so it may not be a problem regardless.

:yes: Of course you wouldn't use heaps of it :lol: But, ya gotta understand that I'm a bug-a-phobe -- if it even sounds like it could, possibly, on an outside chance however remote, attract a gnat -- I'm against it :) Just one of my many small, endearing eccentricities (I'm really popular at cookouts :p )

thank you so much for the fantastic suggestions!

i don't know why i didn't think of chalk pastels since i have oodles of them laying about. and brownish eyeshadows too! methinks i will be doing some experimenting tomorrow. i'd be happy to post the results if anyone is curious.

mine too Shaky!! when i win the lottery (ha ha ha ha ha ha) :yes: , i'm gonna buy a house that sucks...literally! one that has a built in vacuum system!! of course, the lottery gods haven't sent anything my way, so for now i just have to rely on my little canister to do the job...sigh!! :p

To me, real dust is the way to go, according to the Thomas's (Pat and Noel-my heros for dollhouse making) real dirt is the ONLY way to go. Collect it and stick it in the oven at 350 for an hour or so. This sterilizes it, same goes for sand.

experiment results:

first up we have regular human make-up. i believe this is actually MAC brand eyeshadow in a taupe shade. i applied it with a soft make-up brush, but it still came out a bit lumpy.

dust1.jpg

dust1a.jpg

secondly we have shaved chalk pastels in a flesh colour. which, in my humble opinion, worked far far better. i'm sure it would work even better with more build up but this was just an experiment. i shaved the pastels with my handy x-acto knife and gently blew the dust onto the table top.

dust2.jpg

dust2a.jpg

hope that helped a little!

Now your table looks nearly as dusty as the whole furniture in my dollhouses. :lol: Can't wait to see pics of your finished dollhouse! I love houses with a spooky atmosphere! Will some of your selfmade dolls live in it?

I have been delighted with the effects the powdered chalk pastels give, I began using them with my dolls, too. They give all sorts of delicate nuances of color & tone :lol: :D

How do you "set" the powder so it doesn't rub off?

That would be my suggestion, since real dust would be too large. I use a very fine spice grater (it grated whole nutmeg into powder, but risky to my fingers, so I washed it & use it with chalk pastels). You can gently rub tiny piles of white, gray and light brown and use a cotton ball or Q-tip to gently dab it where you want it. Lightly tamping or rubbing it with your finger ought to blend it into believable dust. I used this method to sooty up the McKinley fireplace and now the owner doesn't want to put a firescreen in front of it!

Grating pastell chalks are a great way, you can start with sort of rub it on a coarse sandpaper and collect the dust on a piece of wax paper, or you can use a mortar and pestle (hmm, is that right word??) and sort of grind it like that as I am way to scared in the grater-dep with the nails and thumbs and fingertips... (yup been there DONE that and they red did in fact interefere with the colour choices I had made so to speak :lol: )

THen place the wax paper in front of the area you want to be dusted, and use an empty spray bottle/misting bottle of sort and gently pump air which will give the powder some air...

Hugs

I would offer to send you some of my dust but that means I would have to take it off the furniture. I'll let you visit with it if you would like. Just don't write your name in it.

I really have nothing to offer you in the way of making or keeping dust on your mini furniture but this conversation has been delightful to read.

Good luck :thumb: