Half scale furniture - hard to find

Just One More

I've been working on my 1/2 scale Jefferson. I got out the furniture I had saved from when I had the Fairfield. I have the dining room and one bedroom. The second bedroom only has the bed. The kitchen I had then has a wood stove, a sink I made and a cute wooden ice box. There is also a kitchen table and chairs. I have a three piece bathroom. I need more for the living room. All I have is a sofa and a Grandfathers clock and a coffee table. Looking at HBS where I do a lot of my mini shopping, there is hardly any 1/2 scale. They have one Victorian LR set but it's almost $40.00. I can put the house together but without enough furniture it won't be much fun to work on. Is there anyplace anyone knows of with affordable 1/2 scale furniture, kits or patterns to make furniture?

• Like 1

Pat,

HSB has another entity..miniatures.com. They have listed the 1/2" scale items." sdk miniatures " have the best kits, "Homes in miniatures"; " New England Miniatures" and "Mountain Miniatures" have furniture. I use Ebay a lot.Hope that helps a little.

Gail :bear:

Petite properties as mentioned above has nice card stock kits... they are easy to assemble and look really nice when put together... they are a bit higher priced though because of the dollar to pound conversion but they are well worth the money. Also as mentioned above SDK miniatures has GREAT kits and are very affordable. I have purchased many many many kits from her... I also do a lot of watching on Ebay for older kits that are not available anymore..... hope this helps.

Also look at ScaleDesigns for half scale kits. They have Cassidy Creations kits which are fun to make and very detailed. And don't forget Kris's site http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/?m=1

Check Rbytsdy's blog. She recently built Kris's lovely bed in half scale by reducing the pattern. I'm thinking of trying the chaise lounge :)

Also, Greenleaf has half scale furniture kits which are each an entire room. Kellyannmo has built some of these and done some very cute mods with paint and hardware. I think these kits have a lot of potential.

Thanks for the mention, Debora! In reply to "hard to find", I was about to say, I'll second that! :bear: I did find a half-scale bathroom set at Hobby Lobby for just a few bucks on one of their sales. Well, OK, the sink and toilet are good to scale, but I had to do some work on the tub.

post-928-0-82998100-1383410854_thumb.jpg

Warning-I'm off-topic here: When I try to click on this entry,I keep getting a content coding error message,saying it's an 'invalid or unsupported form of compression' and to report it to site owner...?! BUT,when I went to Pat's profile and clicked on Topics and then clicked this title...well,here I am....weird! I guess sometimes you just have to go in the backdoor around here!lol

But,more closely on topic,I am getting very interested every time anyone talks about 1/2 scale...I'll have to make note of these places to find furniture,for the future....Sorry about the way off topic opening!

yes... Greenleaf's 1/2 scale kits are very reasonable and easy to assemble... I have done quiet a few of them... I do like them painted and accessorized... I do have pictures of them in my gallery. Here are a couple of sets I did from them....

med_gallery_6564_5385_226804.jpg

il_fullxfull.497681641_iirn.jpg?ref=l2

• Like 1

I absolutely love what everyone has done with the half scale Greenleaf furniture. I have had the hardest time trying to find half scale furniture for my Fairfield. It seems like every shop has the same furniture pieces and no other selection. Then when you find the one shop that has something different, a needle in a haystack practically, it costs more than the dollhouse kit did. I'm seriously considering the Greenleaf kits now, especially with how beautifully finished they are in these pictures. Thanks for the post.

• Like 1

I'll look at the Greenleaf kits. They do look to scale more than some I've seen. Some of the wood is too thick on the 1/2 scale furniture and doesn't look real like the 1/12 scale does. It looks more toy-like which would be nice for a cottage for children but realism is important to me, as I'm sure it is to everyone working in 1/2 scale. The Jefferson is quite a bit smaller than the Fairfield which has more room for furniture. Maybe it's because all the rooms are seen from the front on the Jefferson. The Fairfield has such a nice floor plan. I wish GL would make it in 1/12 scale.

Pat, I have a few books for making 1:12 scale furniture I redrafted to 1:24 for my Fairfields. The furniture I got from HBS was too small for 1:24 scale! Doon't forget that New England Miniatures is our very own Grazhina!

thanks folks :) I have found all the kits to be pretty good in scale (except for the kitchen set which seems a bit too large I think) ... while they aren't the high end furniture I drool over from time to time... they look cute dressed up... and they fit my budget

• Like 1